Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1958 Sportster Chopper

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:46 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,779 Likes on 2,064 Posts
Default 1958 Sportster Chopper

I was at one of the HD dealerships in SATx today.

Into the lot rolls a 1958 Sportster Chopper. Built in 1969 by Arlen Ness.

Now this is a motorcycle.

I didn't care for the 1.5 gallon tank, or the struts, but this was definately one very nice machine.

Of course I did not have a camera.

1958:

XLH introduced with higher compression and larger valves
Camshaft gears became integrated with the camshafts, eliminating the need for a woodruff key.
Drive gearshaft was enlarged .125 in.
Drive gear and second gear support shaft was enlarged .125 in and had 8 splines (instead of 6).
Choke control lever moved from left side to the air cleaner.
Heavier clutch cover and new gasket.
New oil resistant clutch hub seal and gearshaft o-ring.
Two brush generator.
Optional turn signals and 1 in over suspension.
The XLC & XLCH (Competition/California Hot)
Larger ports and valves
High domed pistons
Light ended tappets
Magneto ignition
Production Information:
XL (579), $1,155
XLH (711)
XLC
XLCH (239)

Here's what one writer has to say:

In February, 1958 the company advertised the Sportster H, as in XLH with larger ports and intake valves,
and a compression ratio of 9:1, but the model shown has lights and even case guards. (see photo)

What the ads didn't tell us was that when the XL was introduced to the dealers several of the sharper guys,
former racer turned dealer Sam Arena for one, said that the bike was nice, but what about sport?
What about something that the dealer could sell to the armature racer? For the woods and deserts?

The executives didn't think much of the idea. But they were fair men and offered to build such a version.
if the California crowd would promise to order at least 100 examples.

They did. And the factory came through with a stripper, the same XL frame and engine, but without lights or horn,
or even a battery. There was a solo seat, a tiny fuel tank borrowed from the two-stroke single, and instead of the
ignition timer there was a real magneto, perched atop the timing case and ready to deliver the same sparks
and grief as the KR racers got.

The record gets confused here, but from the scant evidence collected we know there were several hundred
stripped XLS built and sold, mostly in 1958. The adds of the day show the model and call it the XLC.

OK, the idea came from the California dealers, and that's where the bikes went at first and it's my bet
backed up by the old-timers, that C stood for California.

The XLC got the attention it deserver and this time the factory reckoned they could do even better if the thing
had some claim to road use.

Thus, early in 1958 Harley Davidson combined the stripped XLC, inspired by the dealers,
and the beefed engine from the XLH . . . and called it the XLCH.

We're going into all this because when the XLH was introduced, some clever ad writer
decided to say H stood for Hot. And a few years after that,
the same wiseacre said CH meant Competition Hot, and lazy reporters ever sinced
have picked that up as gospel and it ain't. Competition Harleys have R in their designations
and C has stood for Classic or even Custom while H designates Heavy Duty
(Refer to the history of the VLH for querulous details) .or possibly High compression
(The stock FL was a lower compression version of the hotter FLH.)

Back to the XLCH.

Harley Davidson had invented the superbike.

Not the sports bike, nor the fast bike, nor even the high-performance bike.
The XLCH was like a P-47 or a prewar Ford with a bored-out Mercury V-8,
never mind that a 707 cruised faster or a Duesenberg had more rated power.

The XLCH looked the part. The stock tank was tiny, the fenders were smaller,and the bars lower,
and in some years the pipes were hig

Old 07-01-2006, 03:36 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 1958 Sportster Chopper

Hey mud.....I would like to make a few comments on your interesting post.
First is about the color photo of the Blue/White CH. I can tell you it is certainly not a 1958. There was a 1958 model (that I am sure few people have ever seen) and this seems to try to represent that model.
The bike was Blue/White, like the one in the photo. It had the center mount oil tank (but not chromed).
It had no lights or license plate holder.
It had no generator.
It had no horn.
It had a chopped rear fender, like photo #2. (This photo is a legitimate shot of a 1958 XLR. Probably a factory literature piece.)
It had no centerstand. (Has anyone ever seen a Sportster with a centerstand? (If so, please let me know about that one.)
The exhaust pipes were a two into one style. Both pipes went into one pipe, which turned straight up just past the kickstart lever. The pipe ran up to the rightside rear fender strut. There it elbowed 90 degrees straight back alongside the strut and had a shorty muffler on this part of the pipe. Kinda made you think this was an Enduro model Sportster, made to run through high water.
Finally, the bike pictured has a front brake drum that came off of a Sportster made sometime between 1964 and 1972. On 1963 and earlier (back to #1 in 1957) the bike used the same brake drum pictured in the 1958 XLRTT Sportster photo. This was a thin drum on the right hand side of the wheel. That thin drum was used since 1952 when the K Model was introduced for the first time.
So, in my opinion this photo had to be taken after that front hub was made. I think it is a nice bike that someone rebuilt using a combination of parts. Nice job, but certainly is not an original.

