Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

71 XLCH Timing Marks Don't Line Up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Satch
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 XLCH Timing Marks Don't Line Up?

Never been on a forum before, never owned a Harley before but am mechanically inclined so bear with me.

I recently bough a 71 XLCH rigid frame and am completely going through it. It ran very well but needed cosmetic work and a few tweaks here and there. I removed the cam cover to replace the shifter bushing no problem. I wanted to make sure all the timing marks lined up just for piece of mind since I would need to be setting the timing, well they didn't. When the timing mark was dead center in the sight whole all the timing marks on the cams were off by about three or so teeth. If I continued to roate the crank they would eventually all line up but now the TDC timing mark was no were to be seen. Sooo I started over, pulled all the gears/cams out. Set the TDC mark to center and started to align all the cam marks. They all line up except for the main pinion shaft? The mark on this is roughly at 2:00 and should be at roughly 11:00. Since this is directly connected to the crank and TDC mark moving this would move the TDC mark? Am I missing something or has this been seen by others and what's the best fix. Could this last pinion gear be wrong and I should set it up with all the marks lined up but this one? By the way the oil pump timing mark is facing outward as it should when at TDC. I can send a good pic via email if needed - I guess I don't have the right privilages yet to post pics?

I can't find anyone around here that knows anything about these and the dealerships act like I have the plague when I mention Ironhead?

Please help me!

Satch

Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 AM
sandago
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 71 XLCH Timing Marks Don't Line Up?

I recently experienced the same thing with my 1000 cc '74 Sportster. Drives you nuts...
actually I found out that lining up the marks on the cam andpinion gears will put the timing mark on the crank in the acceptable range with respect to the timing hole according to the book.
On my flywheel there are also a couple of dots not far from the line mark. Fired it up last week and it sounds right....probably time it with the light this weekend. Also if you removed the oil pump you may have to time the breather hole...thats easy to get 180 degrees off.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 71 XLCH Timing Marks Don't Line Up?

First off, if you removed all of the cams, you must have also removed all of the thin shim washers that are on each cam, as well as the 2 cam gear plates that sit on each pair of cams.
Did you re-install the cams with the EXACT SAME SHIM PACK that was on the cam? If the answer is no, then you have a problem. I will not go into that here because of what you will have to do to fix it.

So, I assume the answer to the question I ask is yes.
To start with, you need to make sure the breather is timed correctly.
You do this by positioning the timing mark on the flywheel directly in the center of the timing hole on the left crankcase. With the slash mark in that position, the breather is correcly timed if the timing hole in the breather sleeve is facing outward and lined up with the notch right below it.
This timing hole for the breather and the notch I refer to is located just below the spiral gear that sits atop the oil pump breather sleeve.
Don't try to remove the pinion gear. That takes a special gear puller having 5/16-18 Left Hand threads.
If you find the breather is timed correctly, you do not have to pay any further attention to where the timing mark (on the flywheel) is with reference to the center of the leftside crankcase hole to go ahead and install the cams.

With the breather timing (check) out of the way you can now install and line up the timing marks on all 4 cams and the mark on the pinion gear.
Insert the cam gear plates with the beveled holes facing outward toward the cams.
Install the same shims that were with each separate cam.
Install a good gasket that you have purchased......not a homemade gasket. Remember, the gasket thickness will affect cam end play.
Oil the cams fully with oil and install the cover. Tighten the cover in a cross pattern and snug down the screws evenly. Reset the pushrod/tappet clearance properly and you should be good to go.

Again, if you have mixed up those shims you will need to re-check each cam for the proper end play which is between .001 and .005 max. before you even think about installing the cams and cover back on...............pg