Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you switch to FULL Synthetic Motor Oil ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
Not sure when this article was written but for now I'm going with Amsoil on all three after my 1k service.

http://www.harley-performance.com/amsoil-vs-harley.html
Hmmmm. An oil comparisons, written and conducted by Amsoil, claiming that Amsoil is better.... interesting.

The following users liked this post:
B Bop (01-14-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I had cams, heavy breather, and new mufflers put in my bike when band new. It was also dyno tuned to get the most from the new additions. Because of that, I changed the oil at 400 miles using Mobile 1 20w50 synthetic. The crank case oil looked pretty good but what came out of the filter was nasty. I just wanted the peace of mind to know that after the power runs, the oil was clean with no metal bits in it. I also had the 1000 mile service done and used HD SYN 3.
I am a believer in synthetic oil and I honestly believe that it cools down faster than conventional oil. That is why I also had the new fan powered oil cooler installed on the bike.
Just curious. Who did you have dyno tune your M8 and what Tuner did they use?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
As for synth, I'll use it only because of the oil cooled exhaust valves on this new one. I'm concerned the conventional stuff will begin coking up in those head ports, and don't want to risk it. Any lube experts care to comment on that?
think Steve Cole early on mentioned about a potential concern of coking in the oil passages, but may have been someone else...I'm sticking with conventional like I always have, but added the fan assisted oil cooler which so far looks like the way to go in reducing oil temps, and change it at 3K ish or as necessary...can't imagine that combo/plan torturing the additive package enough to keep it from performing adequately..I just don't care to go 5K regardless of circumstances and I sure don't care to dump spendy synthetic at 3K...time will tell tho

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-10-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

If I had not worked today I would have changed the oil today and put the bike on all Amsoil. Bike still has less than 200 miles on it. Will ride it to work in the morning. This weekend they are calling for a ice storm. So maybe next weekend I will get to put modern lub in my vintage modern motorcycle.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
What's said and what's reality can differ. When GM came out with the 4.2 motor we were getting variable cam DTC's. Subsequently a bulletin informed us to change oil (this was happening below 1K) that cleared everything up.

The cause was break in material suspended in oil jacking with the sensor. I've always dumped oil initially at 100 mi. & this is why. Don't tell me there's no harm in waiting.

As for synth, I'll use it only because of the oil cooled exhaust valves on this new one. I'm concerned the conventional stuff will begin coking up in those head ports, and don't want to risk it. Any lube experts care to comment on that?
=================

I don't think of myself as an oil expert but do have more then a few yrs under my belt researching & testing motor oil for a project i was working on along with 4.5+ decades under me belt wrenching bikes/cars including rebuilding motors & restoration work etc giving me a well rounded background.

So with that said i will give your question a shot & say i think your concern using std dino holds merit because it could cause the issue your reff to if it gets hot enough for long enough period of time.

So to be safe i rec you use a quality motorcycle/v-twin specific 20w-50 full syn oil like for example Spectro's Golden(semi-blend) or Platinum (full syn) motorcycle oil/M1-v-twin/Amsoil-MCV mfg's and not run it more then 4k-5k miles even though some oil mfg's state & or rec going 6k-8k+ miles on their full syn oil in an HD V-twin i'd not do it or rec it either.

HD's full syn syn3 oil placed in top 5 of 17 20w-50 bike oils tested in a lrg oil test Amsoil did a few yrs ago but i didnt like the way it performed in summer heat in my 09 96" vs Spectro's 20w-50 bike oil for HD's.

HD's Syn3 had more valve/lifter noise along with lower oil pressure (especially in summer heat) in my bike.

Also use a quality hi efficiency oil filter specifically mfg'd for use with full syn oil ,M1,amsoil,Bosch,Valvoline,Purolator and others offer them.

HD's 5 micron oil filter seem's to be a decent / adequate oil filter too.

I use either Spectro's semi-blend or full syn 20w-50 that's specifically designed & formulated for lrg disp HD V-twins,also use spectro oil thats specifically designed & formulated for the diff operating cond's in the prim case using spectro 85wt prim oil (mineral oil) & spectro 75w-140 syn 6spd trans oil.

I change the motor oil & filter @ 4k-5k miles max on HD's 5k mile rec,change prim case oil when motor oil & filter is changed @ 4k-5k miles vs HD's rec 10k mile prim case oil change and change trans oil @ 10k miles or 1yr (whichever is 1st) vs HD's rec 20k mile trans oil change.

