Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenski

No doubt if it's coming from a bad stem seal, it could be due to a screw up on assembly of the head. Provided a guide isnt shot/oversize. If I'm not mistaken they dont get much oil up top so there isnt much to control in the first place. Its not like an OHC motor that has oil bathing the top end. Be curious to know whats found after taking the head apart.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

hope it all gets worked out. That definitely sucks!

Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 AM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Man you have some time on your hands lol
Hey...what can I say...it's winter.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenski
I thought the spark plugs were in the center ?http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...air-oil-cooled

Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 PM
TimmyV
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

after reading all 40 pages of M8 problems, here's one I am experiencing on my 2017 FLHTKL purchased new in August of 2016. 6500 miles later, the secondary hydraulic clutch actuator stated making a "kazoo-like" sound with motor at operating temps but then shut off. Problem is occurring intermittently so naturally when at dealer it does not make this noise. Captured it on video with my cell phone & glad I did. Dealer could not replicate problem however after a call to HD they were told to replace actuator & clutch rod. Hopefully this solves problem. I'll let everyone know .

I am aware of the recalls for issues with 2016 hydraulic clutch and the fact that HD redesigned all of the parts for 2017 so that's why I posted this here. If it is incorrect location, ad-mins please delete or move.

Here is video :http://vid442.photobucket.com/albums...psyywly1m5.mp4

The following users liked this post:
bubbawisconsin (03-03-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyV
after reading all 40 pages of M8 problems, here's one I am experiencing on my 2017 FLHTKL purchased new in August of 2016. 6500 miles later, the secondary hydraulic clutch actuator stated making a "kazoo-like" sound with motor at operating temps but then shut off. Problem is occurring intermittently so naturally when at dealer it does not make this noise. Captured it on video with my cell phone & glad I did. Dealer could not replicate problem however after a call to HD they were told to replace actuator & clutch rod. Hopefully this solves problem. I'll let everyone know .

I am aware of the recalls for issues with 2016 hydraulic clutch and the fact that HD redesigned all of the parts for 2017 so that's why I posted this here. If it is incorrect location, ad-mins please delete or move.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how a clutch could sound like a kazoo until I saw your video That is absolutely the weirdest thing I have seen in a while. Just have your HD dealer look at the video now and tell them that you didn't buy a musical instrument

Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Not sure about what type of exotic bird you got there but that is the coolest idle on a late model Harley I ever heard.
That's got to be fake news?....

Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyV

Thanks for the post and video. That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard....

Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Not sure about what type of exotic bird you got there but that is the coolest idle on a late model Harley I ever heard.
That's got to be fake news?....
Does that mean it's not as bad a very fake news. Dude I hope they fix your problem. If a picture is worth a thousand words than your video must be priceless.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:34 PM
TimmyV
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Update : I picked my motorcycle up from the dealer Thursday & managed to put about 150 miles on it before old man winter decided to show it's ugly head in my area once again. Secondary hydraulic actuator & rod was replaced under warranty & everything is back to sounding & performing as it should. Have all documentation from dealer detailing what work was done & why. Hopefully that will be the last of this problem. Have my ear out all over the country & have not heard or read of anyone else experiencing this issue... maybe I just got a bad actuator, I dunno.

The following users liked this post:
G'day (04-20-2017)

Quick Reply: M8 problems