Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you switch to FULL Synthetic Motor Oil ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
"Getting HD 360, gets you down to the dealer to talk to the guys." WTF does that mean, you have no idea wtf you're talking about...we avg easy over 15K a year touring with our Chapter friends going all over the place, a lot of them with older high mileage bikes that don't run synthetic and have never had to tear them apart, get a grip..you're describing the exception and not the rule, ignoring the millions of high mileage bikes over decades that have run conventional oil and haven't needed the engines to be taken apart

"I've bet I've pissed more people off on oil threads" ah c'mon now, give yourself some credit..not just oil threads

yeah, I don't keep a bike forever but do run them hard...my taking motors apart days went away with my motocross and muscle car years..but at least we agree on Rotella T 15W40..that's the only oil I used in my 383 anyway..I've had so many bikes, cars and boats and now that I'm older just want to ride and not work on stuff..been there done all that for decades..I'll just wait for your response telling me again how little I know and how much you do
15K a year is a good average.. I thought your argument against synthetic was that it was too expensive. I was just pointing it out..

Thank you..

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
15K a year is a good average.. I thought your argument against synthetic was that it was too expensive. I was just pointing it out..

Thank you..
it's all good..the comment implying all I do is ride down to the dealership to bs with people irked me obviously...I've always been an OCD gear head, probably take better care of my lawnmower than most people do their cars..learned how to jet our race bikes when i was a teen, we'd sometimes change out air filters between races and rejet at different tracks, always used Bel Ray and changed trans fluid every race or two at most, ran Golden Spectro at 32:1 and learned to read plugs, etc, etc.. if I ever thought for a second not using synthetic was going harm my Harley engines it would have been in there long ago

Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Lower ZDDP in engine lubricants only affected high pressure cam shaft/lifter applications from the Flat Tappet muscle car era. Newer overhead cam technology wasn't impacted. During my studies on Ford's DOHC modular engines, a lubricant with higher ZDDP didn't reduce wear metals in oil analysis when compared to a lubricant from the API SM or SN reformulation (reduced ZDDP), assuming it was a top tier lubricant.

I too was once an advocate for high levels of ZDDP. Not anymore. Top tier blends have compensated with other anti-wear additives that were not catalytic poisoning, yet kept things in check.
Well, a motorcycle engine isn't a DOHC and doesn't have the modern technology that today's automobile engines have. So it's your opinion that the increased zinc and phosphorus doesn't benefit a motorcycle engine? If so, I think you're in the minority.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
it's all good..the comment implying all I do is ride down to the dealership to bs with people irked me obviously...I've always been an OCD gear head, probably take better care of my lawnmower than most people do their cars..learned how to jet our race bikes when i was a teen, we'd sometimes change out air filters between races and rejet at different tracks, always used Bel Ray and changed trans fluid every race or two at most, ran Golden Spectro at 32:1 and learned to read plugs, etc, etc.. if I ever thought for a second not using synthetic was going harm my Harley engines it would have been in there long ago
Yeah I know how to rile people up..

I always been into performance but a little bit more technical than you. An example is in your pic.. I owned an 76 MR250, same as the CR250 Elsinore but quiet pipe, 2 1/2 gallon tank, iron sleeved cylinder.. One of the motor mods I came up with was to recut the squish to get it tight. It involved whacking 0.075" off the head and doming the chamber. Stock was sort of double cone.. Also had to remove 0.040 from the cylinder to get the top of the piston flush with the cylinder. CR was bumped a little when done. Doing so made the bike run cooler and a bit more power. This worked out so well the machinist buddy, that helped with the machining was in tight with the Husky Baja racers, started doing it to their race bikes. It solved a problem with their bikes seizing up in desert races where the throttle was wide open for long periods of time.

I got the info for the mod out of Gordon Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook. Still have the book.

I also built a 4 stroke 160cc dirt bike that used Honda TL125 motor in a 125 Elsinore frame. Head came off a CB125 (bigger valves), tranny out of a CL125 (better spacing). Used Ceriani forks off a Hercules 250 enduro with timken bearings, Curnutt Shocks, Redline Swingarm. Finished it shortly after the time Honda came out with the XR185.. Fun bike. Suspension was much better than the XR.

There are plenty good dinos out there. Still, I use synthetic motor oil in my HDs when I found it cheap at walmart. Before that used 20w50 GTX. Still use GTX on new motors for break-in.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:25 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Yeah I know how to rile people up..

I always been into performance but a little bit more technical than you. An example is in your pic.. I owned an 76 MR250, same as the CR250 Elsinore but quiet pipe, 2 1/2 gallon tank, iron sleeved cylinder.. One of the motor mods I came up with was to recut the squish to get it tight. It involved whacking 0.075" off the head and doming the chamber. Stock was sort of double cone.. Also had to remove 0.040 from the cylinder to get the top of the piston flush with the cylinder. CR was bumped a little when done. Doing so made the bike run cooler and a bit more power. This worked out so well the machinist buddy, that helped with the machining was in tight with the Husky Baja racers, started doing it to their race bikes. It solved a problem with their bikes seizing up in desert races where the throttle was wide open for long periods of time.

I got the info for the mod out of Gordon Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook. Still have the book.

I also built a 4 stroke 160cc dirt bike that used Honda TL125 motor in a 125 Elsinore frame. Head came off a CB125 (bigger valves), tranny out of a CL125 (better spacing). Used Ceriani forks off a Hercules 250 enduro with timken bearings, Curnutt Shocks, Redline Swingarm. Finished it shortly after the time Honda came out with the XR185.. Fun bike. Suspension was much better than the XR.

There are plenty good dinos out there. Still, I use synthetic motor oil in my HDs when I found it cheap at walmart. Before that used 20w50 GTX. Still use GTX on new motors for break-in.
yeah, I just scratched the surface on my dirt bike examples..we did all the goodies, porcupine heads, porting, 2 stage Boyesen reeds, FMF and DG pipes, Barnett clutches, FOX air shocks, Works, Ohlins, White Brothers monos you name it we had it...damn 76 RM 125 I raced in my early years I swear the power band must have been from 10750 - 11000 rpm's and if you dropped out of it you killed the bike, basically had to scream the **** out of them the whole time and banged gears without the clutch both up and down and just used the clutch in turns, always amazed me how those transmissions held up as well as they did most of the time..it was absolutely imperative to know how to change jetting, change the air filters, trans fluid and spark plugs all the time and run 32:1, raced 125, 250 and 500 classes for about a decade before injuries and work made me quit..then 20 years later got back into racing Vintage MX and started buying up as many as the same bikes as I could afford and rebuilt and raced them with my son...quit a few years ago for good, had a ton of fun together and we were lucky to not get hurt and lose our jobs, ..funnest times of my life tho!

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-14-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM
UnleashedBeast
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Well, a motorcycle engine isn't a DOHC and doesn't have the modern technology that today's automobile engines have. So it's your opinion that the increased zinc and phosphorus doesn't benefit a motorcycle engine? If so, I think you're in the minority.
You are very correct, it's not a DOHC. However, is it still a high pressure application like old school muscle cars flat tappet?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
You are very correct, it's not a DOHC. However, is it still a high pressure application like old school muscle cars flat tappet?
Well you still have rockers arms sliding across valve ends.. Not uncommon to see the rocker / valve ends damaged. Rollers seems to take care of that tho.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Tool Engineer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil one great oil k&n oil filer and you can pick it all up at Advance Auto Parts they have 20/50 v twin oil made just for Harleys