Sponsored by:

Octane rating opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Octane rating opinions?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Here in NE Ohio 90% of the gas stations carry 89 and 93 octane gas (please don't get me started on the 10% ethanol bullshit). There's a considerable cost difference between them normally. Of course my new RK specifies 91! I've used both and not noticed any difference, no knocking or pinging. Do you guys see any reason to pay the extra money for the 93? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal for one gallon, but over the course of a riding season .30-.40 cents per gallon adds up and I don't like paying for something I don't need. Input please? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Here in NE Ohio 90% of the gas stations carry 89 and 93 octane gas (please don't get me started on the 10% ethanol bullshit). There's a considerable cost difference between them normally. Of course my new RK specifies 91! I've used both and not noticed any difference, no knocking or pinging. Do you guys see any reason to pay the extra money for the 93? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal for one gallon, but over the course of a riding season .30-.40 cents per gallon adds up and I don't like paying for something I don't need. Input please? Thanks!
I'd always choose to go 2 points over than 2 points under requirement all day every day..gotta' pay to play and I believe it's better for your engine and stick with Top Tier. that being said, I went fishing with the owner of a Chevron station once and he said their fuel is rated conservative, specifically that when tested it always rated higher than the pump octane rating..no reason to believe he was FOS..nonetheless I always use Premium because I'm OCD and unconcerned about the cost

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-16-2016 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (12-24-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I always use the best I can get and mine still knocks. I also try to go to Orville and get ethanol free gas when I can.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:18 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Mix it 50%/50%, and you'll have 91.

Gawd...I wish I could get 93.

This has been discussed sooooo many times, here's my summary.

- Octane resists detonation. It does not generate more power. If your engine is higher compression, it could pre-detonate lower octane gas.
- Harleys have detonation protection. So, if the ECU detects pre-detonation, it will retard the timing to reduce pre-detonation. The side effect is somewhat reduced power.

BTW...FWIW...my TG with 255 Cams seems to like Shell the best.

The following 2 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
Birdog (11-13-2019), eichacsj (12-28-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:18 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

You're gonna bring out the Octane police any minute. I run what ever is highest octane.
But I will add this:

The following 2 users liked this post by QC:
Dick1964 (02-26-2017), saafrican (02-26-2017)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:56 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I've ran 89 in all my Harleys (stock) going back to 1988 Low Rider up to my 2014 TG. Not one problem yet. Even ran 89 in both my Vettes - except on race day.

If your manual says "recommends" you can safely use 89 - if your manual says "requires" then you have to use premium. I have half a dozen newspaper auto column reports and numerous auto/bike magazine articles that agree.

If you run other then stock you may need premium or if your bike pings on 89 or 91.

But it's your bike - do what YOU feel comfortable with and never mind what others tell you to do.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 02-28-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I'd always choose to go 2 points over than 2 points under requirement all day every day..gotta' pay to play and I believe it's better for your engine and stick with Top Tier. that being said, I went fishing with the owner of a Chevron station once and he said their fuel is rated conservative, specifically that when tested it always rated higher than the pump octane rating..no reason to believe he was FOS
Thanks for a useful reply!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 12:32 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,085 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
Cant say for certain but the M8 might come with knock sensors and retard the timing if it sees detonation ( cant see why it wouldn't) . If that's the case, you may not really "see"any difference other than less power but only under big load. If it doesn't have knock sensors and your still not hearing it beat itself up on lower octane, the new combustion chamber afforded by the 4VPC layout and dual plugs may tolerate it fine through nice controlled burn. I'd stick with min 91 if you can regardless. Just my opinion.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Cant say for certain but the M8 might come with knock sensors and retard the timing if it sees detonation ( cant see why it wouldn't) . If that's the case, you may not really "see"any difference other than less power but only under big load. If it doesn't have knock sensors and your still not hearing it beat itself up on lower octane, the new combustion chamber afforded by the 4VPC layout and dual plugs may tolerate it fine through nice controlled burn. I'd stick with min 91 if you can regardless. Just my opinion.
Good post, thanks! I'm sure it has knock sensors.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, I think that as long as everything is stock 89 is fine. Probably while on the road 91 will be an option, just not locally to me. Traveling yo take what you can get.

Quick Reply: Octane rating opinions?