Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'73 Charging system problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 AM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep you posted.Thanks for the info. I know I wouldn't be able to do it without you guys.

As for the Lone Star Rally, sounds like it's gonna be a great time. It's gonna be rainy and about 50 here. I gotta move. Riding season is way to short here!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nwpaironhead
I gotta move. Riding season is way to short here!
I'll say! In 2005 I bought my Dyna from a fellow located in York PA. My wife and I hitched the cycle trailer to the back of the van and drove from Texas to York to pick it up.
This was over the Thanksgiving weekend and when we arrived in PA the snow flurries were flying.
Just a reminder..... Thanksgiving is about 4 weeks away!
pg

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

4 weeks. Ugh! I think it was last Thanksgiving I was on my way to Erie Pa to see some relatives and had to turn back 'cause of the snow...in a 4 wheel drive truck! Guess I better get on it if I'm gonna get a ride in this year!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
... Regarding testing the generator.........
IronMick and I clearly do not exactly agree on the testing method, so you will have to make your own choice there.
I follow directions given in the factory manual, which is where the info I gave comes from.
...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
The info i gave, including my correction to the procedure followed by nwpaironhead, comes directly from the 79 to 85 manual. This appears to be a different procedure from the one in the older manuals.

Ever since i first read PG's procedure some time ago i have intended to get one of those ammeters that he recommends but i keep forgetting. I must add it onto my Princess Auto shopping list.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:42 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piniongear
. Also, read the third paragraph regarding having a grounded generator signal light. If the light becomes grounded, the generator output will be sent to ground rather than where you want it to go (your battery). This results in a dead battery after awhile of course

pg
Well, I installed the "new" generator. Connected the wires. Tan to "A" and green to "F". Before going any further( I have not yet 'flashed the field') I checked the generator light for ground, by disconnecting the tan wire from the "gen" post on the regulator. I then turned on the key and viola! The light was ....on! Dangit! Well at least I've got a direction to go. In order to be sure that the wiring hadn't gotten pinched or melted somewhere, I disconnected the tan wire from the "A" pole on the generator. Turned on the key and the light didn't come on. This is all , of course without the bike running.

My next step was going to be to 'flash the field'. Should I have done that first? The way I'm seeing it, the tan wire is getting ground from the generator. Isn't it supposed to?

Regarding the output tests, I was planning on performing both. Wouldn't they both work? One would show how many volts, the other would show how fast the electricity is flowing? I'm definitely NOT an electrician so I'm not sure. The manual that I have suggests using the ammeter. It is for '70-'78 Sportsters. It must be a newer one.

Think I better sit on my hands while I wait on this one. Don't wanna damage anything.

Again THANK YOU guys. I'm pretty durn unsure of myself on this.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Uh, in the "IMPORTANT" paragraph after the gen. light ground check, am I supposed to be doing anything at the regulator besides disconnecting the "GEN" wire. When I performed the ammeter test last night, I had the tan and green wire OFF of the generator so nothing could back feed to the regulator, right?

Old 10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMick
The info i gave, including my correction to the procedure followed by nwpaironhead, comes directly from the 79 to 85 manual. This appears to be a different procedure from the one in the older manuals.

Ever since i first read PG's procedure some time ago i have intended to get one of those ammeters that he recommends but i keep forgetting. I must add it onto my Princess Auto shopping list.
Most likely Mick......there must be two different ways to check the output. The factory manual 1970 to 1974 states to use the ammeter.
A 1979 to 1985 manual states to use a voltmeter from what you say.
I am not too familiar with the newer machines, so I am not doubting what you say.
It is just we have a 1973 machine here and the manual clearly states to use an ammeter. That is the only way I have ever done it as well......
pg

Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

I've looked at the wiring diagram and scratched my head, and I'm still pretty confused. Should I make all connections complete, then 'flash' the field coils, then disconnect the tan wire from the "GEN" pole on the regulator again and check to see if the "GEN" light is on? It should come on, as long as the engine is not running, shouldn't it? Was this test supposed to be performed while the bike is running? The "GEN" light goes out while the bike is running. Should I just proceed to the output test?

Thanks !

Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Yep , that generator has a strong ground! with the tan wire off of the generator, I connected one lead of a multimeter to the armature pole, and the other lead to the power wire for the "GEN" light on the terminal board on the top clamp. I then turned on the key, and got 13.26 volts. I still have yet to connect all of the wiring and 'flash the field' could this be why the armature pole is resting at ground?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser
Default Regulator?

Think I might be on to something here!? I made all connections, flashed the field and the generator clunked. This time it was not followed by the regulator clicking. I disconnected the tan wire from the "GEN" pole on the regulator, turned on the key...no "GEN" light! But then, the regulator clicked and the light came on. So I tried re-connecting everything and flashing it again, but the regulator just keeps clicking about a second after the generator clunks. Is my regulator smoked from running the bike without flashing the field?

Here are a couple of pics of my regulator. Is it the correct one?

'73 Charging system problem-img00469.jpg'73 Charging system problem-img00473.jpg

I have another regulator. It is old though. Should I try it?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: '73 Charging system problem