Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

What's a good year for an Ironhead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's a good year for an Ironhead?

I'm dead set on getting an Ironhead and since I'm passing on a "72" due to the right side shift issue I figure I'll ask around for more info.

What are the best years to look at?
I know Harley took over from AMF in 81 and I'm told that the late 70's thru 85 models are fine.

Also, what should I look for? Something particular to these bikes thats makes a difference.

I found an 83 (disasembled). Its stock with a rebuilt motor for $2,500 but that seems a bit high compared to others I've seen.

My intention is to rebuild and bob it into a magazine quality trophy.

As always your input is appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM
dragpipe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines a 75, the year they switched to left side gear shift. its the same as a 74 but with a cross-over rod to shift gears. i dont know what year is the best...

Attached Thumbnails What's a good year for an Ironhead?-home-pictures-2-011.jpg   What's a good year for an Ironhead?-home-pictures-2-057.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
irondude
Advanced
Wink

If you're gonna "rebuild and bob it into a magazine quality trophy" then any year will do.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM
jim6tseven
Intermediate

If you got a problem with the right side shift then early 80's is what you will get. But I say if you are building a show bike get a right side shift, it will be something to set you apart from the rest on the show floor. Whatever you do... don't get a 75-76... right side shift still with linkage to cross over to the left.
My .02
Jim

Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

Let me rephrase; it will be a cover story quality bike that I will be riding weekly for my local runs and barhopping trips, so a right side shift is out of the question. I've found a 77 and 80 and an 83 that offer potential. The best being the 83 which is a semi-basketcase.

I know to look out for cracked/repaired cases and frame plus over-bored jugs, what else need I pay particular attention to?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

IMO 1978 is the best year. Traditional style oil tank. Dual front disk brakes. However, the 60s ironheads have many enthusiasts; as do those early 50s models; and the for-runners of the ironheads. As do every other year section. Best to study up on the history - there is more than a quarter of a century of IronHeads; then decide.

Go to Donny Peterson's [now Tatoo Tony's] web site www.heavydutycycles.com Do some google searches. Talk to the guys at QCB [quad cam bastards] and XLForum ironhead section.

Also, as already said, given what you are going to do with it, it does not really matter. I would say what matters is do not destroy one that is in near stock shape. If you do the rest of us will appear one day at your door, very angry!!!

If you are going to keep the stock frame that is good; but do not wreck a stock frame! Buy one aftermarket.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can do me a personal favor..........
If your plan is to chop and butcher up an ironhead in the name of a 'show bike', please pass on any original stock Sportster and find yourself a trashed out basket case. The worst the better.
Then you can enjoy making a show bike chopper out of it and the end result will be better than when you found it in a basket.

My point is..... The ironhead has not been made for many years now and the numbers are dwindling. No original Sportster should be torn down to be chopped.
This is what has happened to too many ironheads. First they get chopped, then the owners tire of them and sell them to someone else who has to have a chopper. The machine gets neglected after the newness has worn off and the poor machine winds up as parts in a basket.
So rescue one of those............ pg

The following 2 users liked this post by piniongear:
jakenok (06-03-2016), newzealand (01-10-2021)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with PG do a favor for us and buy a basketcase, don't mess with perfectly good Ironhead. Sportster is "sportbike" not a chopper, that my opinion.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

I appreciate your concern about saving these classic bikes and wish to assure those that are sensitive to this issue that I intend to resurrect a tired Ironhead and turn it into a classic bobber style bike with looks good enough to drool over and solid enough to ride every day. This means it will get a new frame and front end while retaining the original but rebuilt drivetrain.
I wish to get a bike that is complete and in good order so that I can reuse as many original parts as possible and sell the remnants in order to recoup part of my investment.
I am NOT chopping. In all likelyhood I'll end up buying a bike that has already been modified since most of what I'm finding are that way already.
I just want to get a good bike to begin with and I don't want an Evo.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Well, for an Ironhead, generally the newer the better. Most changes made over the 29 year Ironhead run were for the better. The '83 you're looking at is potentially a good motor (that's what I have), and still has a generator. From mid '84 thru '85, they had the new alternator, and a few problems to go with it. If you want a kick start, you'll have to look at a '79 or earlier. 1979 and later will get you a factory electronic ignition. As long as you're not wanting to really hot-rod the motor, you probably don't need to worry about the weak areas of various models. The '78 and earlier Sportsters have better frame looks and options for a custom, but if you're planning on a custom frame, that doesn't matter.

Name:  P1000379-1.jpg
Views: 11607
Size:  147.4 KB