Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

The "Correct" way to Kick-Start a XLCH

Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The "Correct" way to Kick-Start a XLCH

I think that every XLCH is a little different in what it takes to get it to fire.
Interestingly, before I did the last top end on mine, the procedure was very different from this.
This is what works now:

Whenthe engine iscold, it takes a lot of fuel to get it to fire.
Cold start procedure:

Fuel on, Switch off,Three quarterschoke, Two throttle twists (primeusing theaccelerator pump).

Twokicks.

One throttle twist, Half choke, Throttle cracked (maybe a quarter inch), Switch on.

One to three kicks will almost always start it now. Choke is only needed for about thirty seconds.

When the engine is hot, it isREAL easy to flood.
Hot start procedure:

Fuel on, Switch on, NO choke, NO throttle twists, Throttle cracked.

If it doesn't fire on one to three kicks,

Throttle WFO.

One to threekicks will almost always start it now.

As toa kickstarterbeing a leg breaker or catapult, it candefinitely hurt youif you don't give it the proper respect and care.

It did occasionally try to break my knee when the ratchet let go at the critical moment. A new ratchet kit from VTwinstopped that.

My old 76 XLCH has never kicked back, even when the timing was a little bit off. I will offer one caution. Kickstarting a Sportster takes an "Everything you got" effort on the starter pedal. Anything less is asking for trouble.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:00 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 64 XLCH and used to loosen the mag and retard the timing when it was cold out. Then once it was running I would advance it to the line I scribed.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Motorcycho
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get right down to it
Isn't this the Eternal Question!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:07 AM
jones
Intermediate

Here's a video of kickstarting mine on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0gg2_wK4DY

Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 PM
thewind
Stage I

Aloha

I had to join this forum to respond to this thread!
Great thread, my son and I were laughing our butts off at the posts.......lol

I have a 66xlch with a mag, I've had it for over 25 years and it has never let me down.

When I first got it put back together after I bought it and tore it down. I went to start it and every time I kicked it, it kicked back HARD!
This went on for an hour or so and then my buddy who was already a "Harley" rider, tried to kick it, you know the guy, he is a bad *** biker and can start it........right? Wrong!!! He kicked it a couple of times and then it slipped through, HARD........he laid on the growd for a while moaning........it scared me!

I decided if that is what owning that bike was about, I didn't want it! However before I totally gave up we took it down to the local shop, where the brother had owned old Xlchs for years, he laughed at our sorry asses, he simply moved the mag and on the first kick it fired, the second kick it fired and well us old Sporty owners know the third kick is the charm! It roared to life!

I have had it slip through and hurt me, but for the most part the secret is simple, don't side saddle the bike,,, get on it and do your ritual with the gas and then leave it alone or you WILL be kicking for a while, when you kick, kick with power, but always keep your knee BENT
at least a little, smaller guys or gals may have a problem getting the power , but keeping your knee a little bent will allow for the dreaded slip if it does happen........and it does, when you least expect it! If your knee is a little bent it can't over extend.....you won't get the crippled. As for the lauch over the bars, I have never seen it happen, but I have had that sucker come up hard enough to hurt the bottom of my foot! Oh, I don't have the advance on the left side, I just leave it in a place that is kickable and it runs........been there for 25 years, so it is possible, I rode across the US 3 times on my bike, never stranded me EVER.......they are awesome machines, but you must EARN your ride, no wannbes need apply for these beasts, they will HURT you if your not respectful.......I wouldn't trade my old friend for any bike!

[/align]

Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finding the right combination for kick-starting is an art. Trying iton an XLCH complete with magneto and an S&S "B" is not for the faint of heart. The best way to learn "how" to do it is by first learning "how not" to do it.......

It also helps to get a case of your favorite adult beverage while completing this task. You may need the beverage for medicinal use!

[IMG]local://upfiles/53097/D7C6FAB96DDC4BA88057BBFEBBF37DE0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2008, 04:43 AM
csd4682
Advanced

make that 3 1975 xlch's, here is my new bike, its in good shape, and top end is brand new but I plan on making it into great shape. definatly looking into electric start conversion

[IMG]local://upfiles/56360/8FE03C51358D48B8866F4DCB747ECA23.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM
NotHere
Banned

I agree with Sportsterbob. Memorize & avoid the list of what does NOT work. Do not use starting fluid!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Dante_MN
Stage IV

Originally Posted by ironxl
I think that every XLCH is a little different in what it takes to get it to fire.
Interestingly, before I did the last top end on mine, the procedure was very different from this.
This is what works now:

Whenthe engine iscold, it takes a lot of fuel to get it to fire.
Cold start procedure:

Fuel on, Switch off,Three quarterschoke, Two throttle twists (primeusing theaccelerator pump).

Twokicks.

One throttle twist, Half choke, Throttle cracked (maybe a quarter inch), Switch on.

One to three kicks will almost always start it now. Choke is only needed for about thirty seconds.

When the engine is hot, it isREAL easy to flood.
Hot start procedure:

Fuel on, Switch on, NO choke, NO throttle twists, Throttle cracked.

If it doesn't fire on one to three kicks,

Throttle WFO.

One to threekicks will almost always start it now.

As toa kickstarterbeing a leg breaker or catapult, it candefinitely hurt youif you don't give it the proper respect and care.

It did occasionally try to break my knee when the ratchet let go at the critical moment. A new ratchet kit from VTwinstopped that.

My old 76 XLCH has never kicked back, even when the timing was a little bit off. I will offer one caution. Kickstarting a Sportster takes an "Everything you got" effort on the starter pedal. Anything less is asking for trouble.
Well I wish I would have thought to search on this subject six months ago as it would have saved me a lot of grief!

Tried these suggestions last night on my 67 XLCH chopper and they worked very well!!!

Thanks to everyone here who contributed!

~Dante

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante_MN
Well I wish I would have thought to search on this subject six months ago as it would have saved me a lot of grief!

Tried these suggestions last night on my 67 XLCH chopper and they worked very well!!!

Thanks to everyone here who contributed!

~Dante
I usually give my idle speed screw a half turn in also to give the "cracked" throttle effect and a little fast idle when she first fires up.