Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

New Owner - 1971 XLCH - Carb Issues & Build ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Owner - 1971 XLCH - Carb Issues & Build ??'s

I just picked up a 1971 XLCH last week for 2500 bucks. I could not turn it down as it is a SUPER clean bike - and it has been bored to 1000 CC. I have big plans for this bike - Don't worry guys, I am not going to chop it up and bastardize it... Hear me out first..

Anyhow, I have some questions for you all regarding this bike that you might be able to help me with, so here goes.

Last time the bike was ran was in the fall, and the owner said it just started having some issues where it would not idle without the enrichment lever partially engaged.

1) It is running an S&S Super E Shorty carb on it. Any experience with these? I am having some issues getting it tuned correctly. (Bike runs but will not idle without the enrichment lever engaged partially).

2) Do you happen to know if a Fatboy front end will fit on these older Sporty's?

My goal is to put a Fatboy front on it with a fatboy style rear fender and similarly styled front fender. Probably a big twin type tank setup on it, and a solo seat with pillion pad. 16-18" Ape Hangers, and some different wheels if possible. (I really like the looks of the DNA Mammoth spoke wheels). Possibly thinking about having a dual fishtail exhaust setup similar to that of the newer Softail Deluxe's.. I have only seen two Sporty's with dual setups like this, but never one in person.

Let me know your thoughts. I am sure this will be a heck of a project!

Kenny

Attached Thumbnails New Owner - 1971 XLCH - Carb Issues & Build ??'s-1971-sporty.jpg   New Owner - 1971 XLCH - Carb Issues & Build ??'s-1971-sporty-2.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Default ::Calling 98 Ultra::

I saw the build you were doing with your 73. Do you mind if I ask you what kind/where you got your fenders? That is the style I am going for... Looking at trying to do a Fatboy front end on it too. If I can't get it to work I would be satisfied with a Wide Glide - but want to maintain a bagger rake and not a more stretched out look.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a tech page for the carb on the S&S website ...
http://www.sscycle.com/index.php

Here is the Carb Quick Guide ...
http://www.sscycle.com/carbquickguide/

Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure how much this will help, but first, im sure that a 900cc bike cant be bored to 1000cc, there is alot of work that needs to be done to gain that kind of ccs , i am not a s&s fan at all so cant help much lol,(sounds like you have a bad vacume leak at the intake) takes alot of work and a cv or mikuni can be tuned to run strong, im 99% sure a fatboy front wont fit your bike, maybe with some aftermarket bearings and cups???

Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by shepdog
not sure how much this will help, but first, im sure that a 900cc bike cant be bored to 1000cc, there is alot of work that needs to be done to gain that kind of ccs , i am not a s&s fan at all so cant help much lol,(sounds like you have a bad vacume leak at the intake) takes alot of work and a cv or mikuni can be tuned to run strong, im 99% sure a fatboy front wont fit your bike, maybe with some aftermarket bearings and cups???
Well, I am just relaying the message that was relayed to me. The guy that owned it before the guy I bought it from had owned a small shop in Prescott, Wisconsin (or somewhere there abouts) and had rebuilt the motor and bored it out apparently. Only way to know would be pull the motor apart and take some measurements.

I figured I might have to switch out the bearings and bearing cups in order to get the front end to work. Not sure how much work is involved in that either - like I say.. It is just an idea. I guess I could always go with a Wide Glide style front end. Ultimately, what I had in mind was the same concept that 98 Ultra had already started with his 73.. Only with a Fatboy front and dual fishtail exhaust.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the front end billitworks makes some cups to make the 1" stem work on your smaller neck

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by dirty78ironhead
As far as the front end billitworks makes some cups to make the 1" stem work on your smaller neck
Do they have a website? I would be interested in contacting them and gathering them some information...

Kenny

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

billetwerx.com/products.php

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by dirty78ironhead
billetwerx.com/products.php
Thanks! Looks like they are pretty inexpensive too.. Now to track down a front end, tank, and some fenders.. Anyone know what kind of tinwork 98 Ultra is running? Really love his fenders and what looks to be a Fat Bob tank.. The goal is to have a real classy looking bike where people step back and go "That's a SPORTSTER?!".. Not that I am put off by the look of Sportsters, I just think it would be real cool and different to do something like this. (I have no interest in trying to make money off the bike and am sure I will have plenty more into it than what it is worth)..

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is how the different parts that you like will look when fit together on a Sportster frame. This requires a bit about what an artist may refer to as pre-visualization. You need to be successful at pre-vis in order to end up with a Wow! result.

Quick Reply: New Owner - 1971 XLCH - Carb Issues & Build ??'s