Sponsored by:

Oil leak on my 2017 Street Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wlloyd72
They replaced the hose, clamps and o-rings. No leaks or other issues now. All the parts were sent back to HD to investigate. Just glad to have the bike back and ride again!

I installed a Daymaker Projector LED Headlamp last night and then went for a ride after dark. Wow, what a difference that made. I got it on Ebay for $79.
I found a bunch of supposed Daymaker headlights on ebay. Which one did you buy ? What brand name, manufactuer or any thing elsr that would put me in the right direction.
Thanks Jonnierock

Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
No issues here with 1200 miles on mine.

I find it interesting that HD instructed the OP's dealer to look for metal fragments in the oil cooler system. That means they're aware of a problem and it's on their radar. Unfortunately that's not something they can issue a recall for and will have to be fixed on a case by case basis.
In the earliest batch of M8s released, there was a problem with oil pressure. HD discovered a vendor didn't clean the cam plates correctly and it left metal fragments from the manufacturing process in the oil galleries. I've read of a couple cam plate/oil pump replacements and a couple engine replacements to fix these problems...

It's a problem that popped up early, and the MoCo worked quickly to identify and correct the problems I read about. They know about this issue of course, but I haven't read of one of those failures for awhile...

Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,311 Likes on 1,336 Posts

When my M8 was leaking and showing oil like your photos it was from a bad OCV on the front left of the engine. The replaced that part, the clamps, and hose, connecting to the oil cooler.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 AM
kirbyknows
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your oil leak - I hope that gets squared away soon. On a side note... How do you like that stage 1 setup? I am buying my first Harley next week (2017 SGS) and was thinking about going with those exact same modifications. How does it run, more importantly, how does it sound???

Old 05-23-2017, 01:24 AM
JWSRG
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 Road Glide leaking oil at 1100 miles

Bought my first Harley two months ago. I can not be happier than when on that bike. This evening I took it for a ride and when I stopped at a light I could smell burning oil. When I got home I looked under the bike there's oil everywhere. The bikes got 1100 miles on it. Two weeks ago I picked it up from the shop after having bars a stage 4 screaming eagle kit street cannons intake and street tuner tuning installed. Looks to me like it's leaking from the bottom of the cylinder. I sure hope this isn't the beginning of my HD nightmare. Gonna call the shop that did the work tomorrow and hopefully they get it taken care of and clean the the oil off the bike.

Last edited by JWSRG; 05-23-2017 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 05-23-2017, 07:11 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by wlloyd72
They replaced the hose, clamps and o-rings. No leaks or other issues now. All the parts were sent back to HD to investigate. Just glad to have the bike back and ride again!

I installed a Daymaker Projector LED Headlamp last night and then went for a ride after dark. Wow, what a difference that made. I got it on Ebay for $79.
Happy to hear you're back in the saddle again and the problem was fixed. Let us know when they get back to you with what the problem was.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottG
Have only had 2017 Street Glide since Oct. 2016. First time oil leak was at 900 miles nov.2016. Harley says they had to find a mechanic that knows how to work on new motors?? Then they said it was all fixed now bike has only around 1200 miles and go figure oil is leaking again. Anyone else having this same problem? Coming from front cylynder leaking on to exhaust. Last time had to have orings done now leaking again
Scott, my wife's SGS had a similar problem. Took it into my dealer and they found that a sensor gasket was pinched from factory. I can't recall what the sensor was for, but it is located on the right front cylinder behind the rear brake master cylinder. Photo is not the best but it will allow you to pinpoint where the sensor is, then you can feel it to see if it is oily. Take a look at the photo below, this may be where your problem is coming from. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak on my 2017 Street Glide Special-sensor-leak.jpg  
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 AM
dino4130
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too just bought my first HD - leftover 2017 Street Glide Special and it immediately started weeping oil from the air cleaner onto the left exhaust pipe. I informed the dealership and they instructed me to bring the bike in for it's first service since by the time I noticed the issue it had 850 miles on it. It's almost two weeks later and I still don't have it back, but HD believes they've isolated the issue to a bad oil pump that is making too much pressure. I've owned 4 Kawis and 1 Yamaha over my riding career without a single issue of any kind. Now, I love riding the bike, but am concerned that I've already had an issue. Let me also say that the owner and staff at Shelton's Harley Davidson in Smithfield, NC have been fantastic. After two days of the bike sitting in their service department, while HD had them run a battery of tests on it, Shelton himself gave me a loaner bike to ride while they worked with Milwaukee on finding a solution. I couldn't be happier with them for how they've taken care of me.

That having been said, I'm not at all happy with this situation in general. Below is a pic of my bike as of yesterday.

I'm unhappy that it had to be torn down this far to "hopefully" fix the problem. I have every faith in Shelton and his staff, but I bought a factory built motorcycle and will be getting back, in essence, a garage built motorcycle. I plan to contact Milwaukee myself regarding this, but I'm not sure that they'll do anything for me. Honestly, I'm not sure I want this thing back, but I'm sure it's unreasonable to expect them to replace it.

I'll keep everyone posted, but really? I bit the bullet and spent the money for the number one selling bike in America and this is where it's gotten me in less than 2 months.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:35 AM
dino4130
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry it took so long to bring this to a close, but HD finally isolated the issue and it appears to be fixed. I'm not a mechanic so I'll do my best to describe the solution... HD gave the local dealership (Shelton's in Smithfield NC, the best motorcycle dealer I've ever dealt with), different remedies for the issue with no results so they finally sent a factory tech down from Milwaukee. Here's what he told me they did and why - apparently this has been a minor issue (occurs in approx 1 in 2000 engines) with the HD big bore engines since the twin cam 88 days. First, it's part of the design of these motors that some oil will enter the air box through the blow off valves to be burned by the engine. This is normal, however in some engines, it can be excessive, like with mine. Here's what he says causes it - compression of the pistons in some engines creates excessive turbulence in the crankcase which will not allow oil to properly drain back down from the top of the engine and it has no choice but to come out the blow off valves and into the air box where it will sometimes pool and then run out onto the side of the bike. The fix was to install a newly designed backing plate on the oil pump. This backing plate has a seal pressed on it that apparently (this is where it gets foggy for me) extends to the end of the cam shaft which I guess isolates the cam box from the crankcase, and neutralizes the effects of the turbulence. Again, not a mechanic, so I'm sure I'm not describing it perfectly, but whatever it does to the engine, I've put 1000 hard miles on it since then, with not a drop of oil showing up on the side of the bike. He also explained to me that part of why it took three tries to get it fixed was that they also had an issue with the first run of oil pumps on the M8 that could also create the same problem. Replacing my oil pump was the first solution they tried...

So in the end I'm satisfied with their solution. HD is going to pay for my 5000 mile service and replace the heat shield on my exhaust that was damaged by the leakage.

The following users liked this post:
lp (09-08-2018)