Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Having a brain fart. XLH vs XLCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:18 AM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a brain fart. XLH vs XLCH

Ok, I'm having a massive brain fart. Casually talking with a bud earlier and he asked if my bike was XLH or XLCH. I wanted to say XLCH since it's Kick + Electric start, but, just not 100% sure, and I really don't feel like eating crow when it comes to my own bike. So I figgered I'll look like a chump verify on here rather'n talking out my behind.

Thanks, and try not to laugh *too* hard at my expence<g>

Wolf

Old 06-26-2006, 02:44 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Having a brain fart. XLH vs XLCH

Hey Sam....Look at your engine number on the righthand side of the crankcase. It will be XLH3A***** if yours is an XLH.........or,
It will be XLCH4A***** if yours is a XLCH

Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
wolf1477
Road Master

Doh! I had the feeling it'd be something stupidly simple.

Thanks Blake, as usual you rock

Old 06-26-2006, 02:39 PM
CycloneRacer
Novice

Hmmm, my 73 does not have anything in the vin number that would suggest it's either a XLCH or XLH. Like Wolf, I always figured it was a XLCH because of the electric & kick start. Are there any other ways to tell which model it is besides the VIN number or is there another number on the engine I'm missing?

Old 06-26-2006, 04:20 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Dan........I need to clarify what I had said.The engine serial number on 1970 and later ironheads is stamped on the righthand side of the engine at the cylinder bases. The serial # on 1969 and earlier engines is on the lefthand side.
The 1969 and earlier will have the XLH or XLCH in the number. The 1970 and later will start with either 3H or 4H*****.
3H is an XLH
4H is an XLCH...................I am 98% sure this history is correct, not 100%.

The old traditional difference between XLH and XLCH was always that the XLH had an electric starter and a side mount oil tank. It also had a center mounted battery which was larger than a CH had, and an ignition circuit breaker mounted atop the timing cover.
The XLCH was a kick start only. It had a smaller battery mounted on the left side. It had a center mount oil tank. It had a Fairbanks-Morse magneto mounted atop the timing cover. Understand, we are talking about 1969 and earlier here. In 1970 the models began to merge together, although at the time you would not notice, but history has proven that did indeed happen and the result was pretty much one model of Sportster in exsistence up into the 1980's.
One great difference that was noted (in my younger days) was that an XLH had 18 inch wheels on both ends. XLCH had an 18 on the rear and a 19 inch on the front. Again, we are talking about 1966 and earlier regarding the different wheel sizes.
Wow, that got me going! Sorry guys.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are close. Actually, 1970-1980 would start with 3a for XLH and 4a for XLCH. The next 5 digits will be the production number. The last 2 digits will be the model year. (H0=1970,H1='71,H2='72................J0=1980). So for example: 3A12345H2 = 1972 XLH, 4A12345H5=1975 XLCH.
ORIGINAL: piniongear

Dan........I need to clarify what I had said.The engine serial number on 1970 and later ironheads is stamped on the righthand side of the engine at the cylinder bases. The serial # on 1969 and earlier engines is on the lefthand side.
The 1969 and earlier will have the XLH or XLCH in the number. The 1970 and later will start with either 3H or 4H*****.
3H is an XLH
4H is an XLCH...................I am 98% sure this history is correct, not 100%.

The old traditional difference between XLH and XLCH was always that the XLH had an electric starter and a side mount oil tank. It also had a center mounted battery which was larger than a CH had, and an ignition circuit breaker mounted atop the timing cover.
The XLCH was a kick start only. It had a smaller battery mounted on the left side. It had a center mount oil tank. It had a Fairbanks-Morse magneto mounted atop the timing cover. Understand, we are talking about 1969 and earlier here. In 1970 the models began to merge together, although at the time you would not notice, but history has proven that did indeed happen and the result was pretty much one model of Sportster in exsistence up into the 1980's.
One great difference that was noted (in my younger days) was that an XLH had 18 inch wheels on both ends. XLCH had an 18 on the rear and a 19 inch on the front. Again, we are talking about 1966 and earlier regarding the different wheel sizes.
Wow, that got me going! Sorry guys.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks SKJ.....I knew what I had said was not 100% correct. Appreciate you clearing it up.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:28 AM
CycloneRacer
Novice

Thanks for the history lesson, guys! It looks like I do indeed have a XLCH!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,757 Likes on 2,060 Posts

ORIGINAL: wolf1477
Ok, I'm having a massive brain fart. Casually talking with a bud earlier and he asked if my bike was XLH or XLCH. I wanted to say XLCH since it's Kick + Electric start, but, just not 100% sure, and I really don't feel like eating crow when it comes to my own bike. So I figgered I'll look like a chump verify on here rather'n talking out my behind.
Wolf
Wolf, actually, the CH originally designated Competion Hot.

The magneto bikes with other hiperf diffs as well.

Around 68-9?? things changed, I don't know what the diff was on the later models.

My first scooter was a 64XLCH, in 1965. I was 15.

Whata machine. Bad ****.

We used to stop at the airport on the way to the dragstrip and tank up with aviation fuel.

Hang on.

mud

Old 06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,757 Likes on 2,060 Posts

ORIGINAL: wolf1477

Wolf
By the way, in 1964, Hd produced 810 XLH models at $1,295.

1950 XLCH at $1,360.

1958 was the first year for the CH.

1957, of course was the first Sporty, the XL.

Can't wait to see what happens for the 50th anniversary models.

Gotta be something.

mud

Quick Reply: Having a brain fart. XLH vs XLCH