Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Old 09-01-2016, 08:34 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Thats got to be one of the best colors Harley's come up with.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (08-27-2020)
Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

There are already several threads about bikes that needed their engines replaced at delivery, or shortly thereafter. Oil leaks, low oil pressure, smoking exhaust. Buyer beware.

​Smoke around 1 minute.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

Assembly lube maybe.

M Oclaf (08-27-2020)
Old 09-15-2016, 06:26 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
There are already several threads about bikes that needed their engines replaced at delivery, or shortly thereafter. Oil leaks, low oil pressure, smoking exhaust. Buyer beware.
Several threads about engines needing replaced? Seriously? Where are all of these threads about engines being replaced? I've seen one to date

Old 09-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Spurrs
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I read somewhere the sky if falling, too!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Several threads about engines needing replaced? Seriously? Where are all of these threads about engines being replaced? I've seen one to date
I know of one; I think it's titled "It doesn't look good for my SG". The dealer is R&Ring his engine with a new one. User LP down in South Carolina has a friend that had his 2017 M8 engine replaced but he didn't say why.

I'll wait and see before I become more critical than I am of this "new" engine. There seems to be a few issues with oil pumps (could be crank run out related) and maybe some leaky piston rings and/or valve guide seals as well. In any event, that's more trouble than I'm willing to spend money to have. Understandably, the owners of 2017 machines are defensive about their decision to buy and don't want to think there could be serious issues with their new machine or that they bought trouble Harley should have sorted out. Another issue I think will eventually come to call is the "adjusted for life" intake and exhaust valves working off the same rocker arm. With a little wear, it's quite possible the exhaust valve clearances can differ between the two and that could result in a burnt exhaust valve seat for one of them. I for one don't feel it's "admirable" for a company to R&R a defective engine they should have done their engineering due diligence on. It isn't like they don't have experience with redesigns gone wrong.

For the sake of everyone who decided to buy first model year Harleys I hope it all works out for you. I hate to see anybody sink that kind of money in something that's problematic. I can tell you this; ANY vehicle I bought that needed an engine replaced in the first thousand miles would be returned for a full refund and the deal would be undone. That's not "what I'd like to see happen", that's what would happen.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-15-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Even if I was interested in buying a new Knot Head, I think I'd wait for a while. I don't think Harley has ever come out with a new engine that didn't need some tweaking.

M Oclaf (08-27-2020)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
My problem is....I don't have one yet
My thought track ............ Otoh, after having had two of the first run Twin Cams grenade under me while on vacation, I will never again purchase a first m y anything from the mo co. I am on the road 6 to 8 weeks out of the year and I do not need the issues .............

Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I know of one; I think it's titled "It doesn't look good for my SG". The dealer is R&Ring his engine with a new one. User LP down in South Carolina has a friend that had his 2017 M8 engine replaced but he didn't say why.

I'll wait and see before I become more critical than I am of this "new" engine. There seems to be a few issues with oil pumps (could be crank run out related) and maybe some leaky piston rings and/or valve guide seals as well. In any event, that's more trouble than I'm willing to spend money to have. Understandably, the owners of 2017 machines are defensive about their decision to buy and don't want to think there could be serious issues with their new machine or that they bought trouble Harley should have sorted out. Another issue I think will eventually come to call is the "adjusted for life" intake and exhaust valves working off the same rocker arm. With a little wear, it's quite possible the exhaust valve clearances can differ between the two and that could result in a burnt exhaust valve seat for one of them. I for one don't feel it's "admirable" for a company to R&R a defective engine they should have done their engineering due diligence on. It isn't like they don't have experience with redesigns gone wrong.

For the sake of everyone who decided to buy first model year Harleys I hope it all works out for you. I hate to see anybody sink that kind of money in something that's problematic. I can tell you this; ANY vehicle I bought that needed an engine replaced in the first thousand miles would be returned for a full refund and the deal would be undone. That's not "what I'd like to see happen", that's what would happen.
Could you please explain to one of the people that does have to have a engine replaced under 1000 miles..300 to be exact, How do you just have your deal UNDONE? Do you think they are just going to right you a check and say have a great day? Come on man.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ashnic:
M Oclaf (08-27-2020), SirWraithe (09-26-2016), Toolmaster (07-22-2018)
Old 09-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,625 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
My thought track ............ Otoh, after having had two of the first run Twin Cams grenade under me while on vacation, I will never again purchase a first m y anything from the mo co. I am on the road 6 to 8 weeks out of the year and I do not need the issues .............
Yeah my initial enthusiasm has cooled somewhat after reading a few threads like these. Think I'll wait for the smoke to clear (pun intended) before buying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M8 problems