Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Primary Over Filled

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
KW_74_IH
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Over Filled

I recently purchased a 74 Ironhead. When I brought it home I drained and replaced the gas and engine oil and checked the primary oil (bike had only been ridden twice in the last two years according to seller). About a quart and a half drained out of the primary level plug. When I bought the bike, the guy selling it fired it up and ran it for a while, but I didn't ride it. Bike sounded great. When I started it up after replacing the fluids and getting the primary to the correct (at least I think) level, there is now a "clank" coming from the primary. I don't know how to describe the noise, but it sounds like metal on metal. I know that sounds bad, but it doesn't sound terrible. So my questions are A) did I not hear that sound before because the primary was overfilled? B) any idea what the noise is? and C) what damage can be caused by over filling the primary? This is my first time to this forum and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
hog4u
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't say I'm an expert on overfilled primary....

Do you have a Factory service manual and Parts manual? You'll need it.

A) Did I not hear that sound before because the primary was overfilled?
That and perhaps you didn't what to listen for. Most people freak out when they hear how much clatter a IH engine makes.
B) any idea what the noise is?
Any idea what's in the primary? The primary chain and Clutch. Chain transfers power from the engine to the transmission via the clutch. My guess is the chain is loose and is hitting he case. Does the sound increase when the motor is rev'ed? In any case you will find out as soon as you remove the cover. It is not a big job.
C) what damage can be caused by over filling the primary?
Good chance you just have the minor damage to the inside of the case that will not have to be repaired.
IH owners have a bit of gallows humor about the work we have to put into keeping a old IH on the road. So I would say you purchased the bike with your heart and you'll pay for it with you soul. :-) Welcome to the club.

Order the Service and Parts manual, remove the primary cover, post some photos if you can and you'll get plenty of help.

Here is a link to a service manual.

I couldn't find a Parts manual give ebay a try.

Good luck,

Pat

Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Correct level in the primary: install approximately 1,1/2 pints - or until it starts to run out the overflow hole with the bike level; then wait until it stops running out.

What i do is stack two short pieces of 2X6 under the jiffy stand; that puts my bike very close to level, so to be safe i attach a tie down strap between the bike and an eye hook on the side of the shop.

I would like more description of the clank. Does it occur just once, or does it continue to occur as the engine runs? Can you listen closely on both sides and determine more exactly where it originates? A mechanics stethoscope might help [inexpensive, Princess Auto or Harbor Freight], or the screwdriver or rubber hose equivalent.

Last edited by IronMick; 01-28-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap *** Harbor Freight wheel chock will put the bike level and keep it steady. There is a relief valve from the crank to the primary that will seep oil into the primary. That is one reason to run the same oil in both holes. Mine will do this if I let it sit for more than it wants me to.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Calwoodbutcher
There is a relief valve from the crank to the primary that will seep oil into the primary. That is one reason to run the same oil in both holes.
This is likely reason over filling... this isn't any serious fault, more alike feature if you aren't riding very often with bike . That breathervalve can be blocked ( you need to open primarycase) and after that it's good idea to add ventilation hose to transmission or primary.