Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

new ultima ignition

Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Awesome!

Old 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

so for now i have moved on from the ignition and i believe i can tune the carb alittle better. so i bought a front mastercylinder rebuild kita while back and i want to install it. I take the master cylinder apartand after i take the retaining ring out the plunger is stuck so i push it it a couple of times and it stays stuck deeper in there. Eventially i get it out and the cylinder in filled with crude and there is a tiny amount of crude in the resevor. The book says to clean it with denatored alchohol but i still could not get it totally cleaned out.
Im looking around my shop thinking of something i can clean it with. End of the story is i cleaned it with a soft 20 gauge bore cleaner and denatured alcohol. It fit perfect. Then finished with compressed air. I damaged the elbow that comes out of the master cylinder when i was trying to remove it.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The damaged elbow should not be a big problem if you can save the threads, especially those in the master cylinder. You can get a replacement elbow at an auto parts store.

I did have a difficult time finding the correct part for mine. There are more than a few parts that are quite similar though not the same. Fortunately the parts guy at the store [CarQuest i think] did not give up easily. They had a large assortment and we finally found exactly the correct part.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:13 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

i found the correct elbow at the auto parts store. shiny brass instead of chrome but looks fine. I got everything put back togethr but i had not filled it with fluid or bleed the brakes because i ran out of time.

Mick , thankyou so much for your help with all of this

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
rydeer and sasquatch 38

i want to take the s&s off and clean it and go through it alittle bit because before i bought the bike it sat for years. I got the bike running and started fixing it up but it never ran "great", I rode it around town for about a year that way. the last year it has mostly been in the garage sitting and i have been doing little things here and there but it hasnt been running much

any advise on cleaning this carb?
There are not many parts to deal with. Only real wear items are needle and idle adj. Float bowl gasket is only real worry on disassembly. Soak in carb cleaner, Be sure float still floats in gas (not heavy/full of gas) and blow out with air. Don't use sharp pointy things to scrape and it should be fine. I forget the float setting but google is Your friend. Look for obvious damage like anything else. You are on the right track with ignition first. Causes most problems. I ran some pretty crappy looking super e's and b's in the day!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

just checkin in to say that the bike is running great after installing the new ignition and cleaning the carb. It runs like a different bike

Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Awesome to hear this