Knuckle Head A place to talk about Knuckle Head motors.

47 Knucklehead????

Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
NC47Knucle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47 Knucklehead????

Hey. I'm new to the forum from NC. I'm looking at buying a 1947 Knucklehead. It was my dad's old bike and was sold in '84 to one of his buddies right before I was born. It's torn down right now, but all the parts are there. I believe it's a 100ci stroker motor built back in the 80s. The motor is in the frame, but will come out when I get it. It's going back to the burnt orange color it was when my dad had it if everything works out with the deal. I mainly want to get it for centimental reasons, but to ride as well. I'm the only one he will sell this bike to becauseit was my dad's. With this said and the bike being torn apart, if he asks me for an offer, what would be a reasonable price to offer?

Thanks
Randall

Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM
NC47Knucle
6th Gear
Default RE: 47 Knucklehead????

I'm just not sure of what it's worth as it sits. I don't wannamake an offer that's way more than what he might initially take for it. I was told by a guy that I know that's been around the older Harleys for years, and he said to start at like $2500 and go from there. Does that sound reasonable?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM
NC47Knucle
6th Gear

Here is some more info on the bike. Nothing on this bike is original/stock. 100ci. stroker, hardtail frame, narrow glide front end, chrome spoked wheels. Not sure what type of tank or rear fender though. Not the original color. The motor is together and is sitting in the frame. Other than that, the rest is torn apart.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
47knuck
Novice

Orange?? Like mine!??? lol Robin

Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The motor is worth the most if built correctly.Cases arent cranked,been rewelded etc.The rest of the bike if various yrs,aftermarket parts arent worth much above swap meet prices.Of course a good clean title that doesnt have a number job done to cases is what you want.100 inch knuck is big even though the knuck cases are alittle beefier.A nice motor,good titlewill start at @8000$,you could add what you thik the rest is worth.Anything under this-you stole it.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
NC47Knucle
6th Gear

Yeah, pretty much the same color orange, same frame, no rake, smaller rear fender, no suspension seat,drag pipes, different tank but similar,and narrow glide front end. I'll see if I can't get a pic posted.

The title is clean. The guy that has it now, is the guy that bought it from my dad about 24 years ago. But the bike is in peices as it sits, which is how I want to get it anyway. Right now, it's painted neon yellow, so I'm gonna paint it back orange and build it back up from there. As far as I know, the bike hasn't been on the road in quite a few years.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering you will spend a lot rebuilding and the owner is a friend, don't make an offer, ask him what he wants for it. Prices on a basket case are very negotiable. A brand new engine is in the $4-6K price range and you don't know the condition of the knuck. It may require a complete rebuild to get it on the road. It's common here in Texas for the seller to give a price and the buyer to accept or not. Haggling is not the norm.

PS If you should decide not to get it PM me, I'll take it off his hands!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
NC47Knucle
6th Gear

I would man, but the bike isn't for sale to the general public. The current owner is planning on putting the bike back together. The only reason he is gonna sell it to me is because it was my dad's bike and they grew up together and rode together back in the day and are still good friends. He knows that I've always talked about buying it back and finally have the funds to do it. But here are some pics of it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ucklehead4.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ucklehead3.jpg

Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
longpig
Advanced

I would feel comfortable buying it for $5000.00 to $7000.00as that would be a great deal. IMO

Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

What you have is what most of us did in the late 60-70s.... a "real" chopper, not some OCC wannabe bike. As a basket and if it all there (sounds like it is) 7-8 is a good deal, less and you have a great buy. Added to that is the fact that it belonged to your pop....cost? Priceless!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 47 Knucklehead????