Knuckle Head A place to talk about Knuckle Head motors.

'47 title issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Codyyy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '47 title issue

I inherited a '47 Knucklehead from my father. When I put the title in my name, it is registered as a '75 bike. I have been trying to fight with the DMV, AAA, and the CHP here in San Diego because no one wants to change the year on the title, just verify the VIN, which that is correct. Has anyone ever dealt with this situation before?
I have set a date with the CHP so they can officially look at the bike to tell me it's a '47. I have printed two sources of info online that proves the VIN is where and what it should be, the various frame stampings are where and what they should be, and I have the original service manual as well as the book "How to Restore your Harley-Davidson".
I'm mainly asking what experiences people have had, and what to say to the right people to correct this issue to prepare myself for the worst. I have no idea why the title says what it does. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

It may say that because it had went without being registered for several years and then when it was re-registered they titled it for the year it was finally registered. I have a close friend in Barstow that was forced to register his Model A Ford as a 1992 because of this. Then that required him to have 2 tail lights, turn signals, and seat belts in a Model A.
I wish you luck in getting the proper registration. It would be a bitch to have to put turn signals etc on your Knuckle with it being the Classic that it is.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Take it DMV. Have your local H-D shop inspect and possibly give you a letter stating theat its the year it is. Sign an affidavid as to the year (DMV might have one) and you should be well on your way.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Cody, another reference is www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com The site is owned by Chris Haynes, a long time AMCA member. He has a section on vin numbers/case numbers. It is a free site and will shpw you what true 47 numbers look like. Just a bit more information to add to yours in order to show CHP/DMV folks that the bike is a 47.

How did it come to be registered as a 75 model?

I feel your pain on the registration. When I had my 36 Chevy I bought it out of state and had to have DMV inspect it. I had to show the CHP officer where the vin tag was located. Same thing with my 84 shovel..out of state, DMV inspection and the officer was looking in the normal place for shovel models; had to show him it had been moved to the left engine case for 84.

Just remember to be polite and professional. best of luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by panz4ever; 01-21-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Codyyy
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I have no idea how it came to be a '75 registration. One theory is that it was the year my father first registered the bike in his name. He bought the bike as a project basketcase in the late '60s I believe.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Codyyy
Thanks for the info. I have no idea how it came to be a '75 registration. One theory is that it was the year my father first registered the bike in his name. He bought the bike as a project basketcase in the late '60s I believe.
Having built a "special constructions" SPCNS in Calif. I would say that is what happened.
I refer to my earlier post about my friends Model A.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

is the title labeled? rebuilt,homebuilt,salvage,custom,ect.. i had a 72 flh once, the title said 77 homebuilt Harley-Davidson. it was a 72 model, but the frame was replaced to use a disc rear swingarm. it still used the 72 vin#, it was retitled as a 1977.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Codyyy
Intermediate

The title is clean, it doesn't say rebuilt or anything on it.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
RicD13
Advanced

Do you kow anyone in an easy regestrtion state. Most of then will regester with a tracing of the serial #. Register it there them transfer it to Calif. and gert a title. You are better off asking this question to Cali people of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RicD13; 01-24-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Log onto the Antique MotorCycle Association forum and ask your question there. Lots of California members.

Of course, if you ship it to me, I can get it registered as a 47, ride it around for a few months, just to ensure its safe, then you can come here and ride it back to california.

seriously though, I have had to only sign an affidavit swearing to the year and the MDV went ahead with the registration.

Last edited by NiteOwl; 01-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: '47 title issue