Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Hotrodkid's 1974 Restore

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hotrodkid's 1974 Restore

OK, now we have a new thread here.
You have a lot of questions and we have to take one thing at a time to address them in any degree of depth.

Generally. you have problems with the wiring, high speed wobbles, and getting the bike to run?

The wiring is just that...... wiring. No big thing if you do not let it overwhelm you.

The high speed wobble may only be the rims are a bit out of line. Spoke adjustment will correct this in most cases.

The registration should not be a problem unless you live in Kalifornia.
I take it the state is Arizona? If the numbers of the frame and the engine match there is no problem, even in Arnie's state.
(I would be surprised if they did on a 1974)
You own the bike and have a good title to it, so don't get concerned with registration.

Back to the wiring.........
Here is the factory wiring diagram for a 1974 XLCH..........

And here is a diagram I drew by hand for another member who had a hard time with reading diagrams. Perhaps it will simplify the diagram for you. Compare this one to the factory diagram......

You do not need to buy a 'wiring harness'. Just get some different color wire in a 16 ga size. Use the colors shown on the diagrams as a guide, but you certainly don't need every color.
The idea is to have enough different colors so that you can tell which wires you are working with.
Otherwise, all of the wires could be black.
Heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer will give a professional finish to the job, but electrical tape wrapped wiring will also do the job, although not as nice as the shrink wrap.

When you get ready to actually do the wiring we can get into the details.
Lay the electrical parts out on the floor in the order shown on the diagram. This will be the same layout as they are on the bike. Cut some wire to connect everything together as per the diagram. There, you have started on the project........... pg

Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Hey PG,

I was concerned when he said this:
"Claimed he was only the third owner, but produced no registration. Said it was 'off the grid' and couldn't find the original bill of sale for me. Said he'd send it later, but claimed it'd be easy to register as a new bike"

That is why i suggested not spending a single cent on it until he sees if it can be registered. He does not say anything in his post about the engine and frame numbers - hopefully they match.

Hmmm, i tried a search on his tag hotrodkid and came up with "invalid user". Is he still here?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 PM
hotrodkid
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there guys,

Sorry about my forum ethics, new to things like this. Thanks for starting a new thread and I appreciate the speedy responses and you guys going out of your way to help! IronMick, the frame and engine VIN numbers both match, but I haven't run them yet as the DMV hasn't been open. The bill of sale was handwritten by 'Nate' and he said he'd send the original when he found it.. He said he bought it when he was 17 and now is 27, he had like 4 other bikes in the garage. I'm a little uneasy about this, hope things go smoothly. If not... I know a few Hells Angels who take care of their own.

PG, your hand drawn diagram is awesome! I do have the original owner's manual and the one's in the book are a little tough to decipher. I was up until 4:30am last night with the bike, trying to get to the bottom of the electricals. Things are hacked off here and there, but I think all the hardware's intact. I'll compare it to your diagram tonight. I don't think I'm going to have to spend much on the bike, just time. I got the grease retaining seals for the front end, need a battery, and will have to fabricate a brake actuator to accomodate the new rear end. Other than that, I probably only will be needing hardware here and there, this 16guage wiring and some oil. Like I said, if worse comes to worse when I get the VIN ran, I can always sell it in Mexico.

Last night I polished up everything, bike's starting to look pretty good. It has the orignal AMF decals, just like the manual, with the dealer's sticker in Oceanside. Will post pictures when I can.

About the account, I think HDF might not allow minors or something? If it gets to be a problem I'll PM you two if I have to re-register. Thank you guys so much for your interest and advice in what I'm doing!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
hotrodkid
2nd Gear

And Mick, I'll be working on obtaining those resources, all I have to go off of right now is the service manual and whatever you guys tell me! Hope I can pick 'em up for cheap on ebay, pretty low on the cash..

Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, keep us posted and when you have more questions just ask........ pg

Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Complete new wire harness to -74 is still available from JP cycles. That's easiest way not cheapest.Vintage catalog 2009 page 250.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 AM
hotrodkid
2nd Gear

Been up all night with the thing, not the nightmare I thought it'd be. The book's diagrams were very intimidating at first, but 4 cups of coffee and I got it all together, getting battery tomorrow, except lights. Coming together quicker than I expected, albeit a little ****er rigged. Maybe I'll have it running tomorrow? Probably couldn't have done it without you, pinion gear.

HDF keeps kicking me out, so now I'm 80

Will keep you posted

Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 AM
hotrodkid
2nd Gear

Well, guess I maybe shouldn't have bought a motorcycle in the first place. The Oregon dmv won't issue my replacement instruction permit without a notarized parental signature, beings how I live on my own at the moment that's gonna be hard. Shoulder tap somebody to try to help me forge the document? Sounds like a long way to travel for such an iffy situation. Probably am going to pack up the bike, quite spending money on it, and leave it for another day. Going to Big Timber still, but not quite in the grand style I planned. Boxcar travel's just as much of an American tradition, I suppose.

So I'll be coming back a richer man this September and then I'll get this bike on the road. I'm disappointed in myself for draining my travel budget on something I can't use.

Seeya back on the forum then! HDF keeps on kicking me off anyhow, I have to apply for a new password every time I sign in. You guys take care!