Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

78 Ironhead Shifter Issue

Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM
tobascofred
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 78 Ironhead Shifter Issue

I picked up a 78 XLH "assembled basket-case" - last owner left it on as trailer for seven years, all old fluids, etc.

I've worked though a bunch of issues (electrical, starter, solenoid, brakes, carb, tank, etc, etc) but got the scooter tore down and re-assembled to the point of taking it for a spin last night. Went around the block and to the gas station and home.

I was trying to find neutral at the house and the whole shifter assembly (lever and knurled rod) went down to 6:00-low. I can rotate the whole assembly about 270 degrees (probably all around but for footpeg shaft).

It moves stiffly and I can feel where is almost wants to engage gears.

I found a picture of the whole shift rod assembly and for 78 model it looks like it is two pieces -the shaft and then the mechanism that moves the dogs.

Does anyone know if that is correct and that maybe the rod and the dog piece are loose?

And if so, how far down do I have to tear in to the engine/tranny and from which direction?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

tobascofred
2010 SSH
1999 Night Train
1978 Sportster
1965 Chevy II
(and then there are my boys' cars taking up space and insurance / registration $$$ too...)

Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Ken Oaff
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to get a factory parts manual

Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 2,865 Posts

when they put it in ( the trans ) they missed it when installing the detent for the shifter that fits into a special slot - and did not know to check it before finishing the rest of the job

now you have to start over and remove the primary the clutch and sprockets and the trans completly < reason - you can do a half 1/2 trans remove but it does not sound like you have done that before, and it will be a disaster if you try - also on the right side you will need to remove the rear exhaust and the cover for the master cylinder rear brake or the kicker i did not look what year you have -- and the chain and drive sprocket to do the job correctly

if you have a repair book and are mechanical inclined than go for it, if not have someone do it for you its really not that hard but you need to be sure at what your doing - jz

Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM
tobascofred
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

johnjzjz, Thanks for the info. No, I have never done this, yes I have a manual (Clymers) and yes I am more that a little mechanically inclined. I just put the sporty up on the scooter lift and I will start tearing into it. Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

You really do need to get these two manuals ...

99484-78 Factory Service Manual
99451-78B Factory Parts Catalog

The Clymer is a good manual but for this kind of work, any internal engine work, you really do need both of these.

They are widely available, about $60 each, best tools you will ever purchase. Put the part numbers into the Google and eBay searches; or purchase for a few $s more from a local indie bike shop [best choice!, support your local guy] or any HD dealership.