Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1965 HD Sportster in great running condition with some alterations

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Piston Head
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 HD Sportster in great running condition with some alterations

Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to sell my 1965 HD Sportster and I would like to get input as to how much it may be worth. It is a great running bike and has been professionally maintenanced and rebuilt. It has a one of a kind look but it is not a show bike. I ride it daily. I will try to put in a picture soon. I have seen 65's go from 5k-12k. It still has the original cast iron heads and chrome engine covers. I believe the chrome wire spokes are also original.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 1965 HD Sportster in great running condition with some alterations

First off, you have a very nice looking bike.
It has no electric starter and it is a 1965, so that indicates it is an XLCH. The engine has the magneto, so that certifies it is a CH.
The engine looks pretty much original, except for one thing I noticed.
Going over to the primary cover, it is missing the original tin cover and in place of that, someone installed a cast aluminum primary cover off of an XLH model. So it is not original.

The front end is certainly not 1965, nor is the double disc brake set up. Don't get me wrong, the disc is a much better brake, but it detracts greatly from the fact that the machine is a 1965.

Another thing I seem to detect that the front of the frame has been raked out. I would hope not because that too will detract from the value. At least it would to someone like me.
When you take parts off a period bike it always reduces the value.

If you had a truely 100%1965 in the condition yours is in, it may well bring $8 to $10K to the right buyer. As it is, I believe you can expect to sell yours for as much as $6K, again to the right buyer.
Just as a comparasion, I place a value on my old red 1971 XLCH at $5K. Except for the goofy red paint job I put on it and the older solo seat, it is as I bought it in 1973. Would anyone give me $5K for it? Maybe not, but that is what I have on it for a value, and it is not for sale of course. Good luck with your sale. Price it right and it will sell quickly........pg

Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Piston and Pinion,

Don't know if it's really a CH or H--the Hs didn't get a push button start until 67 and you do have the H cover. You have the later oil tank, and while the engine covers are probably original, they weren't
originally chrome. A lot of guys with Hs tried to make them into CHs, including adding the mag, so it's hard to tell. The numbers on the boss will tell you instantly whether it's an H or CH but in this case I don't think it matters much.

It's a nice bike and amalgam of many years. Who knows what the right buyer might pay? Obviously, it would be worth more if it were more original, but a lot of guys would rather ride one that isn't stock.

If you have receipts for all the engine work and if it has no problems, you might get five for it. Who knows, maybe more. But I'd say four is a more reasonable ball park.

Pinion--let me know when yours goes on the block. If you catch me with any dough, I'd be interested.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:34 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Pinion--let me know when yours goes on the block. If you catch me with any dough, I'd be interested.

Sure will Moon. But right now I think the plan is for the wife to drop it in the hole on top of me when the time comes. Then fill the hole in......pg

Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good plan, Pinion.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Piston Head
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anyone have any information about the 1989 FXR used in the movie Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man? Are there any out there, even close? I was considering a ground pounder as well but I do like the comfort of some rear suspention.