Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

69XLCH Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
br3or
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 69XLCH Problems

So I picked up my second '69 XLCH, I guess you could say I have a thing.

Went through the whole new owner refresher on the bike and rode it around for about 45 minutes. It has new plugs gapped .020, new battery, points are correct, pushrods adjusted, good compression, new intake bands and no cylinder leaks. Rebuilt S&S Super E.

Now my issue comes in that after my hour or so ride, I cannot for the life of me get the bike to start again. The starter (it's a hybrid CH) turns the engine over just fine but it doesn't fire up. I've pulled the plugs and held them to the engine where I get plenty of spark. But when I test the plugs as they're plugged in to the engine it only sparks every few seconds. Anyone have any ideas as to why I could be having this problem? Could it be something with the magneto coil? (Also to note I've already replaced the condensor)

Any of you Ironhead geniuses have any ideas for me to try next?

Thanks for the advice and as my first time posting I'm happy I found this forum, seems to be a lot of well educated guys here, maybe I'll be able to help someone else out one day!

br3or

Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I am not really familiar with the 60s IronHeads, but my first thought is the plugs and points/magneto/whatever seem good when you are actually holding the plug against the cylinder head, so maybe it is the spark plug wires and connectors. Perhaps there is a bad part or connection?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Are you "retarding" the spark like your supposed to?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
br3or
6th Gear

Originally Posted by IronMick
I am not really familiar with the 60s IronHeads, but my first thought is the plugs and points/magneto/whatever seem good when you are actually holding the plug against the cylinder head, so maybe it is the spark plug wires and connectors. Perhaps there is a bad part or connection?
My only issue with that is that the spark plug wires are sending a good spark through when I hold the plugs to the engine and turn the bike over. I may try new wires as that is a cheaper fix but I don't believe the problem lies with the wires.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
br3or
6th Gear

Originally Posted by perki48
Are you "retarding" the spark like your supposed to?
The previous owner has the mag fixed in place, without the turn handle retard. I'm not 100% on timing a magneto or how much I would need to rotate it to retard it. I have tried rotating the mag away from the engine to start it up and haven't had any luck there. I've checked the points which are good, other than that the magneto hasn't been removed or anything since it ran well.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

These might be useful ...

Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=634523

magneto questions
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1343908

Mick's 1969XLCH Refurbish - Magneto
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1429221

Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
br3or
6th Gear

Originally Posted by IronMick
These might be useful ...

Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=634523

magneto questions
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1343908

Mick's 1969XLCH Refurbish - Magneto
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1429221
I'm going to go through and retime/gap the magneto either tonight or Monday. Will update you guys as to the results! Thanks for that info IronMick

Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the plugs out the starter spins the motor easily, quickly and lots of sparks popping.
When the plugs are in the starter isn't going to spin as quick with motor compression but you are still getting spark, so, I would keep this in mind. Perhaps the problem is something else.

what are you using to determin spark when the plugs are in. I ask, because the faster the Mag spins the stronger the spark. My clip-ons won't catch the spark through the wire until I get the RPMS up...and nothing when I am kicking.

s

Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
br3or
6th Gear

Originally Posted by scottfisher
With the plugs out the starter spins the motor easily, quickly and lots of sparks popping.
When the plugs are in the starter isn't going to spin as quick with motor compression but you are still getting spark, so, I would keep this in mind. Perhaps the problem is something else.

what are you using to determin spark when the plugs are in. I ask, because the faster the Mag spins the stronger the spark. My clip-ons won't catch the spark through the wire until I get the RPMS up...and nothing when I am kicking.

s
I was using an inline spark checker, and it didn't look like it was getting nearly enough spark to run the engine. I'm still unsure of what the problem is. I'm going over Monday to reset the magneto and make sure it's installed in the right spot. If you have any other ideas that may help or give me something else to check Monday I would be grateful! I'm having to drive an hour to go work on the bike and every time I can't take it home with me is a major annoyance. If you have any other questions about what's wrong that may give you a better idea just ask me!

Thanks for your time

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by br3or
... Now my issue comes in that after my hour or so ride, I cannot for the life of me get the bike to start again. The starter (it's a hybrid CH) turns the engine over just fine but it doesn't fire up....
I am wondering if the battery is run down, perhaps not being charged during the ride, having enough juice to run the engine, and enough to turn over the engine but not enough to produce spark while cranking. Possibly a problem with the generator or regulator.

Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, and take a reading while cranking. I am curious if the reading will be below whatever limit the magneto system needs. With electronic ignition if it goes below 10 or so volts it will not start. I believe mag can start on less than 10 but i do not know what is the lower limit.

Quick Reply: 69XLCH Problems