Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Clutch Hub

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
xBigMarkx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Hub

I bought a clutch hub for my 68 ironhead off eBay. It seems to fit the gears fine but I can't get all the clutch plats back in. I don't have the old clutch hub to compare. This part is off a 1970. Is it the wrong part. Can I make it work?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Terminology, to be certain we are on the same page: the hub is the smaller, inner part with the studs; the sprocket assembly is the larger, outer part into which the hub and plates fit.

My parts 99451-78B catalog shows these two hubs ...

37566-75B: L57 to 66 XL, XLH, XLCH; and 67 to 69 XLCH
37557-67: 67 to 70 XLH, 70 XLCH

I do not know what are the differences between these two part numbers. 1967 to 1969 were the first models with electric start.

I had a basket case 1969 which presumably had all original parts. I had the clutch assembly apart in my basement for a while [a few weeks?] after which the parts would not go back together.

I brought them outside to my shop, let them warm up, and fiddled with them for a while. I eventually determined how to orient and sequence the plates so that they would all go into the sprocket assembly along with the hub.

I think the plates had worn themselves into a certain pattern, and i had to determine what that pattern was.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by IronMick; 04-06-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM
xBigMarkx
Intermediate

Thanks it does. It sounds like the part should be the same. The old plates seem dirty and a bit oily Maybe they have gotten wet and swollen.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xBigMarkx
Thanks it does. It sounds like the part should be the same. The old plates seem dirty and a bit oily Maybe they have gotten wet and swollen.
If you have a set of 1968 clutch plates and they are oily then you may find trouble ahead.
The 1968 (and all others up to and including 1970) are dry clutches and oil will kill the plates.
The dry clutches have a bonnet over the clutch plates and seals in the rear of the clutch basket. If any oil gets on these plates the clutch will slip badly.

If, on the other hand someone ahead of you installed Barnett plates, or the ones you bought are Barnett, then these will stand a little oil.
pg

Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM
BigMarkStreetBob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by piniongear
If you have a set of 1968 clutch plates and they are oily then you may find trouble ahead.
The 1968 (and all others up to and including 1970) are dry clutches and oil will kill the plates.
The dry clutches have a bonnet over the clutch plates and seals in the rear of the clutch basket. If any oil gets on these plates the clutch will slip badly.

If, on the other hand someone ahead of you installed Barnett plates, or the ones you bought are Barnett, then these will stand a little oil.
pg

hmmm. Not sure of the brand. They look like cork if that helps I guess I should order new ones. They are not soaked and I think they have gotten oily outside of the bike because the clutch hub cover and gasket doesn't seem to have been leaking. I just can't figure out why they all wont go in. Would like to figure that out before I order new ones.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

3 - things you need to do and or check

1 - the clutch hub has a seal in the back that is prone to leaking oil

2 - the derby gasket as was talked about above needs to be glued very well so as not to leak as well

3 - now in my shop and anyone who knows dry clutch sportys will tell you the primary chain rides over riverts on the clutch hub, and those riverts leak oil in as well, you need to epoxy them the riverts as well if the picture thing worked in my CP to the site i could send you a picture of one done but i cant -- Now Mick might have a picture ???? - jz

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

These two PhotoBucket albums contain various clutch and transmission pics of the 1969 basket case that i had, and decided to part out rather than build. I do not know much about these parts so i do not know if there is anything here that may be helpful ...

http://s486.photobucket.com/user/mda...ClutchAndTrans

http://s486.photobucket.com/user/mda...sClutchPrimary

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM
xBigMarkx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
3 - things you need to do and or check

1 - the clutch hub has a seal in the back that is prone to leaking oil

2 - the derby gasket as was talked about above needs to be glued very well so as not to leak as well

3 - now in my shop and anyone who knows dry clutch sportys will tell you the primary chain rides over riverts on the clutch hub, and those riverts leak oil in as well, you need to epoxy them the riverts as well if the picture thing worked in my CP to the site i could send you a picture of one done but i cant -- Now Mick might have a picture ???? - jz
Thanks. I would like to see a picture of what you do.

I worked on it some more and i got all the clutches in and it seems to hold (I put the bike in gear and it would slide the tire when I pushed it) Now I have a new problem. The bolts from the clutch hub stick out so far I can't get the clutch hub cover (not sure what it is called) back on. I assume I can't run it without this cover and I don't think the primary would go back on even if I tried to run without the cover.

I can't figure it out because all my research says that is the right part and it fits fine but seems too shallow for the clutches and the bolts stick out.

Thanks again. Mark

Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
xBigMarkx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronMick
These two PhotoBucket albums contain various clutch and transmission pics of the 1969 basket case that i had, and decided to part out rather than build. I do not know much about these parts so i do not know if there is anything here that may be helpful ...

http://s486.photobucket.com/user/mda...ClutchAndTrans

http://s486.photobucket.com/user/mda...sClutchPrimary
Looking at your picture I know something is wrong with mine. My clutch hub is sticking out way too much. Not sure why.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

ok as i remember it they hade 2 dirfferent clutch hubs a single row drum ( one bearing in the hub ) and a double row drum ( 2 bearings in the drum ) and the 4th gear is different for each -

not knowing if this bike was running or not when you got it you might have a mix of parts - soooooo take some pictures of what you have and post them up, it will be easyer than trying to guess what your looking at verses what some know to be correct or not correct - jz

Quick Reply: Clutch Hub