Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

no oil to rocker

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
jcsportster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no oil to rocker

Long story short, put new oil lines on bike. when I cranked it to check for leaks, I noticed the return line swelling. Shut it off and found the line pinched under starter. Fixed it. Cranked it and checked for leaks. Noticed top end sounded louder. Checked pushrods and they were as dry as when I put them in after changing pushrod tube gaskets. Appears I messed something up when then pressure built up. What do I need to look for, and how bad did I mess it up?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: no oil to rocker

Check to make sure lines are connected correctly, pump must be primed when oil lines are replaced, loosen&nbsp\\;presure switch with motor running and allow about 3 ounces of oil to run out.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 AM
jcsportster
Cruiser

I've done that. I can take line loose at cooler (return line to tank) and have oil flow. I can remove seat and take return line loose at tank and have oil flow. But doesnt seem to be getting oil to rocker. Can I remove that little allen screw on front/right side of rocker box and check for oil? Seems to be flowing back to tank, just not to top end. Didnt know if there was something in oil pump that seperated oil and sent to top end and botttom end.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yes you can remove the allen nuts to check for oil flow

Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
jcsportster
Cruiser

I can pull screw when I get home, but I'm about 99% sure that theres no oil getting to it. If so, what would have happened when the pressure built up that would be causing this.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I cannot believe that at all. Nothing could cause oil not to get to the rockers if the oil is getting to the crank it is getting to the rockers......pg

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
jcsportster
Cruiser

Your probably right again. I'll explain but will have to post a dozen times because I keep getting "error" message when I type more than two sentences.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
jcsportster
Cruiser

When I changed hoses I just bumped her over for a second-long enough to get flow out the hose for a second or two. Today I was going to bump her for a awhile to let oil drain in pan instead of on floor.(took return loose at cooler and put pan under oil cooler) Got good flow, then a few drops, good flow, a few drops, etc. Appeared the pump wasnt pumping real good.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
jcsportster
Cruiser

Pulled pump and turned it over and removed bottom. Blew into feed port and had trouble blowing air through it. Took a deep breath and blew hard and something small and light bounced off my stomach (I was sitting in chair at time with opening looking down) Suddenly the feed port is open and moving air freely. Not sure what came out, didnt see it and couldnt find it..but bet it was restricting flow most of time and blocking it some of time.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
jcsportster
Cruiser

Piniongear, do you think this could be the culprit? Hope you can say yeah. And while the pump is out, what do I need to do to it besides new o-rings and gasket? Not sure I want to take it apart too much since I think it probably works when it can get oil. Not sure where the piece of debris came from, but just another reason to get an aftermarket oil cooler.

Quick Reply: no oil to rocker