Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

72 Ironhead oil pump breather and cam install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM
jrpitty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Ironhead oil pump breather and cam install

Ok I have a 72 ironhead and was reading about this oil pump breather and timing that as well as the installation and lining up of all of the cams. I have a manual but everyone here explains it a lot better than the manual. Just a question that I can't seem to understand. I lined up the hole with the timing mark for the oil breather gear and that's fine. Just that when I do so my pinion gear timing mark is around 1 o'clock. Do I need to take the pinion gear off and move it or drop the oil pump and move that so it lines up with 11 o'clock. Or I can just spin it to when it is at 11 o'clock and install the cams but then the oil pump breather hole is not in the correct spot. I've read all the other forums on this but it just does click in my head I guess thanks!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpitty
Ok I have a 72 ironhead and was reading about this oil pump breather and timing that as well as the installation and lining up of all of the cams. I have a manual but everyone here explains it a lot better than the manual. Just a question that I can't seem to understand. I lined up the hole with the timing mark for the oil breather gear and that's fine. Just that when I do so my pinion gear timing mark is around 1 o'clock. Do I need to take the pinion gear off and move it or drop the oil pump and move that so it lines up with 11 o'clock. Or I can just spin it to when it is at 11 o'clock and install the cams but then the oil pump breather hole is not in the correct spot. I've read all the other forums on this but it just does click in my head I guess thanks!
we install the oil pump Last - align all the cam gears to the pinion and hold the motor in place ( if the top end is off ) and than slide the oil pump up so the hole aligns ( gear correct mesh ) with the cams correct timing not the other way - the oil pump aligns with the cam timing not the cams to the oil pump -- johnjzjz