Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane rating opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

The only reason to increase your octane is to eliminate knocking. High octane does NOT increase power, run cleaner, or anything else. So if 89 doesn't cause knocks go ahead and use it.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,605 Likes on 4,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
You make a good point, I get it. Maybe not a great idea on a new engine. You guys here are the Harley experts, not me- it's my first one. That's why I'm asking for opinions. I'm going to say that I'm undecided right now but there's about 4 months of winter left in this frigid hell for a choice to be made. Maybe Ohio is the only state that has 87/89/93? Maybe it makes more sense to just carry some octane booster. Maybe I'll take the advice and run 93.
91 being the minimum octane rating recommended, it also says in the manual that if you experience any problems to try a higher octane rating..so I'd personally rather err in higher than lower minimum rating...that does suck tho that you don't get 91..don't screw with the hassle of carrying octane booster and just run premium..have one less pizza out night a month and put it in a Harley fun piggybank!

Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I run the best gas I can get. Most all the time its 93 no ethanol which is readily available in my area, and cost the same as the crap with ethanol
I would check on that, to my knowledge the highest grade of conventional gasoline produced as of the beginning of 2016 is 90.5 and is sold as rec gas. I have a buddy who hauls gas for a living and told me about this almost exactly a year ago. I remember reading an article in The Oil Express put out by OPIS confirming what he told me. Every station I used to buy 93 ethanol free from has switched their pumps to show 90.

Last edited by Gadgetech; 12-18-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:51 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,605 Likes on 4,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I would check on that, to my knowledge the highest grade of gasoline produced as of the beginning of 2016 is 90.5 and is sold as rec gas. I have a buddy who hauls gas for a living and told me about this almost exactly a year ago. I remember reading an article in The Oil Express put out by OPIS confirming what he told me. Every station I used to buy 93 ethanol free from has switched their pumps to show 90.
we're mostly still 92 here in Oregon

Old 12-18-2016, 05:51 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,669 Likes on 5,196 Posts

No madder how much you explain it many will still never figure it out. 91 or 93 89 it is not about better. It is about the point at witch a fuel ignites . If you put 93 in an engine designed for 87 it is not as good if you put 89 in one designed for 91 same result.
Your HD needs 91 if you can not get it 93 . It is not because one fuel is better or worst.
It is about compression and fuel igniting.
Run 91 in all my Hd's I prefer non ethanol due o mileage but 10% works just fine never any knock issue.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
You really don't get it do you? Manual doesn't call for 93, it calls for 91. Which is pretty damn close to 89! And it's not an extra $3 a tank, it's an extra $3 a tank over and over and over and over and over. This bike isn't going anywhere. I'm retired and yeah an extra $6 or $9 bucks a day or more matters to me, especially if it turns out I'm flushing it down the *******. See why we debate it ?
So many things wrong with your post. I never said the manual calls for 93, I said it calls for premium. 91 octane is premium. Get it?

You said "I'm retired and yeah an extra $6 or $9 bucks a day or more matters to me".... You just contradicted your main point. If you're retired and need to pinch pennies to the extent that you're wanting to use mid-grade gas, what the hell are you doing riding the bike enough to have to fill it up every day, or more?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:05 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

My manual specifically calls for 91 octane. "Premium" isn't mentioned anywhere. But that's meaningless, just pointing it out.
As for my riding habits, the great part of not having to work everyday is being able to jump on the bike and ride ALL DAY. Even multiple days! If I wanted to just cruise around town for a couple of hours I've got another bike for that.
Maybe I made it sound to you like I'm too poor to ride, that's not the case. I wanted opinions from forum members about what works and what doesn't, and I've got some good input. Yours, not so much.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
we're mostly still 92 here in Oregon
Other areas may be different from the SouthEast. We still have 93 but it has ethanol in it. A call to the petroleum supplier will confirm the highest grade of conventional gas (non-ethanol) available in your area.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:38 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Not to hijack but our highest R+M/2 octane gas is 91 and contains no ethanol. I'm wondering if dropping the ethanol from higher octane grades of gas is a general thing or just a regional one ?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Where I'm at they just add 10% across the board. It's probably regional because it's a winter thing. Or actually a Government program. I don't want corn alcohol in my gas!!!! Lol.

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (12-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Octane rating opinions?