Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Scavenger pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scavenger pump

Should I pull the engine to replace all the gaskets on my oil pump? I've got a drip drip drip leak that ends with teh oil dropping off the oil pump. replaced the cam chest seal and the timing seal inside, still steady drip drip drip oil leak. Maddening, I missed an entire season of riding, and the bike isn't in perfect condition. And I can't tell if its removable on my model from the drawings. For reference, it's a 1974.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:00 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe that for 74 the engine has to come out of the frame to remove the oil pump. The later frames have a flat spot on the frame right next to the oil pump. This allows the pump to slide off once the bolts have been removed. The flat spot is at an angle, and is the same length as the pump. It is obvious and easy to see.

The parts catalog has a frame change after 1976. I believe that is when this change was made.

On my previous bike i had oil all over the oil pump body. I posted pics etc and eventually removed, dismantled, rebuilt the oil pump. All to no avail. The oil was splash back from a leaky generator to case gasket.

I would thoroughly clean the whole area - spray can brake&parts cleaner works well [my choice] as does engine degreaser. Wrap the pump as best you can with paper towels then let it sit overnight and/or take it for a ride. Peel the p towels off carefully and check for oil on the inside vs the outside.

I often have had to do this p towel test a few times to locate the actual leak.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the bike in question is the bike in the pic then I'd just pull the motor.

Mine is similar...and I find it much easier to just pull the motor and work on the bench.

s

Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it's the bike in the picture. ANy tips on how to get it off the bike and onto the stand without giving myself a hernia?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an old cushion for patio furniture. I loosen the motor then set the bike on its side on the cushion, unbolt, lift off the chasis-leaving the motor comfy on the cushion. Then stand up the motor and lift carefully.

Putting it back in is the reverse but I tie rags around the frame at 'bump' points that you will see as you start. I also put 2 2X4's under the cushion to lever the motor up with a 4X4 as a fulcrum for leverage. A couple of blocks to hold everything in place while you thread the screws.

It is easier than it sounds in print....once you have done it a couple of times...it will only take a few minutes. A lot faster than phoning a friend which will include the step:

3) finish the box of beer

...rendering the rest of the day a right-off.