Sponsored by:

2017 Road Glide using oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:30 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra1
Know what you think but the new engine does not vent to the air cleaner but to the transmission. Oh well everyone will learn about the new engine over time I guess
NO it does not vent to the tranny. That is straight up retarted. I've riden and inspected 5 M8's and they all do the same old ****, back to the AF back plate. Why would you but blow to the tranny? A American idiot over educated college boy maybe? Thanks the fruits and nuts from cali for recirc blow by. Ever heard of a catch can? Tranny vent,,,, OMG

The following 2 users liked this post by psyshack:
Campy Roadie (10-22-2016), saafrican (03-30-2017)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra1
Know what you think but the new engine does not vent to the air cleaner but to the transmission. Oh well everyone will learn about the new engine over time I guess

I said you were wrong and like most people who are wrong, you think you aren't. You read something in a magazine article written by someone else that was wrong and posted it as a fact.

Here's a picture of a 2017 M8 showing the engine vents where they enter the intake; just as I said it did.

Name:  Breathers%20on%20tiny%2017%20filter_zpsvpp7utl5.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  Stock%20M8%20Air%20Filter_zpsxvibkijz.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  134.6 KB

Here's a thread by one of own giving further details:

You're new to Harleys and some of us here try to be helpful to newbies but sometimes they make it d*mn difficult. A 2017 M8 ENGINE IS NOT VENTED TO THE TRANSMISSION. IT IS VENTED TO THE INTAKE AS THEY HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST 17 YEARS.

That's all I got; welcome to the forums.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-23-2016 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
saafrican (03-30-2017)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

As I said OP, nothing to worry about. The "missing" oil is in the air box.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

http://www.thunderpress.net/top-stor...2016/09/23.htm

the engine does vent to the transmission..when you finish Part 1 click on Part 2..to paraphrase:

Yes, even though crankcase breathing is routed to a transmission sump cavity, some air and oil will manage to make it into the heads. So, there’s this new one-piece breather valve located in each head. It’s more efficient than earlier designs and has a lot less to deal with in the first place. Call it cheap insurance.

The new-for-2017 interface between engine and transmission cases uses a new metal-backed gasket with beaded surfaces to seal internal passages between oil tank and engine. Makes sense, when you consider the engine now breathes into this area.

PirateRider (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:53 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Spam much?

4 posts and in each one directing people to that poorly written article. Hmmmmm

Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

just two posts after rejoining today, I actually registered in 2008, just rejoined when I bought my M8...and the information and diagram/photos are worth exactly what you paid for it, take it or leave it, I don't care... as a "future owner" of a new M8 you have more credibility than them I guess.....don't like the way the article was written, well guess the pics of the engine components are poorly represented as well... tried to share some new information here...anyway, back to my point as a "current owner" of an M8....had many Harleys with various stages..after 3K miles my air filter is no longer an oil filter for the first time...

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-14-2016 at 06:49 PM.
PirateRider (11-14-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:40 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I am waiting on parts to arrive for the hoses to the oil cooler. I have a very small drip at the compression coupling. it was only a pin drops worth of oil. I noticed it because I parked over a white cardboard in my garage. its on the low side of the bike at the oil cooler (front left side sitting on the bike). The tech mentioned to me that some of those couplers are failing. its easy to test, just rub your hands on the hose to see if its leaking.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 PM
MajorJim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My M8 is in the shop now getting the vent tubes replaced. The tubes do not fit tight enough on the fittings and get blown or vibrate off. When that happens I get oil on the cam cover and my exhaust. The Techs from Harley said the tubes should fit tight with an forceable slid on.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorJim
My M8 is in the shop now getting the vent tubes replaced. The tubes do not fit tight enough on the fittings and get blown or vibrate off. When that happens I get oil on the cam cover and my exhaust. The Techs from Harley said the tubes should fit tight with an forceable slid on.
I too was getting an oil mist on my exhaust immediately below the air cleaner. I removed the football to check out the air cleaner and I found one of 3 small bolts which secure the air cleaner to the back plate was stripped out. Because it was no longer tight, the rubber gasket on the air cleaner was allowing a very small amount of oil to drip down to the exhaust. I suspected that one of the rubber breather hoses that direct oil mist into the injector body had fallen off or was somehow leaking. I found that not to be the case in my situation.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

from full to add a quart is an operating range. You are fine as long as its above the add a quart line. I try never to run mine at full. I try to stay around that 3/4 full range. I figure I am leaving some space in there for expansion of the oil after running it. in the old days you would see oil in the air filter if you ran full. the oil would expand and have no place to go. I do not know if this is really an issue now, but old habits are hard to break.

Quick Reply: 2017 Road Glide using oil