Sponsored by:

Octane rating opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:51 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Here in NE Ohio 90% of the gas stations carry 89 and 93 octane gas (please don't get me started on the 10% ethanol bullshit). There's a considerable cost difference between them normally. Of course my new RK specifies 91! I've used both and not noticed any difference, no knocking or pinging. Do you guys see any reason to pay the extra money for the 93? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal for one gallon, but over the course of a riding season .30-.40 cents per gallon adds up and I don't like paying for something I don't need. Input please? Thanks!
====================

Well your located in Ohio thats been cool to cold for some time now so your M8 motor isnt running near a hot at it normally does in warmer summer cond which is likely why your getting away with lower octane fuel not detonating.

Another reason you can get away with lower oct fuel is the motor is new not having a chance to build up excessive carbon in combustion chambers yet which can increase compression & also cause localized portions of carbon buildup to get over heated/cherry red both of which can lead to detonation too.

So with low miles with little carbon buildup & cooler temps @ this time your M8 motor happens to be doing ok on lower 89 oct fuel,but after you put approx 6,8,10k miles on it alsong with also riding in significantly warmer 78-80+ deg heat and it will likely be a diff story requiring a min of 91 or maybe even 93 octane fuel to not detonate esp if you ride 2up w-bike loaded in moutains.

BTW,run a full tank of fuel treated with chevron Techron (concentrated version) 2 dose rate of 1.5oz per gal fuel (9.0oz's per 6 gals) thru the motor in a tank of fuel just before you do each oil & filter change.

Doing that will help keep carbon buildup in comb chambers to a minimum also with keeping the motor running nice & smooth too due to keeping the injectors nice & clean too which is a good thing to do.

I do the techron clean to my HD which helps keep it running nice & smooth with crisp throttle response,max fuel mileage & along with also helping to keep it from detonating on HD's rec 91 oct fuel for the 9.2 compression it's got too,even in summer heat riding 2up w-bike loaded.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-16-2016 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Michaelpost (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,936 Likes on 2,344 Posts

I run the best gas I can get. Most all the time its 93 no ethanol which is readily available in my area, and cost the same as the crap with ethanol.

As others have said octane does not really make more power. It does help prevent knocking or pinging, which is very destructive for a motor. The hotel the outside temperature the more likely a motor is to ping or knock. The hard you twist the throttle the more likely a motor is to ping or knock. If the motor does have a knock sensor, and it senses knock it will pull some timing out, reducing the performance of the motor.

I do not want to chance one of my bikes pining or knocking. I spend a lot of money on my motorcycles, sure not going to save a little money and risk it.

80% of the time when I am filling my bike I am also filling my wife's bike. We average 25K miles a year. So if you figure you save 30 cents a gallon by using the lower grade, it would save 180 a year per bike. Defiantly not worth it. If you ride less than 25K a year then you would save less.

Just my .02

Old 12-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I realize that higher octane doesn't mean more power, but I also wonder if 2 points of grade means a damn thing. You make a good point about the actual cost though. Maybe I'm a little too frugal sometimes lol.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:37 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Why do people debate this? Just put premium in it like the owners manual states. Even if the difference between mid and premium is $0.50 a gallon, that's only $3 on a dry fill. Are you really that much of a cheapskate???

Deuuuce (02-03-2017)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Octane raises the flash point of gas, so it will not pre-detonate. Higher octane fuel has less power than lower octane. (To answer the inevitable question of "so why do race cars use really high octane fuel", 'cause they run really compression engines, and need it to prevent pre-detonation).

Run the lowest octane you can, without engine knock. Remember though, you may not hear knocking/pinging, but still maybe getting it. Also as other poster mentioned, knock sensors will retard timing, and reduce power in the proces.

My opinion, run the 93. The loss of power from the higher octane is minimal, as is the cost. Knocking can cost a lot in the end.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:55 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I read where in gas stations that only use 1 hose for all 3 grades of gas, if the person before you used regular, and you chose premium, you would wind up with about a gallon of regular before the premium would hit the tank. So if you only needed 2 gallons to fill the tank, you'd be lucky to wind up with mid grade in that purchase, instead of premium.

Seems like almost every station only has 1 hose for all 3 grades of gas.

Recan (02-13-2017)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Why do people debate this? Just put premium in it like the owners manual states. Even if the difference between mid and premium is $0.50 a gallon, that's only $3 on a dry fill. Are you really that much of a cheapskate???
You really don't get it do you? Manual doesn't call for 93, it calls for 91. Which is pretty damn close to 89! And it's not an extra $3 a tank, it's an extra $3 a tank over and over and over and over and over. This bike isn't going anywhere. I'm retired and yeah an extra $6 or $9 bucks a day or more matters to me, especially if it turns out I'm flushing it down the *******. See why we debate it ?

GARY DYER (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Octane raises the flash point of gas, so it will not pre-detonate. Higher octane fuel has less power than lower octane. (To answer the inevitable question of "so why do race cars use really high octane fuel", 'cause they run really compression engines, and need it to prevent pre-detonation).

Run the lowest octane you can, without engine knock. Remember though, you may not hear knocking/pinging, but still maybe getting it. Also as other poster mentioned, knock sensors will retard timing, and reduce power in the proces.

My opinion, run the 93. The loss of power from the higher octane is minimal, as is the cost. Knocking can cost a lot in the end.
No it doesn't! And this was covered in another thread.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
You really don't get it do you? Manual doesn't call for 93, it calls for 91. Which is pretty damn close to 89! And it's not an extra $3 a tank, it's an extra $3 a tank over and over and over and over and over. This bike isn't going anywhere. I'm retired and yeah an extra $6 or $9 bucks a day or more matters to me, especially if it turns out I'm flushing it down the *******. See why we debate it ?
you're right, it calls for 91, not 89..going out on a limb here and guessing the engineers that developed, designed and tested the engines didn't come up with that rating arbitrarily and had a valid reason because they actually know what they are talking about..go ahead an run 89..you'll be the exception not the rule and you can be a beta tester for us all

Old 12-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjwebb
you're right, it calls for 91, not 89..going out on a limb here and guessing the engineers that developed, designed and tested the engines didn't come up with that rating arbitrarily and had a valid reason because they actually know what they are talking about..go ahead an run 89..you'll be the exception not the rule and you can be a beta tester for us all
You make a good point, I get it. Maybe not a great idea on a new engine. You guys here are the Harley experts, not me- it's my first one. That's why I'm asking for opinions. I'm going to say that I'm undecided right now but there's about 4 months of winter left in this frigid hell for a choice to be made. Maybe Ohio is the only state that has 87/89/93? Maybe it makes more sense to just carry some octane booster. Maybe I'll take the advice and run 93.

Quick Reply: Octane rating opinions?