Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM
EddieO'
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

Hello to everyone.I'm having a problem with my 73 xlch.its my first Harley and learning as I go along with reading these forums and the manual.I bought the bike under the assumption that all it needed was "the carb cleaned and new tires and shes ready to go" well 3.000$ later ive finally got it to run,did a total rebuild on the top end..cylinder's, ring's,lifters etc.now this is where this problem starts and its over my head.ive rode the bike around 60 miles total.only at about 5-7 mile jumps..ive noticed its getting very hot in the top end..and its so hot I can spit on the rocker boxes and it sizzles not just going pssss so checked up there things look fine.so I'm thinking there's not enough oil getting to the rocker boxes.I pulled my push rod covers and the push rods are kinda dry.so I get the bright idea of hooking up clear hoses to see if oils getting up there.I fired it up and no oil is really moving.just buy watching it running it more like oil vaporous and that's not even making it up there..so i said the hell with it and pulled one of the hoses off from the bottom from the case and felt some pressure like wind moving but that's all.ive checked to see if oil is getting back to the oil tank with a clear hose again lol and it is but its in spurts..the more I Rev it the faster the spurts get.also the hotter it gets it starts making more noise than normal..and my Kicker gear is also thrashed cause when it running yup hear it rattling I can grab the kicker and push it down and the rattling stops..could someone please help me with this oiling problem..thanx guys.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil returning to the tank in spurts is normal.

But no oil flowing down the pushrod covers, I'm not sure just how much you'd normally expect to see there, but I would think quite a lot rather than almost none. There should be a bunch of oil flowing to the heads through the lines next to the pushrod covers.

You should maybe take it back to the shop that did the work and see what they think.

Do you have an add on filter or oil cooler? If so make sure the plumbing is correct.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Oil returning to the tank in spurts is normal

+1 ^

Best way to check for oil to the top is to remove the 1/8 NPT pipe plugs that are on the front edge, right side of each rocker cover. With the engine running oil should plop out of both of these.

I have heard one other time of a guy using clear tubing - i believe that it is not useful for observing oil flow on these engines.

Oil pressure fully warmed up is between 5 and 10 psi. It will be higher on a cold engine, but oil will not flow like from a fire hose at any time.

I have had pushrod covers off many many times and have never seen any oil in there. The corks are wet with oil and there is a thin oil coating on the pushrods etc, but no actual oil. One time a guy had lots of oil in the tubes and it was because of a problem.

Which parts, if an, of the rebuild did you do yourself? What engine breakin procedures were you given or did you use?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
EddieO'
3rd Gear

Thanx for the replies.yes I have taken the plugs out of the rocker boxes with the bike running and hardly a drizzle,but also I have did the same thing after running the bike and letting it cool down and maybe like a drop comes out.ive rebuilt the motor myself and checked ring gap, valve seating, valve spring height etc.the bike runs good and don't smoke.its got hell of a compression. I'm not a big guy I weigh 160lbs and if I catch it on a compression stroke the kickstart arm will hold me up for a minute then slowly go down.I'm not running a oil cooler or filter.it just don't make sense cause if the oil is not pumping seems like it would have seized up.Im breaking it in slow.did a few heat cycles first...like letting it get hot then shut it down too cool.I did that about 8-10 times then rode it around the block a few times then started taking it a little farther..the longest run I rode it was 20 miles.I changed the oil yesterday and it had a lot of sludge in it.there was some fine shavings in it to.but not really enough to say "oh crap " the oil lines are hooked up right and oh I forgot the oil tank has a lot of pressure in it.it has so much it blows oil out of the vent hole in the cap.when its idleing you can feel the air pushing out of it and when I ride it its just blowing it out on my rear pipe.the faster it goes the more it blows out.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by EddieO'
... the oil tank has a lot of pressure in it.it has so much it blows oil out of the vent hole in the cap.when its idleing you can feel the air pushing out of it and when I ride it its just blowing it out on my rear pipe.the faster it goes the more it blows out.
Everything sounds good until this part. So something is not right.

How about the oil tank vent line? It is a 1/4" ID black rubber line that runs from the top of the oil tank to a fitting on the rear edge of the gearcase [cam] cover.

How about the oil pump timing. I am not familiar with the process as my IronHead is a newer one. But the timing must be correct for proper crankcase ventillation etc. Timing is set by orienting the oil pump gear with the pinion gear. You would have to see the manual or hear from someone else who is familiar with the process.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM
EddieO'
3rd Gear

Thanx Mick..just went and tried something.I took the vent line off the oil tank and fired it up..a lot of pressure is comming out of the line so I rode it about two blocks and kinda letting the rpms come up when I got back oil all on my rear pipe and oil was all in the vent tube. now I know where its comming from just gotta find out why.guess I'm going to check the oil pump timing now..I think the rocker box problem is ok.I left the clear hoses on and seen oil in the bottom of them.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I do not know, but i think there should be no pressure from the oil tank vent line into the oil tank; the line should be relieving pressure from the tank not exerting pressure into it. It is just that i have not run across this before. So yes, i guess checking oil pump timing would be the next thing to try - unless someone who knows more comes along with another idea.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM
EddieO'
3rd Gear

Thanx again.it helps very much to talk with someone else and get feedback and ideas.every thing you said I totally agree with.so I'm gonna check the timming on the oil pump and see where I am.I was kinda thinking that but denying it.thanx again.ill post again when I find out..I thought about something...you know, a ironhead picks you, you don't pick it..I never intended to get a Harley I was after a triumph Bonneville..but when I seen my bike I said "that's me " funny how things work.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Ironhead Dave
Advanced

Originally Posted by EddieO'
I thought about something...you know, a ironhead picks you, you don't pick it..I never intended to get a Harley I was after a triumph Bonneville..but when I seen my bike I said "that's me " funny how things work.
I have owned dirt bikes since I was six. My dad used to ride but after several close calls (not his fault), he gave it up. As long as we lived under his roof, he wouldn't let any of us get road bikes. I move out and wanted a crotch rocket in the worst way. I stumbled upon my Ironhead and as beat up as it was, I had to have it. Even now, it pisses me off to no end sometimes but I can't get rid of it. I'll just park it for a while and come back when my head is on straight.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
EddieO'
3rd Gear

Yep..that's the same for me to..they really have a appeal to them.they remind me of a pit -bull and a Ak -47...they are the baddest of the bunch can take a beating and keep comming. You have to make a commitment to own one.

Quick Reply: need help