Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.
View Poll Results: Why do you check out vintage Harley threads?
I like all Harley's and check out all the threads.
32.29%
I especially like vintage Harley's
25.00%
I own a vintage Harley and look for threads related to my year of bike.
47.92%
I hope to own a vintage Harley and I am always looking for ideas/information on a certain year.
18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:58 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL well I got some pics posted but it's kind of a mess but you can see some progress. I had to load the pics with my iPhone so not really sure what I screwed up. Any way I hope to have loads more pics over the coming days. I want to have both wheels back on and the wiring harness back in place soon. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Default Some parts reinstalled.

New forward controls mounted along with lower engine bolts.

Cleaned up shocks and 32 Ford tail light and license plate assembley installed.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Default Sterring bearing question

Hey guys I am having a problem installing the new timken tapered bearing in the lower position on the steering head post. I bought a new timken set that is sold as a replacement for my year of Ironhead and the bearings are two different sizes. One fits nicely down over the post but this is the larger bearing. I have been advised that the smaller bearing needs to be on the lower part of the steering post (bottom bearing). But it won't even slide down over the top part of the post. I put the triple tree in the freezer over night but that didn't help and I heated the bearing with a heat gun and that didn't work. I was using a pipe with the same diameter as the bearing sleeve to pound it onto the post but it would not slide onto the post. The top of the steering post does seem to be wider than the lower section almost mushroomed out a little. My question is can I bring the whole thing to a shop with a bearing press and have the bearing pressed on or should i try to get a larger bearing? Should the bearing be this tight and difficult to install? I had to clean up the post a little as there was some pitting and gunk on it so a used some sandpaper to make it all nice and even so that should have helped with the bearing sliding down the post. Anyone got any ideas what I should do next? Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by BayBones; 10-04-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

First check that you have the correct parts, as you my not. I did my 1978 a few years ago with no trouble. But there was a lot of incorrect info going around about what parts are needed.

I think that 1978 was the first year for 15/16, and that 1977 should be 7/8. I do not think there should be a smaller bearing but this does need to be checked.

There may be some useful info or links in my thread ...

Ironhead Front End Refurbish - Steering Head Bearings
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1593691

Old 10-06-2015, 04:06 PM
BayBones
Tourer

So I took the triple tree to a machine shop and found out that the stem is not tapered and the bearings I have are for a tapered stem. I had to order a new bearing and confirmed with JP cycle that their kit contains two different bearing sizes for the 52 to 77 sportster. 7/8 and 15/16. Not sure why but the stem on my bike is not what HD was supposed to be using. It's a mystery but I will have a new bearing in a few days, and can work on other parts till it comes in. Live and learn.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Cleaning some old greasy parts to prep for painting low tech style. This is the battery box.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:39 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Also installed the Bates Style ( what ever the hell bates is) amber signal lights. I like the amber lens because they look sort of old school, and they mount perfectly into the holes in the rear section of the upper frame where the old fender struts used to attach. Slowly coming together. I never get as much done ad I think I will but it is great fun and not my main driver so I can take my time😆

Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Originally Posted by IronMick
First check that you have the correct parts, as you my not. I did my 1978 a few years ago with no trouble. But there was a lot of incorrect info going around about what parts are needed.

I think that 1978 was the first year for 15/16, and that 1977 should be 7/8. I do not think there should be a smaller bearing but this does need to be checked.

There may be some useful info or links in my thread ...

Ironhead Front End Refurbish - Steering Head Bearings
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1593691
Thanks Mick you always provide great advice. The parts were correct for what was supposed to be an original steering stem but I guess it's not the original. New bearing ordered and should be here in a few days. Thanks for the advice Mick always appreciated.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i had a similar problem when i did my neck bearing. everything was messed up with the bearing sizes. I bought new neck cups, races, used the original shaft and ended up ordering bearings from capital bearing.

Quick Reply: 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build