Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Fuel Filter Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Failure

Does anyone have experience with these types of fuel filters?

Got one to cure the problem of junk in the tank ending up blocking the float needle/seat and ever so slowly dripping fuel down the cylinders. It worked great for 45 miles, then I go on the flick up the enricher on my Mikuni leaving work today and it falls apart in my hands. Luckily to accomodate the filter I have a long fuel line that I was able to bypass the filter.

Its not broken, nothing looks wrong but I can't get it to screw back together. If I do end up getting it back together, I dont know that I trust it at this point because if that happened on the road I could foresee problems. Im reluctant to try loctite on the threads because the threads touch fuel.

I'm sure my indy shop would accept it as a return, I still have the packaging, clamps and backup filter. I thought it seemed like a good style because I could change the filter, and I liked the glass that allowed me to see if fuel was flowing.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have use one like this for years. I found it leaked once a few miles after a good cleaning of it, tightened it up--fine since.

keep an eye on it for a while. I'm sure once some fuel varnishes inside it it will not work itself loose on you again. Just keep an eye on it for a few weeks

s

Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what i have used for years never a problem

Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
ActsCh7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used these for years with great success. They're cheap, don't come apart, and you can see the fuel flow. My Harley shop doesn't carry them so I buy them at the Triumph dealer. One of these nicely protected my motor against a rusting tank (old tank liner suddenly came loose from built up rust). The fuel filter clogged and the motor cut out before any harm occurred.