Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Top end Rebuild advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 PM
renotunes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end Rebuild advise

Regarding my 70 XLCH

Looks like I need a new top end rebuild. Had it serviced this week, and had the guy install my new carb, SE Keihin, identical to the one retrofit to the bike prior to me owning it. Bike ran well prior to taking it in, not perfect but would do what it needed to do for an almost 40 year old bike.

He called me yesterday saying the top end had oil in the rear cylinder, and it was fouling plugs and he could not get it to run after installing this new carb while trying to re-jet it. Went to get it today, and brought it home, sure 'nough runs like ----!! He said the drive gear for the circuit breaker is worn bad, and somethging is up w/ the rear cylinder. $1300 to $1800+ to do the cylinders, heads and labor. There were a lot of nice bikes and some older ones also that were there, and he seems reputable.

I plan to pull it apart this weekend to inspect it, have the heads done, and cylinders done soon.

1.) What pistons and ring sets would be recommended. I have seen after market parts, but I am scared to purchase the wrong stuff, quality wise.
2.) How about the heads, can you recommend name brand parts that are still made for this year of ironhead? It looks like the 70 and 71 900 XLCH's top end parts ( heads, cylinders, pistons, etc.) are the same and can be retrofit.

I have very limited shop space, and tools for such an endevor, but I am willing to dig in and pull it apart and inspect it before I let someone else go w/ it. I have been face first in to the shop manual lately and realize I could do some of this stuff and save myself some labor $ w/ some help and shop work recommendations.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-10-2008, 10:07 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Steve,

Check out my thread about rebuilding my IH. The top end is quite easy to remove. All you need is very simple hand tools. 9/16" wrench, 1/2" wrench, Allen Head wrenches (if you have socket head bolts), flat and phillips screw driver.

The front rocker box and head can be removed while in the frame. Plenty of clearance for that. The rear, you will have to remove the rocker box and the head as one unit. No way around that.

Piniongear always suggests putting rags around the connecting rods in the crank case as you lift the cylinders up and I have to say I can't tell you how much I agree with that. From what you say it sounds as though your rear cylinder has broken rings or really worn cylinder walls. Those broken rings will fall down in the crank case and you will have some serious problems.

Give yourself time and take your time. It's really quite simple. You won't spend nearly that munch if you do the work yourself. Youcould get a complete gasket set for your bike for around $150. If you have to do head work it could increase in price. As well if you have to re-bore the cylinder and buy new pistons but even then i don't think you will have spent that much.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

I noticed you asked about the heads, rings, etc.

You can get a nice set of custom chrome rings and pistons. I find those worked pretty well. Don't buy anything until your rip it apart though and find out what is going on.

Heads, not much is there except for valves, springs, and guides. 9 times out of 10 the only thing that will need replacing are the guides. You can get oversized ones from JP Cycles for fairly cheap the problem is getting them pressed in.

You won't need much shop space. You can do it in a single car garage. And you won't need a lift of any sort. Just let the bike on it's kick stand and be careful. It helps to have a lift, but you can do with out it.

Good luck and I hope that helps you out.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:46 AM
renotunes
Advanced

Randy,

Thanks. I will check out your thread.

I appreciate the insight on the cracked rings and problems w/ pieces in the crankcase.

After looking over the shop manual several times, it does not look that hard. I plan to inspect and figure out what the problem is, then purchase what I need after that. I just don't want to purchase junk. If I am in there, I want to use the highest quality replacement parts available and do it right.

Steve

Old 10-11-2008, 07:06 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

I agree completely. Here's some suggestions for yah on parts.

Pistons - Custom Chrome or Hastings

Rings - Custom Chrome or Hastings

Gaskets - Genuine James Gaskets. Check out this site. This guy sells on ebay as well on this site. He has all Genuine James gaskets for sale or you can buy a whole set. Prices are good and he's really good about shipping. Website needs some serious improvement though. Scroll down and look at the left hand side. You will see the list of gasket. http://www.itwtrading.com/

Cylinder - You shouldn't need to replace these unless they were previously bored to .070, in which case you will have to buy new ones and use the old ones as paper weights.

Heads - The heads itself won't need to be replaced. possibly just the guides. I'm not sure I know of specific brands that make those. I've just bought mine of of jpcycles.com