Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

New carb help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
cmcmillin1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New carb help

Hello everyone. I have an '83 Ironhead 1000 and bought a Mikuni vm 38 because of all the good things i read about it. The one I bought doesnt seem to have the enrichener or choke device like all the pictures Ive seen. And will not start my bike. Will this carb work on my bike and how do I tune it. Thanks

Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a lever; on mine it has the word choke engraved on it; some are not labelled. You press down one end the other end comes up bringing a small piston-like device with it, opening up the choke passage in the carb.

Regardless of the label it is not a choke; it is an enrichener. You always use it to start the bike regardless of the air temperature or other conditions. Do not hold the throttle open or partially open during starting. There is no accelerator pump so twisting the throttle prior to starting does nothing.

There are various sub-models of the VM38. The VM38-9 comes from the factory correctly jetted for an IronHead. Others may be set up for snowmobiles etc and will have to be re-jetted.

What are you using for a throttle cable? I can help there if you have not yet got one. If you have one where did you get it?

I have one and am just in the process of collecting parts etc to install it.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
cmcmillin1
Stage IV

I havent got a cable yet. I just happened to notice when i got the carb out of the box that where the enrichener is in all the pictures ive seen, all i have is a brass fitting with a slotted screw down inside. Is this the wrong type VM38 or do i buy the enrichener seperately. Or is this something new that i need to adjust. It didnt come with a manual and everything online shows it with the enrichener assembly. Kind of lost at this point.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Post some pics of your carb.

This one is a VM38; you can see the lever ...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...EwEw&dur=16168

Google Mikuni VM38 pictures for lots more pics.

Last edited by IronMick; 10-23-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some mikuni info
http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html#vm

Last edited by Dual-Linkerts; 10-23-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 PM
cmcmillin1
Stage IV

Heres a pic.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Here's a VM38-9 ...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwAQ&dur=7349

Yours is missing the choke lever. I wonder about the internal choke mechanism? Where did you get it? Was it promoted as a VM38-9?

Last edited by IronMick; 10-23-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cmcmillin1

Heres a pic.
There are three different models of VM38 carbs with 3 different types of starter systems.

You will need to use a starter system to get an engine started and as Mick has said..... This is done with a closed throttle.

What you have pictured is a 'cable type starter' and as the name implies, you are going to need a cable hooked up to get it to work. The part number for this starter assembly is 002-351. That is one of the three types.

The second type of starter system is called a 'Pull Up Type Starter System'.
This item comes with a plastic button **** attached to the starter system and you pull the **** up to start the engine.
The part number for this assembly is 002-352 This is the second of the three types.

Now we come to the third and most popular type of starter system.
This comes on a VM38-9 Mikuni and is called 'the Lever Starter System' and as mentioned comes with a lever to push down to engage the starter system when starting the engine. There are NO OTHER types of starter systems other than these three.

Unfortunately you purchased a Mikuni VM carb that is not a model VM38-9.
Most likely a cable type starter system may be used on a Norton or Triumph but I have no direct knowledge of this myself.

What I recommend you do is contact Sudco and buy a 002-352 Pull Up Type Starter System assembly and thread it into your carb to replace the cable system.
Of course BE SURE to ask Sudco if this is a direct replacement for your carb before you drop the fantastic plastic on them.
It should work but I cannot say for sure that it will. They can.

Failing that, the very best thing you can do is return your carb for credit and buy a VM38-9 carb if that is possible.
pg

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
cmcmillin1
Stage IV

Thanks a lot. I will give them a call

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser

Don't get me wrong the Mikumi VM38mm carb is a very nice carb. I have a 77 XLH and I change my Mikumi to a much better carb. I went with a CV carb off a 1990 sporty my friend had. I love the way the CV carb perform's and it's really easy to tune.. If you can change to a CV Carb. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: New carb help