Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

starter wires? removing starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:10 PM
bb4l777
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter wires? removing starter?

ok at first my 1976 sportster ironhead would just click when i tried to start it. i got a new battery, but now my motorcycle will try to turn over once or twice and just stop. it gives a quick rrrr, rrrr...rrr, rrr. (haha, thats the only way i can explain it) someone suggested checking my the wires on my starter. i did and i found one frayed wire... would that keep the engine from starting?

also... someone told me to take off my starter and check and make sure the starter motor isnt jammed. but how do i go about taking off my starter?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRICIATED!!!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bb4l777
ok at first my 1976 sportster ironhead would just click when i tried to start it. i got a new battery, but now my motorcycle will try to turn over once or twice and just stop. it gives a quick rrrr, rrrr...rrr, rrr. (haha, thats the only way i can explain it) someone suggested checking my the wires on my starter. i did and i found one frayed wire... would that keep the engine from starting?

also... someone told me to take off my starter and check and make sure the starter motor isnt jammed. but how do i go about taking off my starter?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRICIATED!!!!!
First of all, you do not want to remove the starter just yet.
The partial turning over of the starter (which then stops turning) sounds like a low battery charge. Attach a 4 ampere (or smaller) battery charger to your battery overnight. Check the level of battery water first! Charge the battery.
Then see if it will start.
If the starter turns the engine over, then the starter and battery are fine. If the engine does not start, then you need to look into the carb next perhaps.
In another post you asked about a black cylinder with 5 wires to it and that this cylinder was mounted under the battery. Post a pic of this and we can try to identify it. It may be a starter solenoid or relay switch............pg

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM
bb4l777
Novice
Default already did.

i charged the battery overnight and then took it into checker this morning. they checked it and said that it had 300 cold cranking amps... which should be plenty to start the engine right?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
bb4l777
Novice

i charged the battery overnight and then took it into checker this morning. they checked it and said it had 300 cold cranking amps... which should be plenty to start the engine right?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

i charged the battery overnight and then took it into checker this morning. they checked it and said that it had 300 cold cranking amps... which should be plenty to start the engine right?
The electrolyte must read 1.270 or higher on a hydrometer for the battery to be fully charged and capable of starting the engine. Lacking a hydrometer to measure this, do the headlights burn brightly? Does the horn honk loudly? If yes, then the battery is most likely strong enough to spin the starter.
Remove both spark plugs and see if it will spin through. While you are at it, check the spark plugs for firing. If you have spark and the engine spins, then all that is left is the carb.....as far as problems go. Let us know.......pg

Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
bb4l777
Novice
Default check

headlights burn real bright. right turn signals work, but left turn signals dont work and neither does horn. thats a problem for another time tho.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Does the sound the starter makes, sound like something spinning or winding up?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

headlights burn real bright. right turn signals work, but left turn signals dont work and neither does horn. thats a problem for another time tho.
OK, if the headlight burns bright I will assume the battery is plenty strong for starting.
However, if you have any loose connections or frayed wires in the starting circuit, then that could be causing the starter not to fully spin. You have said the wires were good and connections were tight.....Correct?

The next step would be to remove the starter motor then and check for binding, commutator, and worn out brushes.

I assume you do not have a factory service manual?
I can provide you with the instructions to remove and inspect/repair the starter motor, but first tell me which brand of starter you have, Prestolite or Hitachi?...........pg

edit note: You said in an earlier post regarding something about a black cylinder having bad wires? If what you are talking about is the starter relay then that is something you need to fix/replace before you remove the starter motor.

Last edited by piniongear; 10-03-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added edit note regarding wires to relay.....
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
bb4l777
Novice

Supr2nr--no the starter just clicks. nothing that sounds like spinning or winding up.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 PM
bb4l777
Novice

piniongear-- i dont know if it is the starter relay or not... it directly under the battery on the opposite side of the fuel tank. it has about 4 or 5 wires on it and i know of one that is bad for sure! one of these 5wires is connected to a small box right next to it. the little box has three coils inside.

Last edited by bb4l777; 10-03-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: starter wires? removing starter?