Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Front Brake caliper help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by calabeast
The fork legs do not have a manufacturers name engraved or stamped on them anywhere. I do believe that Seepixlh and Piniongear are correct. I am going to try and find the 73 caliper. These are not cheap are they?

I am not sure if item #22 is on the bike or not. I'll have to check when I go home.

Thanks for yourknowledge I really appreciate it!
Calabeast.......
Item #22 is a spacer washer behind the disc, You may want to remove the disc to see if this #22 spacer is there.
Also, my comment regarding the indentation on the face of your disc was meant to suggest perhaps someone may have mounted the disc inside out? If you find item 22 on the wheel and if #22 fits inside the indentation on the disc currently facing outward, then the disc may well need the smooth face out and #22 sitting in the indentation.
Just something to check on. I really am of the opinion that your forks are 1973 Kayaba (mis-spelled I am sure) and what you are going to need is a caliper off a '73. You will know how expensive when you locate one. Be sure to try to get the master cylinder lever and brake line if it is available............pg

Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The disc is the first version of the disc that came out in 1972 on the FLH. It had a tendancy to warp and was replaced by a flat disc and spacer. There is not a spacer used on the indented disc. The newer disc will have an "A" or "B" after the part number

Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 PM
calabeast
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next task will be to try and find new tires. The rear will not be difficult. The front tire is small. I am not near the bike currently to get the exact tire reading, but I believe it is a 16" diameter rim and the tire is about 2.25"wide. Does anyone know of a good place to find vintage small front tires, or have one for sale? I believe my rims are invader.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
JCruiser
Novice
Thumbs up brake parts for 70's bike

Originally Posted by calabeast
I am restoring a 1966xlch. This bike is not 100% stock, and won't be stock when I get done with it. Although, most everything besides the seat, and forks will be stock. The extended forks up front are of unknown orgin. I really like the looks of them and would like to keep them on the bike. My problem is that I am having a hard time finding the front brake caliper. I recieved the bike as a basketcase and it was missing (along with a multitude of other parts). I have managed to find most of the other parts and it is coming along nice. Can anyone tell me what caliper I need for this? Please see the pics.

thanks,

Calabeast
Now that you know what you need, you will need a place to get them from. This guy is near Atlanta, GA, sells world wide and has been wrenching since even I was a kid and I am in my late 50s. Toll free number and all. Ask for Clete:
Old Dude Vintage Parts & Service[IMG]chrome://searchshield/content/unknown.gif[/IMG]

Toll free orderline 1-877-OLD-DUDE. 1-877-653-3833. olddude@mindspring. ... Old Dude Vintage Parts & Service is located at 4251 Wayside Court in Lilburn, GA

Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 AM
calabeast
Advanced

Nevermind all. I went home to check on the exact tire size, and decided to clean the dirt off the front tire. It is in excellent shape and will not need replacement. BTW...it was a 18" Diameter. One less item to scratch off my list.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Any reason you might not want a better caliper than that banana job? I'd bet FabKevin could hook you up.
http://www.fabkevin.com/banana%20cal...eplacement.htm
You'll have a brake that actually works as intended, and probably cost not much more than the assorted banana parts.

Attached Thumbnails Front Brake caliper help!-banana1.jpg  

Last edited by pococj; 10-17-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: 'Cause I always wanted to be an editor!