Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

I think I smoked my new starter seloniod !!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I smoked my new starter seloniod !!!!

I just got my new seloniod put it in hit the button and pooof white smoke!!!! I replaced the starter relay under the battery tray and didn't have it in the correct way and it was touching the case so it cooked the positive wire from the from the top post on the seloniod to the relay under the battery tray.

So i fixed the relay and put in a new cable to replace the cooked one, hit the button and nothing.

So now when I hit the button and have a test light hooked up I have juice to the seloniod top lug thru the relay but no juice to the lower post of the seloniod which is where the starter is hooked up.

What do you guys think is the seloniod cooked ?

I did pull it out and test it on the bench and with a meter on it when I put juice in the top lug and juice the the small lug I get voltage on the bottom lug so what is the problem ??

Thanks

T-Ron

Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

Can you hear the solenoid "click" as it operates? If so, the solenoid coil is OK, but the contacts might be burnt, pitted, greasy, oily, dirty, or otherwise screwed up!

Disconnect the lead going to the starter motor at the starter motor and repeat your test. If there is power at the end of the wire to the starter, but that power disappears when you hook the starter back up, you could have a poor crimp or solder connection on the wire, or the starter could have a problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Yep I can here it click. I will disconnect the starter and repeat the test . The seloniod is brand new I did open it to check to see if could see any cooked wires but didn't see any issues.

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Ok when I disconnect the starter I do get juice to the bottom lug. I check the cables and they seam to be in good shape so that leaves me with a starter issue? I did connect the starter for a split secound to the top lug and it spun like a mother !! So any ideas?

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Sounds like the relay got burnt. Have you put your test leads on the relay to make sure the starter button lead reads correctly as well as the trigger feed to the solenoid? Should be the green wire.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Yes I have the test light on the trigger and when I hit the button it clicks and the test light goes on, So i have power. I actually by passed the relay because I thought it might have gotten cooked as well but still no luck.

T-Ron

Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

So to recap (and please correct me if I am wrong), hooking power directly to the starter motor turns the motor. That being said you have eliminated the starter motor being a problem. And you have checked your relay and even bypassed it and still the same result.

You said you checked the back side of the solenoid to make sure that the wiring and lugs were okay. Have you checked the plunger in the solenoid? Does it move freely? Are their any scorch marks by the plunger? If the plunger doesn't move freely (meaning you can't push it in with your thumb) then it's likely the solenoid is shot. If there are scorch marks or it even looks like the plunger has welded itself to the side of the solenoid then the solenoid is shot.

I would say that everything to this point points back to your solenoid's plunger. Sounds to me like it overheated the solenoid and destroyed the plunger.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Ok I am my 3rd soleniod and this is where I am:

When I hit the button the soleniod clicks but when I put the test light on the lug connected to the starter.... nothing.

I have tested everyting with the soleniod if the starter is going bad what would it be doing? It doesnt even try to turn over. Battery is charged and I have power to the soleniod.

I am stuck and dont know what to do next. The starter will spin when power is applied to it directly but not thru the soleniod.

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Do you have a digital or analog multimeter instead of a test light?

A test light is good to tell if power is getting there but it won't tell you how much power. If at possible hook a digital multimeter on the starter lug and hit the starter button. see what it reads.

Best plan of attack, start at the end of the circuit and work your way back. Test the starter lug and report the findings here. Then let's work together to get you going.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:45 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

Really starting to sound like a cable problem - bad solder joint or crimp, or too many broken leads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I smoked my new starter seloniod !!!!