Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

New way to install an Ironheads Clutch Basket

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Inkydoggy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New way to install an Ironheads Clutch Basket

After I welded on my new ring gear on my 75 Sportster Ironhead today I was going to go borrow my buddy's tool to compress the clutch basket compression plate down to get it reinstalled. Then I thought hey I have an idea how to do it faster and easier then with the tool to do it.

I pulled out a ratchet strap then wrapped it around the top over the starter area & complete transmission area then under the frame and over the clutch basket pressure plate being careful not to get it over any of the stud holes in the plate and any other items that might get crushed by the strap like a muffler or cable etc.

Ratcheted the strap down & making sure while doing this all the studs went into their holes on the pressure plate. Voila! the strap completely compressed the pressure plate allowing me to install the hold down Nylock nuts then cranking them down tight and the install was done. Released the strap and the inside primary area work was done. Time to put the cover on this job and much faster then using the compression tool made for the job. Also anyone here owns a ratchet strap and can also do this too when they need to reinstall their clutch basket. Hope this is of some help to others who do not have the tool for it but they most likely have a ratchet strap laying around someplace or can get one very low in price someplace.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

getting lucky once is cool - but i have seen the threads pop on the primary with using the tool and the guy lost part of his finger - only a flesh wound not a i had worse

Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Inkydoggy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with the ratchet strap method you do not even go near the threads on the case so no worry's about cracking the case like others have done that I seen. My new way is safe as the strap does not slip out of place or come loose until you want it off. No getting lucky about it. I still have to cover off so maybe I will take a photo to load here so the people can see it in place to get a better idea of how it works. I should have made a video while doing the job.