The 'H' standing for 'hot' and 'CH' for 'competion hot' is a subject often discussed. Seems like that is an old rumor and I have never seen any proof that it is correct. The Harley factory itself cannot confirm this.

The XLRTT was a swing arm Sportster made for TT (Tourist Trophy) racing in AMA's class C competion back in the 1950's and 1960's. TT was a track that had to contain a minimum of one right hand turn, and often had jumps included, although not like motocross that came along later on. Perhaps the most famous is the Peoria IL event. This was the reason that it had a swing arm frame with rear shock absorbers.

The last photo is called out as a 1959 XLR Sportster. It is obviously a dirt track machine, but notice the rigid rear section of the frame. This setup was never used for TT races because of the need of swing arm frame. This rigid section was a bolt on affair. It actually is made to fit a KR dirt tracker. Heck, you could bolt that on to a road version of a Sportster back then. So, the picture indicates to me that it is set up for flat track racing.
The problem there is a couple of things:
1) It has brakes. AMA did not allow any class C dirt trackers to have brakes on the machines, no downshifting was allowed during the race, and everybody stopped by downshifting after the event had concluded and by dragging your feet.
2) The engine is a Sportster, 900cc ohv. For all class C flat track racing, the AMA only allowed a maximum displacement of 45 cu inches (750 cc) for a flathead engine (Harley KR) or 30.50 cu inches (all other brand X bikes) for an overhead valve engine.
Harley controlled the American Motorcycle Assn back in those days, so the rules favored the KR, especially on the road race and one mile flat tracks where cubic inches were king.
Sportsters could only compete in TT races because of the displacement rule. They could never be run on flat tracks. Someone may have TT'd a rigid frame Sportster, but it is unlikely. I certainly have never seen or heard of this being done.
That last photo appears that someone again put some parts together to make a nice bike, but not an original one.

If anyone is interested, the 'R' in XLR stands for (no, not

Old 07-01-2006, 02:28 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Hey Pinion, I had a centerstand for a Sporty. It came off a bud's '76 or '77 XLT. We put some Superglide shocks on it to lower the rear of the bike. The centerstand wouldn't work worth a flip after that, as it was too much of a PITA to lift the lowered bike onto it. He was worried about draggin' it on something, too. The bike was purchased used in 1978, so I don't know if the stand was original equipment. I sold the stand at a swap meet/flea market in Charleston, SC sometime in early 1981.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:00 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks poco.....I have never seen or heard of a centerstand for an XL, so I learn something new every day. A stand does not show up in any of my parts manuals, but then I have nothing newer than 1974.
Oh man, I can just image what a chore it would to take a lowered Sportster to an upright position on a centerstand! Talk about grunting!
That must have been made available after 1976. Now I wonder how long it lasted 'on the market' before HD decided to list it as another N/A item? Maybe someone out there knows when it started and when it ended. Thanks again

Old 07-01-2006, 11:25 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

There's also the possibility it was an aftermarket item. I don't really know where it came from, other than off that XLT. I think I remember someone (Stroicek, maybe?) making them in aluminum, though this one was steel.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:58 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

poco...maybe it was aftermarket. I grew up with KH and KHK motorcycles in the fifties and really took a strong interest beginning with the new Sportster introduced in 1957. I rode BSA and Triumph at that time, but was around Sportsters and became somewhat of a student on the subject. The english bikes had center stands. All of them came with those things.

Where in the world would you attach an aftermarket centerstand to a Sportster frame though? My detailed knowledge of a Sportster history is fairly well rounded out, but I admit that it comes to a close around 1976. That is why I think it must have been after 1976 that it was made, or else it was aftermarket.
I think if HD had made those things there would be some discussion about them from time to time. Or they would surely show up in photos from time to time. Especially in that it had to be more recent times. There should be a lot of those stands around. I see none at all.

Seeing that photo of the Blue/White bike that mud submitted is the first time I have ever seen (or heard of) such a thing, and boy did that look odd to me. That machine was not an original because of the differences I noted before, so I do not put any faith in the fact that the stand came with it. Your knowing someone who had one is the second time for me to hear about the subject.
I have to stand by my statement though, that a centerstand never exisited (in any form) prior to 1976. If someone shows me proof otherwise, please send me a copy and I will take a photo of myself eating that paper and post it here on the forum.
There, I have made a challenge to you guys. Make me eat my words....Ha-Ha

Old 07-02-2006, 01:08 AM
mud
muderator

ORIGINAL: piniongear
Hey mud.....I would like to make a few comments on your interesting post.
The exhaust pipes were a two into one style. Both pipes went into one pipe, which turned straight up just past the kickstart lever. The pipe ran up to the rightside rear fender strut. There it elbowed 90 degrees straight back alongside the strut and had a shorty muffler on this part of the pipe. Kinda made you think this was an Enduro model Sportster, made to run through high water.
.................................................. ..
I think it is a nice bike that someone rebuilt using a combination of parts. Nice job, but certainly is not an original.

