Sponsored by:

Which One RK/SG

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I do a lot of Touring and no longer care to have a fairing/stereo. Road King is a better ride for Touring. Fork Rake isn't as tucked in, bigger tires and wheels, more rear suspension travel, not to mention at least $5000 less. I'm surprised they even categorize the SG and RG's as Touring bikes to be honest. now a RG Ultra is a different story
Read your post and thought to myself, I have never road a bike of any kind and listened to music. Not once. I remember when the walkmans came out and everybody I know fitted there helments with those headphones and jammed to there tunes. At 55 years old, I wonder if I would like some tunes even if there bad tunes.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 PM
bbrooks1963
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd go the Street Glide route. I've had a radio on my last four bikes and I couldn't give up having tunes on a longer ride. You're probably going to swap out the seat and backrest, but the SG make a great touring bike for a long weekend trip. IMHO...

Old 12-27-2016, 10:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Read your post and thought to myself, I have never road a bike of any kind and listened to music. Not once. I remember when the walkmans came out and everybody I know fitted there helments with those headphones and jammed to there tunes. At 55 years old, I wonder if I would like some tunes even if there bad tunes.
that's interesting..I'm 55 and I used to love having tunes on my Electric Glide for years, but slowly found myself listening less and less to the point I eventually decided I'd rather just listen to my engine and take in all the other experiences of riding and I've never looked back

Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Get the Road King and add the following to it:

Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Coolflow Fan
Quick Detach Sissy Bar with quick detach rack that fits behind it
Chrome Front End Kit
Chrome Slicer Wheels

The first two items are peace of mind for longevity and passenger comfort.
The third items add passenger comfort as well as ease of carrying additional luggage.
The last two chrome pieces are just a preference but would look great with that paint scheme.

Get the first 1,000 mile service thrown into the deal and inquire about the cost of a maintenance plan. Maintenance plan is usually not worth the cost, but sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I got back onto big twins in 2010 after a 20 yr hiatus. First was a FLHRC that I loved, then traded for 5 yrs worth of various batwings. Turned out the wife wouldn't get on anyway, and the majority of rides were less than 1000 miles. Didn't listen to the tunes or use the nav and missed my Road King.

I've got no regrets. The batwings have their place but I can handle the RK much easier, it's a better looking bike, and the w/s pops right off.

Luck with your choice!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:25 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

I'm completely biased, so take it FWIW. Hands down the RK. Although I agree with you on the two tone Blue & Silver. It's not bad, but Vivid Black or Silver looks simply amazing. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Road King because it a modern version of Elvis's '56 Duo Glide.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Have neither but coming from a Dyna,I'd go for the SG understanding full well I'll have to "tweek" it to get it to where I like it. Shocks,seat, etc. I just think it would just be less work for me to get to the point where I can say "perfect" But to be honest, it would start with looks and that would have to be your decision.Thats all I got....Good luck!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:24 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

My Last bike was a '14 Road King, put 34K miles on it. My new bike is a '17 Road Glide. Model year improvements aside both are great bikes, Is one better then the other? No, they are just different. Most of the differences between a Road King and a fairing bike are obvious. Some not so obvious are the tires,shocks and seat.

My Road king had 16" wheels front and back, lots of sidewall there for a cushy ride, The Glides not so much. But, the new suspension on the M8 brings the ride difference back to very close if not equal for most of the ride. The flip side is the Handling is much tighter on the Glides tires.

The Glide seats are not for me or my Wife, so its got a Road King seat on it. We went for That seat because its been good to us both.

Suspension travel has not been an issue yet, Jury is still out on that. For me its great ride but the wife has not had her say yet.

Last edited by sixguns; 12-28-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Instead of the SG you should look at either the RG or Ultra, and the RK you know you will be upgrading the seat and shocks your going to be close to the same money.

Quick Reply: Which One RK/SG