Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead drain? vent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
nemesistech
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ironhead drain? vent?

Please refer to the picture. The first question I have, on #1, there is a plug that is in the case atsort of anangle. It is to the left of the bolt hole in the picture. What is the plug for, is it sometimes unplugged and used as a vent? Just curious if something should go there besides the plug.
For #2 and 3, imagine the cover was back on. I know the threaded hole on the rear of the cover, approx #3 location, is a vent. But my cover has a hole on the bottom, approx where #2 is, that looks like it was welded shut at some time. It goes up into the cover and connects with other passages.Was this a drain, vent, or just a sealed part of the cover that maybe cracked, and they just welded up? thanks for the help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13330/1EA7C915063D4CDE9352B047E8FA76EC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13330/D31B2E6142BA489E81FFB11EDFD0F93B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ironhead drain? vent?

Number 1 is where someone blocked off the automatic chain oiler passage. I am not sure I understand the question about numbers 2 and 3. I have always had my oiler blocked off.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
nemesistech
Advanced

Thanks, forgot about the dam oiler. Heres a correct picture to make it easier. This is not a pic of my cover, but it is the same. #3 is obviousally the vent.
But do you see where the arrow on #2 points to? That rectangle gusset? It looks like part of it was cracked at one time, and welded. I ground the weld to clean it up and repair it, I ground into the rectangular gusset quite a bit because I wanted to reinforce it. As I was gringind it down near the top, closer to the case wall, right around #4, I found it was not solid and actuallyhas a oil port or galley in it, or part of it.The galley goes up into the cover and connnects with other passages, it connects to the hole you see right above it #5.
Because this cover was repaired at one time, I am not sure if the galley went all the way thru the gusset to the bottom and there was some sort of drain plug on there, or it was just sealed in the gusset. Has any one ever seen a cover with a drain plug, vent hose, oil line, etc connected to a fitting where #2 is? thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13330/1FA8918344A54DAB8D0040F7CF3EB51F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

'Has any one ever seen a cover with a drain plug, vent hose, oil line, etc connected to a fitting where #2 is?'

ina word.....Never!
As to the hole in the bottom of the timing cover all I can offer is this:
I looked at mine (1971) and clearly see where the cover has been welded up. It appears that a hole was welded closed. This was done at the factory. The reason I can only assume.....The hole was needed to complete part of the machining operation on the cover. Once finished, the hole would have been welded up to prevent oil leakage.
You can see from the photos where this is located at in my timing cover. Compare to yours for location. In one view in particular you will see that it is clearly a weld over a hole. Yours should be just the same....i.e., no hole in the bottom of the cover.........pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/E9888936CE5D4F229B26DA29E575F311.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/C454213BDD2F4BAC8C095578E3A90463.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/56E1120BB5D24EA49BF5D6537E875B3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

'But do you see where the arrow on #2 points to? That rectangle gusset? It looks like part of it was cracked at one time, and welded. I ground the weld to clean it up and repair it, I ground into the rectangular gusset quite a bit because I wanted to reinforce it. As I was gringind it down near the top, closer to the case wall, right around #4, I found it was not solid and actuallyhas a oil port or galley in it, or part of it.The galley goes up into the cover and connnects with other passages, it connects to the hole you see right above it #5.
Because this cover was repaired at one time, I am not sure if the galley went all the way thru the gusset to the bottom and there was some sort of drain plug on there, or it was just sealed in the gusset.'

I will just do a follow up here with regards to my previous reply, using reference to your photo.
#2 (but in the cover) is where you see the weld, correct? That weld was made by the factory.
#4 is indeed a channel for oil. #4 passage will be connected to #5 passage.
Also, the bottom round hole in the crankcase is the home of the piniongear shaft. This hole needs oil too. How is the oil going to drain from the pinion hole to #5? Well, it is not going to until the factory drills a hole at #2, going up the length of #4, passing by #5, and finally drilling into that angled rectangle connected to the pinion hole. Now everything is fine, except the oil will leak out of #2, so the answer for the factory is to weld up #2. I hope that explains it better.
All of the forgoing I do not know as fact, but rather just my idea of what was done and why it was done..........pg

Old 02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
nemesistech
Advanced

Thanks, that explains a lot. I always like to know why something was done and how it exactly works. I think you hit the nail right on the head here, as usual. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing make me wonder, why you have removed cam cover ? oil leak ? Make sure that you use new seal with correct thickness in cam cover or camshaft end play need to readjusted.
One thing removing cam cover without removing pushrods isn't very good idea...