Knuckle Head A place to talk about Knuckle Head motors.

Just checkin in

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Just checkin in

so I sold that last knuck on ebay for 11,300 to a fella in NY who is now in the process of re-building it. The next one I think I'd like to work on is a 1937EL. The last one I saw go for sale was in the neiborhood of 100,000 but it was mint. This one has a cracked tranny case, and it's stripped down to bare bones cause it was a hillclimber too.

My question to you fellers is this....thinks I should take my time and by aftermarket tin and dash? Or just sell as is in rough but original shape.

The frame and wheels are original, got the original tanks, but no suicide shift, forks not original either

Opinions?

Old 12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just checkin in

Come up with a great story about its hill climbing history, and all the events it won.
Try to find a picture of it somewhere, or of one similar to show it in action on a race.

Then put it on ebay and watch people clamor for it.

Everyone likes a good story. if you can document any of its history, go for it. Talk about early days of WWII, young men going off to war, blah blah blah

Patina is good for antique vehicles. Aftermarket is only good if you want to have it pretty for yourself.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
hdsneegas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy! Listen, the more original a vintage bike is the more it's worth. I surf ebay a lot and am totally blown away when I see some of these so called restored machines sell for the prices they get. The more aftermarket pieces are on your bike the less it's worth ( in my opinion). In fact original unretored bikes bring the most money. The reason say a 36 Knuckle Brings $70,000 is not necessarily because it's retored but because it has original Harley manufactured parts that are as rare as hens teeth and because of a low production number. If a 47 knuckle has an aftermarket speedometer on it lowers the price by$700-$1000. I have serched for many original parts that have kept my projects up on the stand for years because if it's not an original part then the bike is not an original bike. Ebay has been a God send with respect to finding parts but even this sourse will dry up eventually. To each his own as they say! but I recommend honesty and originality.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:07 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bike with true HD parts for that yr is the only way to go.Do your homework as best as possible.Anyone can slap on aftermarket parts and fool a novice buyer.Ebay included.Many vendors on Ebay sell there because of the turnout compared to AMA antique events.some single parts alone are worth several thousand dollars depending on yr of bike.These chapters have several events a yr across our nation,its worth seeing,talking to the old timers while theyre still around.