The 'H' standing for 'hot' and 'CH' for 'competion hot' is a subject often discussed. Seems like that is an old rumor and I have never seen any proof that it is correct. The Harley factory itself cannot confirm this.
.................................................. ......
That last photo appears that someone again put some parts together to make a nice bike, but not an original one.
I had a personal friend who bought one of these XLR's here in Houston. Jack King Heller worked at Stelters Harley Davidson for many years and used to race this bike at Bonneville each year. He set a world record for his class one year at a recorded speed of 136 as I recall. This was for a pretty much stock bike running gasoline. Jack was really proud of that run and held it for quite a few years. Look at the Bonneville records of late fifties/eary sixties and you will see it.
Thanks for the post mud. You really got my attention with the mention of that special Sportster Model and the mention of an XLR. There is not much talk about either of those machines, I suppose because they are such rare examples. I don't think many guys today remember that machine. If someone is familar with it, please post a comment.
God, do I wish I had a 1958-59 XLR!

Amended info: I just found that upswept exhaust pipe in my old parts manual. The pipe (called a high level exhaust pipe) is part #65454-59 and states that it fits 1959 thru 1965 XLCH. So, this high pipe model was first available in 1959, not 1958 as I had stated eariler. In all my time here I may have seen perhaps one of these machines in person, but no more than that. Interesting. Thanks again mud.

pinion, thanks for your insight. The article is from unknown source.

Apparently got you thinking, as I see you are researching and editing. Seeing that 58 chopper got me thinkin. About time.

My first Sportster in 65, I wasn't paying much attention, I was very young then. Last sportster was a Sport, in 95, I believe it was.

Anyway, you lost me and cornfused me on some of your points. Like the no lights, no generator, etc part.

Mix and match goes back way before 58.

The blue and white photo appears to be a roadside museum exhibit or some such.
Who knows what went into piecing this one together. I wouldn't kick it out of bed though.
The centerstand may be added for exhibition sake. I have certainly never seen one on a sportster.

The CH thing, as Competition Hot, was the way I heard it way back when. Probably folk lore.
What would it actually or logically stand for??

You really lost me on the XLR stuff.

The comment regarding your friend King Heller got my attention.
Some friends of mine here in SATx built a Smooth jug stroker that set a record in whatever class it was that it ran in,
in the late 1960s I guess it was.
I believe they were running on alcohol.
As a side note here, their supercharged Triumph (car) engine powered go kart
running on nitro was pretty awesome at the drag strip.
Where Can I online look up the Bonneville stats??

I'm pro

Old 07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

The stand fit into the holes in the casting at the bottom rear of the frame. It's the casting that the lower frame rails, and the rear downtubes are welded into.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmm, you must be referring to the castings having two holes each, where the rear exhaust pipe bracket attaches? The left side casting has the two unused holes. Yeah, I can see where a stand could fit there. Interesting.
Hey mud...Good question about where to find the old Bonneville Records. I thought I could just go find those with no problem. I had no such luck. Doing a Goggle search turned up records but they only go back to 1992 or so. Most are more recent that that. There was one mention of Burt Munroe and his Indian, but even that was for 1967. I guess what I am looking for happened 45 years ago. Jeeze... where did that time go?

Old 07-02-2006, 02:47 AM
mud
muderator

ORIGINAL: piniongear
Hmmm, you must be referring to the castings having two holes each, where the rear exhaust pipe bracket attaches? The left side casting has the two unused holes. Yeah, I can see where a stand could fit there. Interesting.
Hey mud...Good question about where to find the old Bonneville Records. I thought I could just go find those with no problem. I had no such luck. Doing a Goggle search turned up records but they only go back to 1992 or so. Most are more recent that that. There was one mention of Burt Munroe and his Indian, but even that was for 1967. I guess what I am looking for happened 45 years ago. Jeeze... where did that time go?
I did a search as well, and found nothing of interest to me. Guess I'm looking for 66-7-8-9.

Good friend of mine now is racing a HD750 out there. I may try to go by his shop and take some pictures of his machine this week.
Nother friend of mine a few years back ran a 53 Studebaker through the clocks at over 200 mph
with the air conditioner running. Good advertising for his biz.

Hope you saw the photo of the "59 XLCH" with the 2 to 1 shorty on the fender.

mud

Quick Reply: 1958 Sportster Chopper