Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

73 Ironhead Rebuild and qustions on parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
sic_graphics
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 73 Ironhead Rebuild and qustions on parts

I have a 73 Ironhead sportster but I am not understanding why I can not upgrade my handle bar controls and have to use such outdated ones that do not last long... it only controls signals and headlight clutch and brake and throtle. any handle bar controls should work for this right???? I want to upgrade my handlebars to drag bars and fix the handle bar controls too...
Please advise.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I do not get why you think you cannot upgrade. You can install any bars and controls you want including Evo controls. Of course you would need to do some re-wiring.

"it only controls signals and headlight clutch and brake and throtle", What else do you want? About the only difference with the modern controls is the way the turn signals work.

You should get a copy of the factory parts catalog 99451-78B along with the factory service manual 99484-78. These are widely available thru any HD dealership, indie motorcycle shop, J&P Cycles, eBay, internet sellers like motorcyclemanuals.com, Amazon, Abebooks, etc.

To do the re-wiring you need to study the factory wire diagrams. You will find these in black & white in the service manual. The Haynes manual has them in color using the original wire colors; these are much easier to follow.

It will help to be handy with a side cutter and a soldering stick.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
sic_graphics
Cruiser

Thanks thats what I thought. I have jp cycles book and the complete repair manual for the bike but mechanics tell me cant put better controls on the bars cant put smaller oil tank and bat on the bike has to stay with stock parts... I dont mind fabricating mounting and welding part and sodering wires to make things work. thanks for the advise.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

You can put a differently shaped oil tank on the bike but it must not be smaller - must hold 3 quarts. There are many options available - some guys have even used cool old fire extinguishers etc.

You can put a smaller battery on the bike. If yours is an XLH [electric start] it has to have the correct cranking amps. The new VRod battery is a popular choice. I do not know about the XLCH [kick start only] bikes.

The factory manuals i referenced above are far better than the Haynes, Clymer, etc after market manuals. The latter are good to have as they provide a different point of view, but the two factory manuals are the essentials.

IMO these bikes are best maintained in original or at least close to original condition. They look best original, and are worth much more money; and they will continue to appreciate in value as the years go by.

Especially do not ever cut/weld an original unmodified IronHead frame. There are lots out there that can be had already chopped up, and once wrecked it can never be original again. And they are not making them any more, eh.

Chopped frame/modified bikes will never be worth the cost of making them that way.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
AtlasMick
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, I have a '73 Ironhead as well. Here is the stock diagram. I have modified it and added information that isn't that common of knowledge. I have put down the AWG sizes I used for my re-wire but you can use 18AWG for almost everything.

Attached Thumbnails 73 Ironhead Rebuild and qustions on parts-wiring-diagram-xl-1973-1974-no-d.-signals.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:54 AM
sic_graphics
Cruiser

Thank you for the advised mick. I do not want to cut or weld the frame at all i like the original look of it... but there are some things I would like to upgrade or customize during the rebuild. I am even going to have the stock cans and heads cleaned up and recoated to keep as original as possible... I will have a lot more questions as time goes on... thank you for the wiring diagram AtlasMick that will help alot once i get the bike apart to clean up the wiring that is all electrical taped to the bike... in my garage photo are 2 pics of the bike now. I will be putting up a photoshop of how it will look by april. I will be starting the project in Jan.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:13 PM
sic_graphics
Cruiser

so this is the idea that I am going for for the build but with a couple of variations from this exact... I will list them out in detail and if any one has an advise on any of this or suggestions on where to get parts, if parts will work from your personal experience or not or tips or tricks for the work.
If you have pictures of any of the listed items on your bike and you would like to show me so I can see better of what i have in my head would be greatly appreciated.

I will also post pics of parts I already have and photo shop of what I have in my head

what it looks like now

what I want it to look like

Front end
23" wheel x2.5
new break caliper upgraded from bannana caliper and new disc
new front render for 23 inch wheel ( you will see in my pics of my bike i have a short fender want it a little longer and narrow)
(may stay with 19" wheel if that is all i can do for white wall tire like in pic.)
Stock forks no rake over stock
bullet shaped headlight flat black no longer holding light eyebrow.
small bullet shaped turn signals of the fork

Handle bard
6" - 8" risers
t bar / drag bars.
upgraded to newer controls with better starter buttons and turn signal buttons ect..
new mirrors

Engine
Stock engine Jugs and heads pulled and blasted to remove little rust from Illinois and re-coat with high temp black to seal and outline the edge of ribs in Red.
re-polish/chrome push rods and the tops of the heads.
re-chrome the engine casings on both sides

body and paint
New 3.5 gal tank
New Front fender long and narrow
New Short rear fender
this will be all flat black with a ghost flames in the flat black..
Red, Black, White Gloss simple pinstripes on front and back fender
Old school woody wood pecker on sides of tank

Rear end.
would like shorter shock like in picture above
would like red accent in shock spings
small rear fender covering rear tire about 2/3 back from seat
keeping springer seat no rear seat.
side license place mount
keeping rear wheel.
white wall rear tire.
want to powder coat the front and rear wheel red. ( not the spokes just the rims.)

If there is more I can think of I will add it.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Hey sic,
I also have a '73. Mine is a XLCH. Had a blast building it a couple years ago! Just got back from a little cruze this evening! When installing my drag bars, I went with just a run of the mill set of controls and everything wired up pretty easily. I had to bend a pin or two to keep them from grounding out on the bars, of course , I didn't use the electric start button, and with the speedo I used (with integrated indicator lights) I had to solder in diodes to keep my turn signals from acting like four ways.And there is a place in northern Ca on ebay that specializes in Ironhead and Shovel parts. They made quick work of getting me proper length speedo cable and brake lines. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name. All in all, it went pretty smooth! Happy building! These are the best bikes in the world! (although , I may see if I can find another one with electric start someday!)

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by nwpaironhead
... And there is a place in northern Ca on ebay that specializes in Ironhead and Shovel parts. ... Not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name. ...
Please mention the name.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

The name of their shop is Old Stuff Cycles. They could be found under "Old Stuff" or Grenade Suzy" Hope I didnt break any rules!

Quick Reply: 73 Ironhead Rebuild and qustions on parts