Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Shovester

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shovester

I have been toying with the idea of putting shovelhead jugs on my motor when I rebuild it. Anyone have any experience with this? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I want to build a bigbore engine to increase torque without sacrificing it's high rev ability as strokers do. I am also thinking of high compression pistons and a large oil cooler with a high volume oil pump to drive it.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Shovester

Lotsa machine work necessary to the Sporty bottom, and to the Shovel heads. Special cams, rocker arms, and I forget what all else. It's an awful lot of work, and an awful lot of money, for not really any more return than from a big bore Sporty engine.

If'n the bug is chewin' and making you itch, try scratchin' it with one of the S&S Sporty motors. They uselate model cases already fitted out for up to about 90 inches.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Did a little digging. You might try contacting Trock. I don't have a link, so you'll need to do a search. The cases - cylinder deck area - have to be built up with weld so the wider Shovel cylinder bases will mate up. Cylinder bolt holes in the cases have to be welded up/redrilled, too. Don't know if just the cases,just the cylinder bases, or both have to be redone. Since Shovel push rod angles are way different than the XL the rocker boxes have to be machined to accept the new angle and seal up. You can still use stock XL cams, and the stock XL tappets, and the stock FL rocker arms. Not sure about the pushrods as it will depend on the height change from the lifter block/tappets to the rocker arms. Some work has to be done on the cylinder fins to clear the push rod tubes, too. And don't forget the custom exhaust that'll need fabbed up.

Lotsa expense any way you look at it. They do look cool!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Trock Cycles are the experts. Here's an old poster.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...2/Shovster.jpg

Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 AM
K7DDO
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel Head Sportster "Shovester" ***New Reply**

I don't have any personal experience with this bike, however, among a group of friends from my dad there is a mechanic out of Vacaville that has built this bike a few times. After a few for the street, he put together a drag bike in the early 80's and that shovester ran for over a year consistantly putting down 10's without a rebuild. It is stroker engine by default and it RUNS. You will not be sorry if you get it built right the first time. I have been thinking of building with this guy for my first ever HD, Iron head's are becoming less desirable around where I am and with the reputation the engine has and the supply of parts I believe it will be a great investment. I am obviously pro, for this engine and chassis, one modification to the chassis is the front motor mount and after that it is all machinist work, so if you get the right professional machinist that engine will last a long time for you. Depending on the gears and the pulley that engine has really long legs and produces ample HP to the rear wheel. If you want more info e-mail me at goodonenelson@gmail.com.
enjoy
-jem

Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post