Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead - Shovelhead Which is it

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Back in the early 70's the joke was, you either rode a Harley or a Sportster. (Really ticked off the Sportster riders.) The only thing that was called an Iron head was a 36 to 47 Knucklehead.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:19 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Leg Rider
I think you are showing a blow up color of the big shovel and comparing it to a miniature BW of the 900 Sportster Ironhead. This is far more bull**** than the original post. To start the thread I was only putting forward a question more or less. So why so defensive? Certainly not trying to insult anyone. I had heard the phrase "Shovelhead" Sportster often enough to bring up the discussion.

Don't intend to insult the ol grandaddy big Shovel by saying a Sporty is one. Of course the tranny is separate and the big daddy walks the talk, but I was talking about the similar look at the top of the 79 1000cc Sportster. If one looks like a shovel, so does the other. Actually I don't see the shovel in either. -

But watch your insults unless you want this to get nasty.
---bring it on!

Aparently its encouraged to say "intellectual handicap" of a subject instead of a calling someone a dumb ***, so I ammended the original post to embrace that encouragment. And hopefully to stay in Terry's good graces for a little while longer, anyways as he owns an operates the HD Forum. (I hope he runs to my defense when in need and under attack)

While your question appears to be just a question (according to Terry) for me, it does reflect an inherent lack of really basic knowledge (effort on your part) of HD motors which can be rectified by purchasing any coffee table type book at the local book store. It will be written with the expressed content to illuminate the reader with regards to the various motors from 1903 until now (noticing the subtle differences in the transision years between motor runs like for instance.... Pan/shovel, shovel/EVO etc..) However, just visually(which is why I posted the 2 photos of the 2 different motors side by side in the hope that that it would assist you in hearing that popping sound) the differences between a shovel and a sportster are huge. Gapping in fact. Undeniable and unrefutable

If I knew where you lived I would send you a full size color glossy poster of the motors, give you a couple weeks to study then there would be a test. You would be able to answer such basic questions as 1)how many years did the knuckle engine production run? 2)what was the last year for the Panhead motor? 3)How big was the first fly wheel?4)What year was the first 74 cubic inch motor production?

At that point you should clearly see the error in anyone calling a sportster a shovel and could endeavor to correct that misnomer on the spot the next time it happens in your presence. And with conviction,malice and contempt of that person for having made such a grievace error of that magnitude, as a consequence of lack of effort into the most basic knowledge of the subject: Harley Davidson Motors.

Or I could give 2 shiets (which I don't) and let you continue on into the darkness of your ignorance.

Me? There so much I don't know about modern Harley motors and the modern day Harley's tech stuff. But I have bought books and manuals trying to figure out what it all means. Stuff like certs? Down loads? Stage I,II etc... The computer coding flashes on the bike and what they mean and how/why to do it.

I may have been wrong but you sounded like one of those people who own harleys and know nothing about them. I feel owning should be more then just that. My bad.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

I've seen enough and I think the question has been answered. A Sportster is not a Shovelhead.

The following 2 users liked this post by Terry TK:
rockher_man (02-12-2020), scooper321 (04-07-2018)