Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

74 ironhead starter solinoid actuater problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 AM
ironhead smitty
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 ironhead starter solinoid actuater problem

hello everyone.. im working with my 74 ironhead. i run a mikuni 38mm of course and i love the old girl. ive had her a few years and not complaining one bit. i did some work a year ago and seems everything is breaking. she was orignally .030 over when i got it. someone boo booed before me and had bad scaring on jugs. i went .060 over with them.(had the pistons already) since then the starter got replaced along with solinoid, a broken starter drive shaft and actuater. i welded the actuater back together and it broke in new area this time.i gota new one and just waiting for it to get here but curious if the .060 over is too much and need to go high torque starter? its is new but drags quite a bit. could a combination be causing the breaking? any advise is great

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ironhead smitty
hello everyone.. im working with my 74 ironhead. i run a mikuni 38mm of course and i love the old girl. ive had her a few years and not complaining one bit. i did some work a year ago and seems everything is breaking. she was orignally .030 over when i got it. someone boo booed before me and had bad scaring on jugs. i went .060 over with them.(had the pistons already) since then the starter got replaced along with solinoid, a broken starter drive shaft and actuater. i welded the actuater back together and it broke in new area this time.i gota new one and just waiting for it to get here but curious if the .060 over is too much and need to go high torque starter? its is new but drags quite a bit. could a combination be causing the breaking? any advise is great
Being bored plus .060 has no affect at all on the starting issue.
If your starter is dragging then that is a starter issue and you need to fix that.
For something like a broken starter shaft, replacing with new is always a better solution than welding up a broken shaft.
The shaft is subject to a high amount of stress in turning the engine over.
Install the new shaft and find out why the starter is dragging and fix that.
Then you should be good to go.
pg