Good luck.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 01-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Steel Wheels (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
think Steve Cole early on mentioned about a potential concern of coking in the oil passages, but may have been someone else...I'm sticking with conventional like I always have, but added the fan assisted oil cooler which so far looks like the way to go in reducing oil temps, and change it at 3K ish or as necessary...can't imagine that combo/plan torturing the additive package enough to keep it from performing adequately..I just don't care to go 5K regardless of circumstances and I sure don't care to dump spendy synthetic at 3K...time will tell tho
=======================================
" added the fan assisted oil cooler which so far looks like the way to go in reducing oil temps "

Your on the money with that statement.

I installed a fan assisted oil cooler on my bike 2 yrs ago which reduced oil temp in summer heat approx 50deg F which resulted in multiple improvements in engine perf & overall riding comfort right off the bat which are as follows:

NOTE-KEEP IN MIND IT'S ALSO THE OIL'S JOB IN AN HD V-TWIN TO REMOVE HEAT FROM THE MOTOR SO WHEN OIL TEMP IS REDUCED APPROX 50DEG F IN SUMMER HEAT MOTOR TEMP IS ALSO SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED @ THE SAME TIME TOO.

* OIL PRESSURE @ IDLE & CRUISE IMPROVED BY A SOLID 10-12PSI.

IT WEN'T FROM BEING 7-8-ISH PSI @ IDLE & 32-35-ISH PSI @ CRUISE WITHOUT THE FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER TO NOW A SOLID/CONSISTENT 18PSI @ IDLE & 45-47PSI @ CRUISE USING SAME MFG'S GRADE 20W-50 MOTORCYCLE OIL IN 90+ DEG F SUMMER HEAT.

* VALVES/LIFTERS NOW REMAIN QUIET.

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING.

NOTE, TECHRON CLEANING OF CARBON FROM COMBUSTION CHAMBERS,PISTONS,VALVES & INJECTORS JUST PRIOR TO EVERY MOTOR OIL & FILTER CHANGE WAS PARTIALLY RESP FOR REDUCING/STOPPING DETONATION TOO)

* MOTOR NOW RETAINS MOST OF THE POWER,TORQUE & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE IT USED TO ALWAYS LOOSE IN WARMER SUMMER HEAT.

* HOT RESTARTS POST FUELING UP IN SUMMER HEAT ARE NOW FASTER/EASIER DUE TO BATTERY/MOTOR/STARTER ALL BEING LESS HEAT SOAKED.

* BIT LESS HEAT IS HITTING THE RIDERS NOW TOO.

I also installed Wards Cooling Fans that are designed to reduce temp in heads & upper cyls too which is a good thing ,but they weren't a large contributor to reducing oil temp 50deg f in my bike in summer heat which is where the fan assisted oil cooler shines vs non fan assisted oil coolers that fall on their face efficiency wise when a bikes sitting still @ stoplights & or when in slow moving traffic due to lack of airflow thru the oil cooler in those cond's.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 01-10-2017 at 10:18 PM.
mjwebb (01-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Scott.

I'm only going synth in the motor for the concern stated previously - those exhaust valve cooling ports. Like you, I'll be adding a fan assisted oil cooler come spring. Also, I've looked, and it doesn't appear Howard's fans are going to be useful on these new heads.

Gonna be a learning curve over this next year; should be interesting.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tuner and Dyno

SW Thomas The tuner is an HD pro street tuner and Smokey Mountain HD did the install and the dyno run.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:53 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
SW Thomas The tuner is an HD pro street tuner and Smokey Mountain HD did the install and the dyno run.
Harley actually prefers performing the smart tune on the dyno instead of riders doing it, Claims results are better on the dyno because you can cover all the cells.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM
UnleashedBeast
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
think Steve Cole early on mentioned about a potential concern of coking in the oil passages, but may have been someone else...I'm sticking with conventional like I always have
Oil Coking is the side effect of cheap lubricants, not top grade "True Synthetics". Your logic is backwards actually. There are more benefits to a True Synthetic that what many people who have no understanding of lubricant technology realize. Sure, it's a bit more investment, but no big deal if you are performing the service yourself. In fact, oil analysis have proven 3K oil changes with top tier lubricants is a waste. The lubricant will have more life remaining.

Quick Reply: When do you switch to FULL Synthetic Motor Oil ???