Sponsored by:

When Going Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
stockers sound good, but they have a restrictive baffle in the core when you look thru..the street canons you can see thru..imo you'd be doing your engine a disservice by holding back the exhaust gas evacuation
So you are saying remove the CAT too? Did you?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
So you are saying remove the CAT too? Did you?
no, not necessary for my riding enjoyment

Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

no, not necessary for my riding enjoyment

Then what difference does it make what muffler you stick on the end?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Then what difference does it make what muffler you stick on the end?
uh, because I like it better? you're really starting to creep me out there podunk, er' poway.. excuse me

Attached Thumbnails When Going Stage II-vurt-da-furk-.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

uh, because I like it better? you're really starting to creep me out there podunk, er' poway.. excuse me
I'm gonna need a spreadsheet on why you like it better. Its the quality better? Or does it sound like a fart?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:30 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
I'm gonna need a spreadsheet on why you like it better. Its the quality better? Or does it sound like a fart?
"I'm gonna need a spreadsheet"
might as well start getting your 'sheet' together then cuz if I have to explain you wouldn't understand..why a 4.5" muffler with straight thru core compared to a stock more restricted muffler is preferred..we got 'poway' bwoltz with all his decades of vast knowledge working on Harleys asking the board if it's ok to do a stage II and leave the stock mufflers on, calling me a newbie and surprised how little I know..I don't care who you are, that right thar is funny ..Vurt Da Furk is all I can say

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-10-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry, now I understand I should get the mufflers cuz you like the sound.

FWIW, The reason why I'm concerned about flow is not because I want to do a stage 1. It's because I want to do a HP stage 2 at the first service and I like the looks/sound of the stock muffler. With the overlap of these smogged cams I suspect that they won't lose that much power with slightly more restrictive mufflers.. In fact it may not lose anything. These X style pipes jet the cylinders share both mufflers and you really only see significant increase in free flowing exhausts when there is overlap. I need something to keep me until the warranty runs out..

BTW Talked to the SM and his lead Perf tech at SDHD, They both have some concern about flow overall until I mentioned the Cat.. I guess they really haven't had a request for it. Said they'd be willing to try without changing muffs.. (cuz I like the sound) I can play with the tuning some and they don't have any problem with that.. I can go to different muffs later.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Sorry, now I understand I should get the mufflers cuz you like the sound.

FWIW, The reason why I'm concerned about flow is not because I want to do a stage 1. It's because I want to do a HP stage 2 at the first service and I like the looks/sound of the stock muffler. With the overlap of these smogged cams I suspect that they won't lose that much power with slightly more restrictive mufflers.. In fact it may not lose anything. These X style pipes jet the cylinders share both mufflers and you really only see significant increase in free flowing exhausts when there is overlap. I need something to keep me until the warranty runs out..

BTW Talked to the SM and his lead Perf tech at SDHD, They both have some concern about flow overall until I mentioned the Cat.. I guess they really haven't had a request for it. Said they'd be willing to try without changing muffs.. (cuz I like the sound) I can play with the tuning some and they don't have any problem with that.. I can go to different muffs later.
Bruce

Are you really going to break open your wallet and get a M8? Going to have to dig around the yard and find those tin cans you've buried! Time to sit down and call Mayor for this! As for the mufflers you will see a slight performance increase in the STOCK bike when/if you add them. That will increase if you do the Stage II HP cam but understand the HP cam loses Torque/HP to the stock bike below 4000 RPM. 3500 - 4000 RPM they are about even to slightly less but as you come down it gets greater and greater. I know you never run the engine below 4000 so it should not matter to you but take the CAT out and it's going to drop more in those lower RPM areas too.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Bruce

Are you really going to break open your wallet and get a M8? Going to have to dig around the yard and find those tin cans you've buried! Time to sit down and call Mayor for this! As for the mufflers you will see a slight performance increase in the STOCK bike when/if you add them. That will increase if you do the Stage II HP cam but understand the HP cam loses Torque/HP to the stock bike below 4000 RPM. 3500 - 4000 RPM they are about even to slightly less but as you come down it gets greater and greater. I know you never run the engine below 4000 so it should not matter to you but take the CAT out and it's going to drop more in those lower RPM areas too.
Already did last Friday.. Why call Mayor?

I understand that the HP cam looses TQ over the TQ cam at 4K but not the stock cam until 3K.. It wouldn't surprise me that the HP cam looks like the TQ cam with a little more back pressure. Trying to come up with a plan that will work till the warranty runs out then start over on the build..

FWIW. really like the way it runs stock..

Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Bruce, Daren (DURWOOD) Sheffer just got a new personal M8. He is going to tune/dyno every step. Not sure when you are planning the changes but he is going to post his findings along the way.

Quick Reply: When Going Stage II