Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 AM
cutthroatxxx
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?

Hi all I just bought this 67 ironhead yesterday I think I got a great deal.The whole bike has been powdercoated,he had a new tank &the old one as well as new seat&old one&a exhaust off of a 2000.Top end was rebuilt the paper from the machine shop said one of the cylinders had a knick that boring 30s over didn't clean up.
*********** From what the seller tells me the machine shop told him the nitch didn't go up to the rings so its ok..bike needs wired &a few odds&ends but mostly complete.I figured if I have to buy a new cylinder I'm fine with that.Here's a pic of a note from machine shop I can't make out the last two words..I called them but they burnt down so lost all records.He also had every extra part marked&a ton of spare parts like a huge box full.l,every nut&bolt he replaced&a folder with every recipet for everything..he only used j&p cycles.And I only paid 1100.00!He said his wife made him sell it as he got it in 96&yes been building it ever since&she was pi$$ed about $ going into it&he has no idea how to wire it or adjust the valves.He seemed like a great guy.
My buddy is trying to get a wiring schematic for it.I wanted to hardtail it&maybe put on a springer,but the more I look @ it the more I like it.but then again I really like the hardtails &I plan on keeping this one so what do you guys think buy a pachugo or get a bolt on hardtail?Because I made up my mind seeings this thing is all there I'm not gonna hack the frame up.anybody have an idea where to pick up these style pipes?The black bike is mine.Ill post more pix when I get it unloaded..which btw is a pain in the *** trying to get it in my huge lifted truck.
Lastly this thing has a cowl did they come stock with this bike?Also what are these pieces next to the cowl?So what do you guys think?Thanks fellas
Also why in this forum does it only display two topics @a time
I'm logged in &the other forums show em all

Attached Thumbnails my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?-20130329_130825.jpg   my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?-20130329_130954.jpg   my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?-20130329_131015.jpg   my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?-20130329_233215.jpg   my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?-20130329_125338-2.jpg  

Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 AM
cutthroatxxx
6th Gear

Here's the pic with the pipes I was asking about..why don't the pictures all display either?

Attached Thumbnails my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?-sc20130328-211239-1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

i would not sweat the cylinder nick, i have seen them scored up and down the entire length and ran fine, plus the cylinder is powder coated and it will be a thing to re do, with than ending up with a mix and match the piston set, as you would not re bore a new cylinder to .030 would you ---- so leave it

second the case numbers 67 XLH ##### and those cowls are very hard to find, the bike originally had a headlight nacell ( fork gaiters you have on the forks were original to the mini dresser look ) - the saddlebags - and a two up right seat with a rear alloy grab rail that was used as a hold on kind of hahahaha - do a search and see what it looked like new and copying it would make it worth the most but that would be me --

this is a smaller forum for classic bikes, the guys dont give stupid answers to questions and have a like minded approach to the bike you have . being small and being informative the flamers a PP pullers go someplace else its no fun if you cant gang up and give incorrect info that is for the other sites that let that happen - ask real questions with pictures and try and use the factory book so what you call something the people in the know / know what your talking about and you will get good info from a pile of guys -- just my take - jz

Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

First, congratulations and welcome to the IronHead craziness. Second, i would finish putting it together, get it running and ride it for a season before doing the modifications that you have in mind. That is the only way to find out really how good it is and how much money it is going to suck out of your spare cash.

You have a 1967 XLH meaning it has electric start. First year for electric start on a Sportster. Have you checked the title and the serial number on the left side of the engine? There will be no VIN on the frame asa that did not start until 1970.

I believe that he is correct about the nick in the cylinder being OK if it is away from ring contact. The last two words may be "cust[omer] using"?

You need these two factory manuals ...

99484-69 Service Manual
'99451-78B Parts catalog

These are widely available from a local indie shop, HD dealer, J&P Cycles, eBay, and various internet sellers. Just put the part numbers into the Google and eBay searches. Better if you can find copies on eBay with -nn closer to -67 as they will not contain the later info, and may contain info left out of the later manuals. These can be very difficult to find and may cost much much more as the restorationists will be bidding on them.

Do not do any dismantling, especially of the engine, without these manuals in hand; spend many hours studying them cover to cover. They do contain the wire diagrams.

They did not come stock with the headlite cowl./ I expect the two extra pieces are needed to attach the main piece.

There are probably only two recent posts to show. You can show older posts using the Display Options where it says "Showing threads 1 to 3 of 3" or whatever.

Forum probably allows only 5 posts at a time.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
oil leak
Advanced

I would do a bolt on hardtail imo. 1st it is easier to do and 2nd you can always switch it back to softtail if you wanted to. My 65 is a bolt on hardtail. You can look at the pics in my garage, i haven't figured out how to put them up on here yet.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
sic_graphics
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice bike and love the look of it... enjoy the bike wish I could help with questions but I am new to it all and currently trying to figure out my bike too

Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM
cutthroatxxx
6th Gear

First off thanks guys..tons of info I didn't even realize it had a starter as previous owner said it was a kick only bike.After you told me that I went&looked&sure enough there was a starter there On the generator there's what appears to be a oil line coming out of it?What the heck is it?
Thanks for making me feel so welcome fellas.I've been on some site with some real d baggers

Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 PM
cutthroatxxx
6th Gear

I was told that this isn't the correct will and or sprocket/ hub. is that correct? also here is a picture of the original seat. and why do my pictures only show up as a link? how do I make them show up also can I use photobucket?

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 03-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
... On the generator there's what appears to be a oil line coming out of it?What the heck is it? ...
I presume you mean the metal tube coming out of the 6:00 o'clock position of the gearcase [cam] cover on the right hand side of the bike? This is the crankcase vent. I know, it is a long way from the crank, but hey, i did not design this thing, eh.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
I was told that this isn't the correct will and or sprocket/ hub. is that correct? ...
Will == Wheel?

Anyway, there is lots of stuff on that bike that is not "correct". I would not worry about any of it unless there is a safety issue.

Quick Reply: my new 67&why does this forum only show 2 topics?