Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.
View Poll Results: Why do you check out vintage Harley threads?
I like all Harley's and check out all the threads.
32.29%
I especially like vintage Harley's
25.00%
I own a vintage Harley and look for threads related to my year of bike.
47.92%
I hope to own a vintage Harley and I am always looking for ideas/information on a certain year.
18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:23 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint Prep: So far I have the frame pressure washed, degreased and about 75% sanded - some spots down to bare metal. I will be using VHT Roll Bar and Chassis Paint. Hopefully the next post will be of me painting the frame and then on to preping the tins. I have a little body work to do on the rear fender and I have to build a mount to mount the shortened rear fender to the swing arm, but that will be a mid winter project. The 1969 peanut tank I have is in amazing shape, just needs the flat black paint and the wicked cool von Dutch pin stripe decals I got from Winner Cycle graphics.

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-2014-11-20-23.23.32.jpg   1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-2014-11-20-23.26.53.jpg   1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-2014-11-20-23.27.05.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Got some new parts delivered today, some bearings, fork caps and a primary case inspection tool thingy. Also finally got the frame and swing arm painted. Not the best painting conditions in the world, but it will do for a true garage build, and in keeping with doing everything I possibly can myself. The swing arm and frame were hung from my garage door rails and painted with a rattle can - turned out alright.

Next will be installing the new swing arm bearings and reattaching it to the frame. Then its on to cleaning and detailing and polishing the greasy, dirty 37 year old Ironhead engine, that should be fun.

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0295.jpg   1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0297.jpg  

Last edited by BayBones; 11-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:52 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Sweet Build! Keep on posting.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:15 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Default New direction for rear fender....

You know, sometimes you meet someone new who really changes the way you think about things!!!

I met this amazing custom bike builder and amazing fabricator from Halifax Nova Scotia (Middle Sackville actually) and his name is Sean MacLennan and he owned Sean's Non-Stock Customs near Halifax

http://www.snscustomsltd.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seans...37?sk=timeline

Well I went to his shop a few weeks back just to check out his amazing work and meet this wizard himself. A few weeks later I am getting him to build me a new swing arm mount for a new rear fender (Low Brow Customs), new seat mount bracket, new gas tank sight gauge and a brass gas tank filler cover!!!
This new fender hugs the rear wheel so perfectly and looks so slick on the mock up that I couldn't pass it up.

You should check out some of Sean's builds on his web site above, they are awesome and show just how talented this guy is.

What the hell happened to me building everything I can and doing all the work myself!?! Did I cop out on myself!?!

Naahhh.....I can't weld and I can't fabricate for ****, so I needed someone who really knows their stuff and around these parts that is Sean MacLennan.

I dropped off the frame and tank today and will probably pick up the finished product sometime in Jan or Feb which gives me lots of time to clean and polish and paint the engine which is the next project on my to do list......right after Christmas:-)

I did manage to get the swing arm bearing installed and the swing arm re-installed on the frame, so while progress has been a little slow lately things are still happening and there should be lots of fun thing s to post in 2015.

I know there have been lots of you checking out this thread and looking for updates - and I really appreciate that you are still watching and I hope to have lots of new progress pics and descriptions of the work in the new year.

In the mean while I want to take a moment to wish everyone that has been following this thread for about a year now a very Merry Christmas and a very happy and prosperous new year. May 2015 be your (and my) best year ever:-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year folks:-)

See you on 2015

Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

lookin forward to seein the bike

keep up the good work

Old 12-27-2014, 07:05 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BayBones
Great to see that you like some of the things I am doing on the bike Hell hound. And yes the frames on the Ironheads changed in 1979 when the frame on yours was introduced (78 was the last year for the frame on my bike). It has the rear shock pivot points moved farther back on the swing arm to improve handling, and the oil tank was redesigned into the sort of 'V" section for a more streamlined look. Classic bikes that seem to be growing in popularity among builders and collectors. Can you post some pics of your project?
got a few things done on my ironhead yesterday

i installed these 10.5" shocks i got used off ebay, quite a bit shorted than stock
and i installed my side license plate bracket with '33 ford replica light

for some reason the light did not work when i wired it up so i may need some advice on how to check that

Old 12-27-2014, 07:20 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

i have a list of things i want to do to it ( not near as much as what you are doing)

i have a spring seat i want to mount right on the frame (no springs)

blead the brakes , the front brake has alot of fade so im not sure if just bleeding it will fix it, need advice on this

repaint the motor

tighten steering stem and check bearings

fluid in front forks

when i was replacing the shocks yesterday i noticed that the swingarm has a ton of movement, so that is something new i need to get into

cut the rear fender down

and that is about it i think

after i bought it i already rebuilt starter, generator, new keyed ignition and some new wiring (not total), replaced plugs, points, advance plate, wieghts

it seems to be running pretty good. the only complant is i have to easy roll the throttle or else it will sputter and die if i "whack it", i could probobly use some advice on this too

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM
BayBones
Tourer

Hey Hell Hound, the bike is really coming along - looks great.

What are the specs on those rear shocks? I want to lower the rear end as well but have not seen a short set of shocks that will just bolt up? What brand are they and did you have to do any modifications to get them to fit?

The side mount light looks very cool - nice choice for these bikes I think.
I have a lot of the same items on my to do list - including mounting my seat directly to the frame - without the use of springs. I am having a seat mount built and will post pics once the frame work is finished.

I also have the same issue with my original Keihn Carb - from what I have read and been told the problem is with the accelerator pump blasting too much fuel when you crank on the gas - but I also do not know the solution. Seems like most guys go to aftermarket carbs like S&S E. I was recently advised that a Mikuni Flat Slide would be the best carb for the iron head - but I am not sure what to do.
If anyone knows how to fix these old carbs to work properly, your advice would be appreciated.

Keep posting update picks man, it really coming along:-)

Last edited by BayBones; 12-27-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

the shocks are 10.5" burley, the seller posted they fit touring bikes. Basically i just took a chance on them working and they seem to fit fine. They only change i made to them was i replaced the metal sleeves that go thru the bushing with the ones i pulled out of the old shocks. I just pressed them with the vise.

i dont have the part number

the old shocks were blown and you could compress them with your hand and they sounded like and air pump!!!!

my carb is an s&s super e

Old 12-27-2014, 11:49 AM
BayBones
Tourer

Does anybody have any experience replacing the stock shocks on the 1977 style frame with shorter shocks? I haven't had any luck trying to locate shorter shocks that fit this year frame. Looking to reduce the back ride height by about 2 inches. The original shocks are 14 inch I believe, so would be looking for 12 inches or less.

Quick Reply: 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build