Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

sportster valve adjustment

Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
stoneyone2001
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy ironhead question what happend to my valves

yesterday i rode to the auto parts store and when i came out i saw a little oil coming out around a rocker box bolt so i went thru and tightented all the bolts but when i started it it didn't run the same as it did when i parked does anybody think the same as me that when i tightened them up {they where all kinda loose}it put a little more pressure down on the push rod maybe holding the valve open a little bit to much i know it sounds crazy but im sure i could hear a little extra air coming out the front pipe ive been riding this one bike for years it has straight pipes and its loud but i know its sounds like a daddy knows his sons cry im fixing to go adjust the push rods and see if it helps anybody ever had something like this happen to them or know somebody and one more thing when the valve is open should i be able to spin the push rod or is that a little to loose? thanks for any help you guy can give

Last edited by stoneyone2001; 09-10-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: wrong tittle
Old 09-10-2012, 04:12 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by stoneyone2001
yesterday i rode to the auto parts store and when i came out i saw a little oil coming out around a rocker box bolt so i went thru and tightented all the bolts but when i started it it didn't run the same as it did when i parked does anybody think the same as me that when i tightened them up {they where all kinda loose}it put a little more pressure down on the push rod maybe holding the valve open a little bit to much ..,
Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. I would go over the whole bike, every nut and bolt. What i do is i start with a 1/4" wrench and do a walk-around tightening everything that it fits. Then i do the same with each other wrench, socket, screwdriver, etc. And i do this on a sort-of-a regular basis.

Here's the push rod adjust video ...

and in words ...

Ironhead Push Rod Adjustment

Do this procedure with the engine stone cold. I usually do it first thing in the morning.

1. Remove the spark plugs. Remove A/C to make room to work.

2. Using a flat blade screwdriver pry the spring keeper off of each push rod; the bottom of the keeper pops out first, then the top. Alternately, use a 3/4" open end wrench to push down on the top of the spring retainer, then pry out the spring keeper with the screwdriver.

3. The lower push rod covers may be stuck tight against the bottom o-rings, but they can be loosened by pinching between thumb and finger [or carefully using a shop rag and a pliers] and twisting or rotating. Lift these up and secure each with a tall-S-shaped piece of 12 or 14 gauge household wire [not cable] [or a long piece of Plumbers solder such as 95/5 hooked over the rocker cover and under the push rod cover.

4. Jack up back end of the bike so that rear wheel is off the ground, shift to 2nd gear, rotate wheel until it clicks, repeat until you get to 4th gear. Now by rotating the rear wheel you are rotating the engine. Almost impossible with the plugs in; very difficult in lower gears.

5. To adjust a particular push rod, its valve must be fully closed [the valve spring is relaxed]. Valve position for a particular cylinder is determined by observing the corresponding push rod of the other cylinder. For example, when the rear cylinder intake valve tappet is raised [valve fully open, spring compressed], the front cylinder intake valve is fully closed, and the front intake push rod can be adjusted.

6. Check [and adjust if necessary] the push rods:

[a] use the rear wheel rotate the engine so that the rear cylinder exhaust push rod tappet is fully raised. The front cylinder push rod is adjusted correctly if it has no vertical or horizontal play, and you can just rotate the push rod between thumb and forefinger with no trace of binding or dragging.

[b] to adjust if needed: hold the adjusting screw in place with a wrench; with another wrench loosen the split locknut. Then turn the adjusting screw using fingers only until the pushrod's ball end is seated in the tappet with a "slight amount of play". Then tighten further as follows:

Option 1: Adjust on the tighter end of the range: There should be no vertical or horizontal play, and you should be just able to rotate the push rod between thumb and forefinger with no trace of binding or dragging.

Option 2: Adjust on the looser end of the range: Set the adjusting screw to finger tight so that you cannot turn the push rod between forefinger and thumb. Undo it a tiny bit so that it is just barely loose. Then loosen it 1 "side" for an exhaust or 1/2 "side" for an intake. "Side" refers to one side of the 6-sided adjusting nut.

EDIT: Experience here is that Option 2 is the better and most likely the correct choice.

[c] hold the adjusting screw in place with the one wrench; with the other wrench tighten the locknut.

[d] recheck the adjustment; it is common for the adjustment to go out as you do step [c], in which case [b] and [c] must be redone.

[e] repeat for the other push rods.

7. Use a flat blade screwdriver to push the upper push rod covers up, and seat them into the upper o-ring or cork washer.

8. Install the spring keepers, top end first, by prying them in under the bottom with a flat blade screwdriver.

Last edited by IronMick; 09-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.