Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1983 roadster no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 PM
ncottrell2009
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 roadster no spark

i have a 1983 roadster that i have worked on a bit lately it started when i replaced the headlight with a chopper style lamp an in doing so i had to cut into the harness, since i no longer have blinkers or a horn i removed those wires in the process,a couple weeks later i parked the bike an it never started again. I have no spark from either plug, i went thru the troubleshooting in my book an it came up with the ignition module replaced the stock ignition with a dyna ignition and removed the components that went with it. i still have no spark. ugh!!!!!!
now my question is what could i be missing? i'm guessing i have a ground or something messed up. the voes component is a ground that was originally connected to original equipment. and the new dyna only has 2 wires attached to it and i am almost positive they both connect to the coil. so any input of where to start from here would be great, thanks guys for reading and any help i can get, Nick

Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Which Dyna do you have? Perhaps post a pic of it. Are you still using the OEM ignition coil or a new one? Again a pic may be helpful.

The coil should have two white wires on one terminal and a single wire on the other. One white wire brings 12 volts into the coil from the RUN switch [which gets it from the IGN circuit breaker], the other white wire carries that 12 volts down to the ignition module.

The single wire on the other end of the coil is the signal wire to the coil from the ignition module.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 AM
ncottrell2009
3rd Gear

i have a stock dual fire coil on the bike, its good i have a 2nd i have swapped to be sure, the bike actually had 2 whit wires coming off of one side and 2 pink wires coming of the other side. the dyna ignition has one blue wire and one white wire.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The two white wires on one side should be correct - one from the RUN switch and the other to the Dyna. The blue wire from the Dyna should run to the other side of the coil.

The two pink wires? leftovers from something. Not part of the original wires for a 1980 or part of a Dyna AFAIK. Where do they run to?

Does the Dyna look like one of these? ...

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/harl..._category.aspx

Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM
ncottrell2009
3rd Gear

the dyna is a dyna s i also purchased the button for the replaces the original equipment. the pink wires where original on the bike as far as i can tell, they were woven into the wiring harness, one of them went to the ignition module i removed and the other one i'll have to look an see but i was thinking back to one of the fuses i'll go look an see. so what i did was removed one white and one pink wire form the coil and added the white and the blue ones to it. the first time i turned the bike over i had a real light orange spark in the back cylinder and nothing in the front. an that was the only time i got any spark out of it none since. my other question is should i be doing something with the voes system, like i said one of the wires went to the module and the other one is a frame ground

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Here are the instructions from the Dyna website for the DS6-1 and DS6-2. Which do you have?

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/down...ruct/DS6-1.pdf

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/down...ruct/DS6-2.pdf

I do not know what button you replaced?

For 1983 there was one pink wire to the tach from the coil. There was a red wire to the ignition module from the "points" plate.

Remove the VOES. Put a rubber cap onto the carb where the air hose ran between the VOES and the carb.

The Dyna is a dual fire ignition [AFAIK] so if one plug fires then so should the other at the same time. Switch plugs try again; switch wires try again.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM
ncottrell2009
3rd Gear

i've been trying to get the pictures to post but as of now no luck on that part, but i do have a stock oem coil for a dual fire ignition, the button i was talking about is actally the part that sits in the middle of the sensor piece of the ignition and is bolted to the cam its self. the part that spins. now i figured that is what i needed to do to the voes, its un hooked just not plugged off yet so i will go ahead and do that. now that being said the pink wire still attached to the coil goes to the headlight then from there splits off to the tach. the other pink wire went to the old ignition box that was behind the battery so it has been removed. an i'm not sure why i had a little spark on one cylinder an not the other i haven't been able to get anything since that one time and it was a really faded orange so it was still not even right there.
but since the original reason i started messing with the ignition in the first place was it just quit firing all the sudden, went from running great to not firing at all. so i'm looking for other options that could have maybe caused that so i may be all the way off and just wasted money on an ignition upgrade. i'm not mad it will be a good upgrade just not running still so no closer to fixing the problem yet, any more thoughts will be appreciated an helpful hints to uploading pics to here would be great as well