Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I've tracked 923 on my RGU and hers what I've got:

Avg MPG: 38.5
Last MPG: 34.5
Best MPG: 41.5

Just over 1,100 miles on the bike
The above has been my experience. I've got over 5k miles now and mileage is still the same.
While some are reporting phenomenal mileage (50+ mpg) from their M8, I would assume some of that may be riding style and some is variation of rolling resistance, but over 10 more miles per gallon is a bit much when comparing bone stock bike mileage.
Bob

Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 PM
MarkBorg
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm getting an average of 38 mpg with the stage 3.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 PM
knight2491
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have put 6,400 on my RGS M8. After the 1K I got 52 on average and as high as 56 mpg on touring across the country.

Example: I leave the DTE display on instead of the odo or trip whatever. Pull into a station and the six gallon tank takes 5 gallons. When I start the engine the DTE reads 300 miles which translates to 50 mpg average. On the M8 it was always over 300 to 336.

The M8 combined average is reported by H-D to be 45 mpg as apposed to the TC of 42.
I do not want to be the one that rains on this but there is NO WAY I can let this go, Not that I do not believe you but the only and I mean ONLY way you can get your MPG is to fill up ride fill up again and take the miles driven and divide that by the gallons you put back in the tank, the DTE is no way an accurate measuring tool to give you MPG.

I have been reading a lot of different posts and forums and you are the only one that seems to be getting 50 plus miles to the gallon. if you are getting that, I would contact Harley and have them figure out what they really did right on your bike.

The following users liked this post:
MNPGRider (05-30-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by knight2491
I do not want to be the one that rains on this but there is NO WAY I can let this go, Not that I do not believe you but the only and I mean ONLY way you can get your MPG is to fill up ride fill up again and take the miles driven and divide that by the gallons you put back in the tank, the DTE is no way an accurate measuring tool to give you MPG.

I have been reading a lot of different posts and forums and you are the only one that seems to be getting 50 plus miles to the gallon. if you are getting that, I would contact Harley and have them figure out what they really did right on your bike.
Probably shifts at or below 2000 rpm and cruises at 1500rpm.

Dont ride like a wuss and crack that throttle open

Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When driving like a wuss during the break in period, I got 50mpg.

On my last tank, I had a mix of super-slab, highway, and secondary roads. I got 45 on this trip. For those familiar with Maryland and Pennsylvania, I took MD 32 to I70, to I81 to PA 30 (Lincoln Highway) in Chambersburg. Lincoln Highway to Gettysburg (Battlefield Harley) and then back home on various roads through Carroll County. Most of the super-slab was at 70 mph.

Obviously, these are ideal conditions for good gas mileage. If hitting the twisties, cracking the throttle hard, or doing obstacle course drills (which I find fun) it is less. I've never calculated it less than 40MPG, although I haven't calculated the mileage on every tank.

At 70 mph the bike is at around 2,500 RPM. I typically shift around 2,500 RPM.

This was riding one up, lightly loaded on a RGU. I don't know how much weight would matter, but I'm about 190lbs.

Also, I calculated this and did not rely on the DTE.

Finally (sorry for the long post) I am super pleased with the range.

Last edited by Emil Wide Glide; 01-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:00 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

OK I would live to see 50 MPG on my bike... could give a damn less about the cost of gas, but I would be able to ride longer..... I have a stock M8 only change is the Reinharts slip ons... I am only getting 36 to 38..... Now I just did the 1K service and would like to see if it gets better....

Be Safe JIM

Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
OK I would live to see 50 MPG on my bike... could give a damn less about the cost of gas, but I would be able to ride longer..... I have a stock M8 only change is the Reinharts slip ons... I am only getting 36 to 38..... Now I just did the 1K service and would like to see if it gets better....

Be Safe JIM
I only have the Hi-Roller slip ons myself...best is 41.5 and only once. I can't claim to have ever been one to get high gas mileage in anything I've owned...personal problem which coincides with judicious throttle usage.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (01-23-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts
Default High Desert Mileage

A couple weeks ago my wife and I rode from Gilbert, AZ. to Sedona, AZ. On the trip to Sedona my speeds were in the 75 to 85 mph range and we got 38 mpg. The bike had around 550 miles on it when we left. On the ride home I kept it under 75 mph and average of 42 mpg.

This weekend I rode from Gilbert, AZ. to Sparks, NV. I tried to keep my speed at or below 75 mph. The first 230 miles I averaged 42 mpg. The second 230 miles I averaged 43 mpg. On the final legs of the trip I went into CA. so my speeds dropped somewhat. I did a 175 mile stretch and averaged 44 mpg. On the final 200 mile stretch I was at elevations up to 8000 ft. Because of highway conditions most of the time my speeds were 65 mph and below. I averaged 50 mpg on this final leg of the trip. These mpg were calculated by using my trip meter and the gallons on the pump. I filled the tank to the bottom of the fill tube each time for consistency. I think the bike may be getting better mileage as it gets broke in, but it also seems that cruising in the 65 - 70 mph range also enhances the mileage. I have also experienced that increased altitude seems to make for better mileage.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have put 6,400 on my RGS M8. After the 1K I got 52 on average and as high as 56 mpg on touring across the country.

However with winter gas and temps under 40 I am getting 48. I suspect it is like my oil cooled sportsters that I need to cover the oil cooler to get the engine up to full temp for the ECM to quit running the enrichener. And yes I do ride all winter.

I plan on testing mpg in the next few rides to see if it improves with the oil cooler covered. That worked on the Sportsters and Buell. They all ran 50 mpg until very cold weather and dropped to 40 until I realized that I needed to cover the cooler.

I should add that I use E10 87 octane from day one. Also 99% of my riding is on highways and not city.

I use mpg as a sensor for engine health. Only when every tuning parameter is optimal can the bike get the top mpg. Typically if the mileage drops any at all the most likely cause is the air filter. I have cleaned them prior to a 4K trip and had the mpg drop at 2K from the dust in the desert S.W. I have have checked mpg on several dozens of bikes for decades and it has been a great benefit.

Example: I leave the DTE display on instead of the odo or trip whatever. Pull into a station and the six gallon tank takes 5 gallons. When I start the engine the DTE reads 300 miles which translates to 50 mpg average. On the M8 it was always over 300 to 336.

The M8 combined average is reported by H-D to be 45 mpg as apposed to the TC of 42.
I've been on this site for over ten years, and this poster has always had the best gas mileage. I think I've got it figured out....his profile says he's from Illinois, but his signature shows a Canadian map. There's 4.8 quarts in a Canadian gallon of gas............................................

Quick Reply: M8 Fuel Mileage